hankook tire sidewall issue? anybody else?

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
with 250 miles on my brand new 21 fx4, i saw this after driving 200 miles in the rain. i have since washed/dressed tires and it goes away only to come back as the dressing washes off. Every tire exhibits this to some degree. defect or something oxidizing out of the tire??

tire-20210610_215753.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i will say the other sides of the tires are just brownish. but they also don't have the white wall around the sidewall like the white lettered sides do.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
From what I understand this is oxidation. It's a product of the rubber compounds. Mine has it too. I don't think it's damaging, just ugly.

Also, I don't think it's only Hankook.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
That is a defect no matter how the dealer/manufacturer tries do deflect against it. They is no reason for white to be showing through the black. Completely unacceptable IMO.

My AT/Ms have been in the garage since 1K miles, but after seeing the pics of others, they are going back on the truck this weekend, so I can test for the same issue.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
with 250 miles on my brand new 21 fx4, i saw this after driving 200 miles in the rain. i have since washed/dressed tires and it goes away only to come back as the dressing washes off. Every tire exhibits this to some degree. defect or something oxidizing out of the tire??

tire-20210610_215753.jpg
Were it my truck and the picture above is an accurate representation of the tire color wise, I would take it back to the dealer. White sidewalls went out of style many years ago.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I think you will find that it is just part of the chemical compound kind of being "forced" to the outer surface of the tire. It is not a defect or blemish. Not all tires will do this.....dependent on the compound used in the tire's manufacture. It is not a failure and aside from aesthetics, not harmful.
Have a set of Michelins on my Subaru Crosstrek with almost 80,000 miles on them, and they came from the factory like that.
White or brown or off black are all due to different chemical compounds.
Several good washings with Simple Green and then applications of tire dressing (I use 303) took care of it, and that was back in 2016 when I had them mounted.
Seriously doubt that any dealer or tire company will swap them out unless out of the "goodwill" of their hearts ! HAHA!!!

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I've had lots of tires in my day and these are the first to do this. Cosmetics matter. Especially on new tires and a new truck. I didn't buy a new truck, with new tires, to have tires that look ghetto. No. It's a defect. Either the black coating over the white band where the letters are is too thin or it's doing something like you said but that still is unacceptable. Like I said, I've had lots of new tires and never had this happen. It's part of the half-assed mentality in place since covid started.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I've had lots of tires in my day and these are the first to do this. Cosmetics matter. Especially on new tires and a new truck. I didn't buy a new truck, with new tires, to have tires that look ghetto. No. It's a defect. Either the black coating over the white band where the letters are is too thin or it's doing something like you said but that still is unacceptable. Like I said, I've had lots of new tires and never had this happen. It's part of the half-assed mentality in place since covid started.
Replace them. Problem solved.

Me. I'm OK with it.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Today's tires are made up of dozens of different compounds and chemicals, and only about 1/4 "rubber". It's one or a combo of these chemicals that is surfacing.

whatsinatire_chart_final_0.jpg

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I agree - My Hankook AT/Ms (less than 8,000 miles on them) are looking exactly like that. If we can find more owners with the same issue (please post your pics) we may be able to make a stronger case for replacements.

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

Mcssls

Hankook tires are crap. Bottom of the barrel. One of mine was bad by 500 miles. When we were still in the tire business we refused to carry them.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It doesn't appear to be something that washes off as it leeches out of the rubber. The tires are clean, and the white rubber is visible through the top black layer, and it's obviously not wear. That is a defect, albeit not a safety concern. Warranties generally cover cosmetic problems too.

By comparison, let's say everytime it rains, your paint becomes translucsent and the primer below becomes visible. Then after you wax it, all is well again.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It doesn't appear to be something that washes off as it leeches out of the rubber. The tires are clean, and the white rubber is visible through the top black layer, and it's obviously not wear. That is a defect, albeit not a safety concern. Warranties generally cover cosmetic problems too.

By comparison, let's say everytime it rains, your paint becomes translucsent and the primer below becomes visible. Then after you wax it, all is well again.
Not arguing with you, at all. Just throwing info out to you.....
And I hope you get good results from your dealer....but he/they will more than likely push you off to the tire manufacturer claiming it is their product and not a Ford product. Tire info in your owners packet will always point you to the tire manufacturer if there's a problem with them.
Sponsored