hankook tire sidewall issue? anybody else?

Britman

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Supercrew XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have 15,000 paved road miles on mine. I treat them occasionally with 303. In this picture taken today they haven't been wet or treated in about 2 weeks. Sometimes I notice a faint brownish ring after a period without dressing and in particular when its hot and driven in the rain but it fades away nicely with the 303.

IMG_2800.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff

Doctorfong

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX/FX4 (Wife's Car 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth)
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Hankook tires are crap. Bottom of the barrel. One of mine was bad by 500 miles. When we were still in the tire business we refused to carry them.
I have 26K on mine, they're almost ready to replace. These have lasted longer than the first and last set of Hankook's I'll ever buy.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my with Goodyear Wrangler with Kevlar tires. It looks awesome and is made in our country. Not only that, our truck spends its life entirely 80% towing the travel trailer.
Maybe it is time to look at other tires?

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
I cleaned mine with Eagle One tire cleaner and a brush and it went away.
Since I can wipe the white off with my fingers, I doubt it's a structural problem with the tires

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Here is something I actually know about. I don't know about the original tires that are white but I do know about the pics of the brown tires.

The browning is the tire additives blooming to the surface of the tire. Could be any number of additives but it is common. Some tires are worse than others and the Hankook's I have on my Lariat are the worse I have ever seen.

I was at one time a chemist for a large company and my job was to develop boat and car care products. Never came out with a tire cleaner to remove the brown as it wasn't really an issue back then. Tires have changed. I have however spoken with chemists at other companies and understand the problem of tire browning.

I tried everything on my tires to remove this brown crap and I mean everything. The only thing that worked for me was Mother's Back to Black Tire Cleaner. The directions are very explicit and you must follow them word for work. It is a strong cleaner and could damage high end wheels. Mother's makes more than one tire cleaner and the names are very similar. This is the one you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-09324-Back-Black-Cleaner/dp/B00B9W4IHY?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

After the tire are clean, apply a nice protectant. 303 is nice as is the Mothers product that is very similar.

I don't work for Mother's and never have. It is just the only product that actually removes the brown and doesn't just cover it up.

Good luck

HowIconic!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired Transportation Investigator
Mine has 2300 miles and the same issue. Looks like garbage!

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Trust me, this is the only thing that has worked for me and I tried everything. The brown comes back and I just repeat the same procedure.

I have about 45,000 on these tires and they won’t make 50k so I’m not going to worry about them anymore. It is late fall and soon early winter here so the tires will be mucky the whole time from now until replaced. Won’t be buying these again because of this issue.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
No one needs to bother talking to Hancock about this or any other issues on stock tires. You have to file with Ford for anything stick tire related.

Tcarter

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercab
Occupation
Retired
Have this issue with the black outer tire layer peeling off to expose white. I have never in my 55 yrs of owning cars have I noticed this on any tire I've owned. I think these are cheap Korean rubber. Will replace them with another brand when the time comes.

16973091714413867553604476483265.jpg
Sponsored