hankook tire sidewall issue? anybody else?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Not arguing with you, at all. Just throwing info out to you.....
And I hope you get good results from your dealer....but he/they will more than likely push you off to the tire manufacturer claiming it is their product and not a Ford product. Tire info in your owners packet will always point you to the tire manufacturer if there's a problem with them.
Agreed, I expect little from the dealer if mine do it. Hankook warranty, I hope would fix it though. Upgrade to AT/2 for free, maybe? Depends on the mileage is, probably % discount.

Personally I hate the white letters showing. I didn't get the dealer to flip them in the purchase price, because I thought they'd grow on me. Since I have gone more black, and they will stand out even more now when they go back on.

I'll be happy if they flip mine for free, lol.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so, have any of you gave them a good wash or two and a good scrubbing, you know, like you should do to your ballsac at least once a week?
250 miles makes me think you havent.
how about try that, post the results.
otherwise its time to turn this thread into another damper debate.
To answer your question yes. The truck has 2100 miles now. That pic was taken with 250 miles on the clock. I've driven almost 2000 more miles since- in 5 weeks. And yes, I have cleaned them there times so far with purple power and a brush. Then dressed them. They look fine until dressing wears off. Before dressing they look bad. And I do my ball sack on the daily. At least.

Sparky6753

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Occupation
Semi retired
I ve had the same problem with Goodyear’s in the past A couple scrubbing with a stiff tire brush and Wesleys Bleach White and problem solved. Trying to resolve this with the dealer or manufacturer would be like barking up a dead horses butt

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
with 250 miles on my brand new 21 fx4, i saw this after driving 200 miles in the rain. i have since washed/dressed tires and it goes away only to come back as the dressing washes off. Every tire exhibits this to some degree. defect or something oxidizing out of the tire??

tire-20210610_215753.jpg
I had no problems, aesthetic or otherwise, with the Hankooks on my former 2014 Explorer or my current 2019 Ranger. Even though this probably has no effect on performance or durability, it looks terrible, and you should not have to put up with this on new tires--or have to constantly clean and dress them to keep them looking presentable. New vehicles (and their tires) are supposed to look sharp--that is why we pay a premium for them over used!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I expect little from the dealer if mine do it. Hankook warranty, I hope would fix it though. Upgrade to AT/2 for free, maybe? Depends on the mileage is, probably % discount.

Personally I hate the white letters showing. I didn't get the dealer to flip them in the purchase price, because I thought they'd grow on me. Since I have gone more black, and they will stand out even more now when they go back on.

I'll be happy if they flip mine for free, lol.
I agree with you on the white letters, by the way. I either flip them or replace them with BSW on my vehicles!

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
will say the other sides of the tires are just brownish. but they also don't have the white wall around the sidewall like the white lettered sides do.
If you drive fast, the sidewalls will create stripes! I see a new trend.
3514E9B2-5B73-4376-8170-3A737572EC82.jpeg

SalukiRanger

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SCrew 4x2 Lariat Ingot Silver Ebony 18 Tires Technology Pkg
Occupation
Retired
Bought some takeoffs from a member here, same crappy look unless just treated. Only tires I've ever seen this on.

Cowboys22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst
I had Hankook tires on my 2017 Explorer. Will never own another set of them. They wore out on light driving in ~38k miles. Many other owners had to replace ~30k miles.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
First set of Hankooks I had were Dynapros, I got with a set of Ford steelie rims I bought. $300 for 4 rims, and had tires on them. Ran them 40,000 miles with no complaints at all. Summer and winter they were good.

I had high expectations getting AT/M on the Ranger, but was not impresed for the 1500km I had them on the truck. Even less impressed seeing the discolouration I may have in my future.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i think my 2 biggest factors on wanting to replace these are:

1) winter weather performance-i need a tire that is severe snow rated and i won't/don't want to swap to winter tires every season but i need a tire that can deal with snow/ice in mountains when i go. which is alot.

2) discoloration of sidewall- i don't want to be driving a new truck with ghetto looking tires after a drive through rain.

it's really either go with the 265/60R18 duratracs which will get me covered on both, but then gain no sidewall protection over the hankooks

or

go to a 265/65R17 in LT c class. but that opens up a whole new can of worms with wheel offsets etc. Unless i buy the high dollar oem 17" wheels......

i am not sure if a little more sidewall and resistance to puncture is worth 1200$ for 4 oem wheels.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
have we actually determined if this discoloration is from the tire compounds or road grime broght up from the rain?

the discoloration in my case is a white band perfectly around the letters. something in that band is either migrating out or the black covering the white band is thin and tire ddressing covers it somehow. Not sure. No amount of scrubbing seems to remove it. dressing seems to cover it. somehow.

CPDKRX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1981 RX-7, 2005 Vulcan 800