First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It isn't just demand - I was told that our power company will be doing rolling blackouts during wildfire season because downed power lines were the cause of many wildfires and power companies are getting sued because they didn't shut off the lines during periods of high danger.

I'm glad I got a generator, although it won't run our A/C which is becoming increasingly important to have.....
Consider California's ban on small gas engines (generator s) as an example of idiot governance.

I'm all for a diverse energy grid but choking out ubiquitous, cost effective and easily distributed sources through legislation vs. free market actions is criminal.

There's hope for future hydrogen combustion I hope.
Sponsored

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
General Motors to stop producing gasoline and diesel cars by 2035

https://mol.im/a/9198789
Yep. And this fairy tale will last as long as GM can soak its car buyers with added fees for "research" into something that will not be remotely practical in my lifetime. GM knows exactly how gullible its customers are. I know because I used to be one of them until the Saturn VTI disaster.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I currently work for one of those evil fossil fuel electric generating company's. And with my job, I have visibility of EVERY mega watt of power produced east of the continental divide.
I am not going to go into who is right and who is wrong, or what can or cannot be done to fix "climate change, " (by the way, it was 2° F yesterday morning in Arizona) but I can tell you that without all of these evil fossil fuels producing electric power, green energy CANNOT maintain the current power demands on the left coasts power grid.
Now add a crap load of electric vehicles that will need to be charged, electric heating for homes and businesses, (remember, there will be no propane or natural gas to heat your homes ?) things are going to get very hard. Now add to the issue of no trains, no over the road trucking, no planes, how are we going to get our goods delivered to us, in a Conestoga wagon?
I am also a veteran, EVERY piece of military ground equipment runs on evil fossil fuels, I guess we won't need the armed forces to defend us, because they won't be able to move their equipment.
A green energy power infrastructure is not currently available, and not for the foreseeable near future. So you all better start buying candles if you want to read after the sun goes down.

And I will be out looking for another job...

Now, now, we know that politicians do not deal in facts. They only deal on emotions, and knee jerk reactions. Be ashamed of yourself for trying to introduce common sense into this equation. :)

Another situation that hasn't been considered I'm sure. I live in our citys Historic District that comes complete with a historic power grid. If even half the home owners on my trunk line hook up to charge at night we would be in trouble. As my dear old Dad used to say "our power goes out when a rat pee's on cotton". It will not hold up to charging a large number of EV's at this time. And, I don't see my city upgrading our power grid any time soon.

Last edited:

Stringburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Until I can jump in my vehicle, whether I decide to or need to, and go as far as I want while being able to recharge/swap battery packs/whatever the solution is in a reasonable amount of time that is similar in length to refueling an IC engine, I have no interest in EV's. It's very interesting technology but not viable for many if not most people. If or when battery technology makes it feasible it would be great.

I wonder if EV's are going to be the fluorescent bulb of the automotive world. I think hybrid, alternate fuel, and/or hydrogen cells are more likely the future if technology is left to steer the course instead of being forced into an erroneous direction by politicians and bureaucrats.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
People talk crap about the Prius but I can jump in ours (wife's actually) for a road trip, and get 55 MPG all day long and fuel at any station, and at $4+ a gallon that makes me smile.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Yep. And this fairy tale will last as long as GM can soak its car buyers with added fees for "research" into something that will not be remotely practical in my lifetime. GM knows exactly how gullible its customers are. I know because I used to be one of them until the Saturn VTI disaster.
no mention, even honorable of GMs stellar diesel engines in the 70s and 80s, engineering marvels.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/worst-car-wednesday-the-oldsmobile-diesel-disaster/
:confused:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
People talk crap about the Prius but I can jump in ours (wife's actually) for a road trip, and get 55 MPG all day long and fuel at any station, and at $4+ a gallon that makes me smile.
No crap-talking here. We’re on our third one, and still loving it. :)

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Hopefully, by 2035 other advancements in fuel and propulsion will become feasible and come to market. They have been working on implementing Hydrogen for a long time. They say these fuels are clean but it takes Rare Earth Metals from Mother Earth polluting the land. We do not wish to support China, but they are crafty acquiring a lot of mines around the world. This causes more damage to the land from opening new mines. Most Big cities are driving you out of your vehicles. Reducing space for cars to operate on.
Don't get me started on Autonomous Vehicles.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
They say necessity is the mother of invention. If you remove the status quo of ICE as an option many existing and yet-to-exist companies and the government will need to adapt and innovate.

The bonus is that we will no longer be dependent on foreign oil and future generations might actually be able to breathe the air in a major city...
Sponsored