Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
I had my modem die in the truck last week, i got the ol, none to be had routine due to covid 19 etc, i made a call to Ford customer care and it blew me away how nice they are, they are working to find one for me through the backorder stuff, and if nothing else she said ford will give the order to harvest one from an existing new vehicle.........so we will see. but it wouldnt hurt to call.
Sponsored

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Not meant to hyjack, but is going with the current flow of discussion...

This is my first new Ford. I have high expectations from customer service as I have high expectations for myself in customer service. I tried to buy my new Ranger from a local dealer. I told him I was looking around, but wanted to do business with them. We talked about what I wanted. After 1 week, I emailed about his progress. I know all the trucks available within 150 miles, So I knew what he would find. He said he had a few, but was waiting to hear back from couple dealers before he offered up to me. 10 days go by and I email again looking for an update. No response. Waited another week, nothing, so I went to another dealer and bought. I know they were short handed, but as soon as I signed papers, that was it. I'm still learning about all the new technology... I was fair with my survey and to the salesman pre-sale. I got an email and phone call from selling salesman, and he was respectfully upset.
First visit to servicing dealer, service manage looks at the selling dealer sticker and attitude starts. I explained what happened, but still no pleasing him. He was respectful, but could detect attitude. I told him I wanted to start a working relationship, I'd be happy to do cash work with them if I'm treated fairly. Since FORD corporate told me it was up to the dealer whether or not to void warrantee with leveling kit (strange) I had them put it in. Almost 3 hours labor. They had to send out truck for alignment as theirs wasn't equipt to handle lifted. Came back with dried muddy feet prints on new carpeting, all over drivers door sill. AND, when I got home, the alignment spec printout had camber on right from out of range by .02 I'm eating this as a lesson. All cash work to be done where they put pride in work, and want my business.
Nothing to do with me here, but all the employees look miserable besides Service Adviser and Service Manager.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Not meant to hyjack, but is going with the current flow of discussion...

This is my first new Ford. I have high expectations from customer service as I have high expectations for myself in customer service. I tried to buy my new Ranger from a local dealer. I told him I was looking around, but wanted to do business with them. We talked about what I wanted. After 1 week, I emailed about his progress. I know all the trucks available within 150 miles, So I knew what he would find. He said he had a few, but was waiting to hear back from couple dealers before he offered up to me. 10 days go by and I email again looking for an update. No response. Waited another week, nothing, so I went to another dealer and bought. I know they were short handed, but as soon as I signed papers, that was it. I'm still learning about all the new technology... I was fair with my survey and to the salesman pre-sale. I got an email and phone call from selling salesman, and he was respectfully upset.
First visit to servicing dealer, service manage looks at the selling dealer sticker and attitude starts. I explained what happened, but still no pleasing him. He was respectful, but could detect attitude. I told him I wanted to start a working relationship, I'd be happy to do cash work with them if I'm treated fairly. Since FORD corporate told me it was up to the dealer whether or not to void warrantee with leveling kit (strange) I had them put it in. Almost 3 hours labor. They had to send out truck for alignment as theirs wasn't equipt to handle lifted. Came back with dried muddy feet prints on new carpeting, all over drivers door sill. AND, when I got home, the alignment spec printout had camber on right from out of range by .02 I'm eating this as a lesson. All cash work to be done where they put pride in work, and want my business.
Nothing to do with me here, but all the employees look miserable besides Service Adviser and Service Manager.
I continue to be amazed by stories like this. I've never had a dealer give me any attitude about repairs. I honestly don't understand why they should care where you purchased the truck. If it is a warranty issue Ford will pay them. If not, you will be paying them, and as long as they get paid, why should they care where you purchased it? I've heard that dealers make more money on service than on sales (don't know if that is true or not), but it just seems really weird to me.

Customer service almost seems to be a dying art these days. A few people (and companies) get it, but too many don't. When I find companies who do get it, they get my loyalty and future business. When I find companies that don't, I move on. For almost everything, there are a lot of choices and life is too short to get stressed over bad customer service.

One of my best customer experiences was with a local storage place - not one of the chains, but a locally owned storage place. I moved a bunch of stuff from my mom's place there from one of the chains (they kept jacking up the rent about every 5-6 months). She gave me a great deal - no rent bumps. And when I was ready to move out, she knew my son and his wife had a place there (I don't know how she knew), and asked if I wanted to give them the credit left after I moved out. When I thanked her, she said that she tries to run the place like all the tenants are family. I thought that was a great metaphor for good customer service (well, assuming you don't have a terribly dysfunctional family :LOL:)

Anyway, I guess I've just been fortunate in my experiences with Ford dealers. I hope you are able to find a good dealer near you.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
OP update?????

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
OP, this happens. And will continue to do so as dealership techs are pushed hard to get the work out as quickly as possible resulting in missed steps in a quality repair.
This is results of the dealership survey system witch we in the industry think it's broken. Too many soccer mom's and dad's with the kids and impatient levels very short, bomb that survey, kills the service writers paycheck then cooperate looks down on them and says "what's wrong there?"
When I left morale levels were at an all time low.

Then you come along there and deal with this. My advise, even if you're the most least mechanical minded, you still have eyes. Open that hood right there in the pick up lane and see if everything appears in place. Check that oil level too. Let them know that's your pride and joy and trust takes a lot these days.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I continue to be amazed by stories like this. I've never had a dealer give me any attitude about repairs. I honestly don't understand why they should care where you purchased the truck. If it is a warranty issue Ford will pay them. If not, you will be paying them, and as long as they get paid, why should they care where you purchased it? I've heard that dealers make more money on service than on sales (don't know if that is true or not), but it just seems really weird to me.

Customer service almost seems to be a dying art these days. A few people (and companies) get it, but too many don't. When I find companies who do get it, they get my loyalty and future business. When I find companies that don't, I move on. For almost everything, there are a lot of choices and life is too short to get stressed over bad customer service.

One of my best customer experiences was with a local storage place - not one of the chains, but a locally owned storage place. I moved a bunch of stuff from my mom's place there from one of the chains (they kept jacking up the rent about every 5-6 months). She gave me a great deal - no rent bumps. And when I was ready to move out, she knew my son and his wife had a place there (I don't know how she knew), and asked if I wanted to give them the credit left after I moved out. When I thanked her, she said that she tries to run the place like all the tenants are family. I thought that was a great metaphor for good customer service (well, assuming you don't have a terribly dysfunctional family :LOL:)

Anyway, I guess I've just been fortunate in my experiences with Ford dealers. I hope you are able to find a good dealer near you.
OP, this happens. And will continue to do so as dealership techs are pushed hard to get the work out as quickly as possible resulting in missed steps in a quality repair.
This is results of the dealership survey system witch we in the industry think it's broken. Too many soccer mom's and dad's with the kids and impatient levels very short, bomb that survey, kills the service writers paycheck then cooperate looks down on them and says "what's wrong there?"
When I left morale levels were at an all time low.

Then you come along there and deal with this. My advise, even if you're the most least mechanical minded, you still have eyes. Open that hood right there in the pick up lane and see if everything appears in place. Check that oil level too. Let them know that's your pride and joy and trust takes a lot these days.
[/QUO

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I always make it a point to look under the hood and do a quick walk around to make sure there are no visible problems. not a bad idea because yea, were all human but the real issue for the OP is what do they do about this???? a simple error can have very serious consequences

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely! If that dealer tries to back down from obviously their mistake, then they shouldn't be in business. I'm sure as I'm sitting here now they have replaced a bunch of major parts due simple human error. Every dealer has. Some more than others. Sounds like this one isn't good.
But as a side note, quickie lube joints has created a lot of work for dealer shops for really dumb mistakes. I really don't know how they survive.
Hoping for OP this has a positive outcome.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely! If that dealer tries to back down from obviously their mistake, then they shouldn't be in business. I'm sure as I'm sitting here now they have replaced a bunch of major parts due simple human error. Every dealer has. Some more than others. Sounds like this one isn't good.
But as a side note, quickie lube joints has created a lot of work for dealer shops for really dumb mistakes. I really don't know how they survive.
Hoping for OP this has a positive outcome.
Still curious how a 15k oil change turned into a radiator cap MIA a week after said services. waiting for OP to share specifics of the timeline :p

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger
Sorry to her of your problems. I worked for Ford Motor for 32 years and am concerned when I hear how the dealer treated you. I live north of Tampa and have excellent Service depts. in both dealers that are near me. I would always talk to people and check reviews the cheapest price is not always the best deal. Good luck

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I also think no damage was done. The truck's 'anti self destruction systems' did their job. You will know soon enough once the system is pressure tested, refilled and you get a few miles on it.

The coolant level should hold if everything is good. ....hmm, why did the dealer have to remove the reservoir cap? If your coolant was low maybe another problem caused it.

Since you have a hoople head service dept, these systems need to be refilled with a vacuum coolant refill device. (Don't know if the Ranger has a cap elsewhere. Most OAT sealed systems don't) Adding coolant to the reservoir and sending you on your way won't work.

Your tragedy is a big reason I became a DIY freak at a young age. Put your trust in God, but not other people doing work for you.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
I respectfully disagree that the OP has any culpability in the damage. The responsible party represents themselves as a professional service shop, and they don't stipulate that you, as a nonprofessional are required to check their work at anytime after they perform it. What if it was a hidden part, or a brake line or a fuel part that they left off? Would that still be the consumers responsibility? That being a fact, there now is the issue of damage caused by the obvious negligence of this professional service shop. Without any indication of damage, what can be done? I think what should be done here is to have the dealer pay for a 150k mile extended warranty on the motor. They probably won't want to do that, but most service shops don't want to be held responsible for their actual mistakes these days. they're big on saying- "I take full responsibility", but then doing nothing to take full responsibility.. All in all, i think that would be the fair route, or have a signed letter guaranteeing the dealer will fix any engine issue to 150k miles, then it's no cost to them unless there's a failure. That's what's fair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gecko157

Gecko157

First Name
AA-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Get ready for "Sorry Mr. Somebody, looks like you forgot to put the coolant cap back on when you installed your CAI"...

Even if they installed it, they are going to pull that BS.
Naw, been there since before the first oil change and have photos 6 months ago showing the CIA, the wouldn't be that stupid.
Sponsored