Hard Tonneau Cover Recommendations?

Wayne Kubeck

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
How many shims did you have to use? I just bought one and it should arrive soon. I’m also a little worried that it may dent easy, no garage and I have 2 walnut trees near my driveway!
Did that come with the LED lights?
Sponsored

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the Xtang Xceed cover.... Love it!
  • Virtually flush and seamless fit all the way around.
  • The finish matches the other black finish on the truck.
  • Super strong.... I've knelt on it. :whew:
  • EnduraCoat finish over the aluminum panels.
  • Secure rotary-release handle on rear panel.
  • Has not leaked at all (even with a power-wand spray wash)
IMG_6379.jpeg

IMG_6383.jpeg

IMG_6384.jpeg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hey man, I'm looking to seal up the tailgate like you did here. I just installed a Roll-N-Lock and a Bedrug liner. Could you tell me exactly what tailgate seal you used? Also, I see where you put it around the sides near the taillights, but is there anywhere else you put it?

BayouBeau

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 4x4 STX
Occupation
Army
I just ordered the Lomax Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau from TonneauFactoryOutlet. I got a great deal and I'm excited for it to get here now!

I'll post pictures when it comes it with a review.

Wayne Kubeck

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Well just pulled the trigger on the Undercover Ultra Flex!! Pretty Excited!! Hopefully it's as good as it looks!!

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Hey man, I'm looking to seal up the tailgate like you did here. I just installed a Roll-N-Lock and a Bedrug liner. Could you tell me exactly what tailgate seal you used? Also, I see where you put it around the sides near the taillights, but is there anywhere else you put it?
Hey Nick! I used the Xtang MaxSeal.... great stuff, looks and performs as well as OEM seal. I bought 2 packs because I wanted to use a double strip vertically (out by the taillights and along the inside seam) probably over-kill, but also figured I would mess up the first time somewhere. o_O

I also installed it before I did the BedRug as the lower horizontal strip runs under the BedRug on the tailgate.

Just plan it out and take your time. So far my bed is bone-dry everywhere!
Cheers!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I just ordered the Lomax Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau from TonneauFactoryOutlet. I got a great deal and I'm excited for it to get here now!

I'll post pictures when it comes it with a review.
Beau, do you have a link for the lomax at the TonneauFactoryOutlet? That is the cover I want but could not find it on their website.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
We went a slightly different direction than the other folks in this thread. Since we weren't silly and thought the truck was the family hauler, we have a 6' bed which makes a rolling cover very handy in nearly all situations. The pro also has rails where you can put a few hundred more lbs if you bother to get accessory racks and tie downs.

RetraxPro XR model. Have had zero leaks, fits like a glove, locks solidly and is incredibly difficult to puncture with a pocket knife.

https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2019/ford/ranger

RoadTripRanger.jpg

SilverXLT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT , CC 2WD
Used the shims that came with it. I don’t think walnuts will damage this. It’s kind of rigid so I doubt it will anything.
What do the shims look like? I just received my MX4 and I see no shims for the clamps? Are they metal? I see the rubber shim strips for the brackets. But I see nothing that looks like they would work for the clamps? Thanks!

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
What do the shims look like? I just received my MX4 and I see no shims for the clamps? Are they metal? I see the rubber shim strips for the brackets. But I see nothing that looks like they would work for the clamps? Thanks!
They’re a cork like material. They may be attached already.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Used the shims that came with it. I don’t think walnuts will damage this. It’s kind of rigid so I doubt it will anything.
I had a walnut tree that hung over the top of my driveway. I parked my POS 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 under the tree when we first moved into our house. The damage the walnuts did to two of my vehicles that’s parked outside was amazing. They both looked like they were in a seriously bad hailstorm. When those walnuts came down and hit the ground it made a very loud THUD! I kept the Dodge parked there until I got the tree cut down. I think the welts gave it more character.

Just from my experience with that cursed walnut tree, I would not under estimate their ability to reek havoc on anything parked under them!

BayouBeau

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 4x4 STX
Occupation
Army
Beau, do you have a link for the lomax at the TonneauFactoryOutlet? That is the cover I want but could not find it on their website.
Hey, sorry it took me a little while to respond.

https://shop.tonneaucovered.com/tfo-leads/

They don't have the access LOMAX hard tri-fold listed on the website but they sell it if you request a quote. For the brand select Access (even though the actual brand is Agri-cover). I was quoted $749.99 including shipping. This was the best deal I could find by at least $100. The cover shipped on Friday afternoon and arrived Monday morning.

The guys at Tonneau Factory Outlet were great and super easy to work with. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I installed the cover as soon as it arrived. It was a super easy install, took me a couple of hours because I'm OCD.

I haven't sealed the tailgate yet but so far I haven't had any water leaking from the top. I went with this cover vs the bakflip because I wanted to be able to see my cargo if I needed to use the whole bed.

It's really easy to remove and replace the cover by yourself from the bed. You will need a buddy if you don't want to climb into the bed.

I think in the Matte Black finish it looks like it's an OEM part. I'm extremely happy with it.

Here are a couple of pictures.
IMG_20200311_122427.jpg

IMG_20200311_122433.jpg

IMG_20200311_122449.jpg

IMG_20200311_122459.jpg

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Well just pulled the trigger on the Undercover Ultra Flex!! Pretty Excited!! Hopefully it's as good as it looks!!
@Wayne Kubeck any comments since you got your Ultra Flex? One of the main (hopeful) attractions to the Ultimate Flex is the carpet lining. I am hoping it will moderate the radiant heat from the black panels. Others posts have indicated the aluminum panels can get pretty hot in the sun. I often carry instruments and other equipment that I would try to keep from highs or lows.

Do you think the carpeting makes a difference?

Wayne Kubeck

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
@Wayne Kubeck any comments since you got your Ultra Flex? One of the main (hopeful) attractions to the Ultimate Flex is the carpet lining. I am hoping it will moderate the radiant heat from the black panels. Others posts have indicated the aluminum panels can get pretty hot in the sun. I often carry instruments and other equipment that I would try to keep from highs or lows.

Do you think the carpeting makes a difference?
Honestly,

I really like it, the panels on the top seem like they will last longer than the MX4 which is similar and has a better warranty. One of my drain tubes was busted from the factory shipping and was replaced with no issues, just provide the serial number. Also had a $100 mail in rebate off the price I paid from Tonneaucovered.com of $879..no tax or shipping. They are scratch resistant and not sure if the carpet helps the heat it's been cold here in CT....what it seems to do is make the interior quieter. I will forewarn the instructions are absolute garbage.....the vehicle specific supplement is vaguely helpful but once you get the gist of it....the install is actually really easy. The provided cork shims are pretty useless so I used new carpenter pencils instead...laugh if you will but they fit perfect. Overall I would not let the directions bother you...the way it looks with the semi gloss black panels after install to me seems a perfect blend to the bed rail caps.

Hope this helps!!!

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I had a Truxedo Lo-Pro on my Canyon that I really liked. I was ready to do another Truxedo roll-up until I watched a Ranger install video and saw it was pretty much a kludge. I started looking at folding covers and settled on Extang Xceed. I found the best price at TonneauCovered.com, ordered on 4/2 and it came on 4/7. There's also a $100 rebate.

I installed it by myself in about an hour. The instructions are actually pretty good. It comes with an add-on front bulkhead that fills in the space at the front of the bed. I found the fit to be very good. I have a good sized dent on the inside of 1 panel that I'll try not to worry about. I had quite a few aluminum chips. I've read of others having the same with Extang, don't know why they can't blow them off in packaging. It started spitting rain right after I opened the box and began to rain pretty hard as I was tightening the bolts. I need to install the drains and a few other details to finish up.

I liked that my roll-up cover was out of the way quickly. We'll see how this is in use. I think it looks really good on the truck.

It came in a really big box:
20200407_125642.jpg

On the truck:
20200407_141153.jpg

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Honestly,

I really like it,. .... Overall I would not let the directions bother you...the way it looks with the semi gloss black panels after install to me seems a perfect blend to the bed rail caps.

Hope this helps!!!
Thanks @Wayne Kubeck. Did it come with a bulk head rail, so that it seals behind the cab? The old (or maybe not old) installation instructions show just a soft foam bulkhead seal. Like a Home Depot's door weather seal. I am hoping they have updated their config.
Sponsored