MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from the better looks and sound, can these things really increase power? Gibson claims on its site: " Dyno tested to assure increased horsepower and produce more torque. Average horsepower gains are 10-15 and 15-20lb-ft of increase torque."
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Aside from the better looks and sound, can these things really increase power? Gibson claims on its site: " Dyno tested to assure increased horsepower and produce more torque. Average horsepower gains are 10-15 and 15-20lb-ft of increase torque."
You can get that much horsepower by just putting a spoiler on the tailgate. :p

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
You can get that much horsepower by just putting a spoiler on the tailgate. :p
Where did you find a spoiler !?!?! We can put a spoiler on our trucks !?!?! What kind of spoiler !?!?! Is is adjustable !?!?!? How much downforce does it create !?!?!? Is it aluminum !?!?! Or CARBON FIBER !!!???!!! Can we get it color-matched !?!?!

(Add HEAVY sarcasm) :crackup:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Muffler delete... sounds horrible. Gibson duals, with mufflers, sounds a tiny bit better than stock.

Not worth the money IMO. But thanks for the thread.

Reactions: Doc

395Runner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic FX4 Lariat, 350whp 2006 WRX Wagon
For a rear dual exit, that looks like its tucked up nice and high- doesn't look like you lose much departure angle if any. Which is nice.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
I promise the Gibson is WELL WORTH the money compared to other cat-back systems. The sound is a more mature one yes, but I've learned my lesson on loud mufflers in the past and they're best saved for cars w/ manual transmissions IMO. Plus look how much better this looks.

IMG_3107.jpg

Wayne Kubeck

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I promise the Gibson is WELL WORTH the money compared to other cat-back systems. The sound is a more mature one yes, but I've learned my lesson on loud mufflers in the past and they're best saved for cars w/ manual transmissions IMO. Plus look how much better this looks.

IMG_3107.jpg
Looks great!! Did you consider the MBRP version that's similar to this??

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great!! Did you consider the MBRP version that's similar to this??
I considered it but ultimately the sound clips I heard for the Gibson system sounded closer to what I wanted. That and the Gibson came with black tips, which is what I was looking for.

If you shop around on RealTruck or other sites you can find the system for close to $100 cheaper than listed on the Gibson website.

Wayne Kubeck

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I considered it but ultimately the sound clips I heard for the Gibson system sounded closer to what I wanted. That and the Gibson came with black tips, which is what I was looking for.

If you shop around on RealTruck or other sites you can find the system for close to $100 cheaper than listed on the Gibson website.
Sounds good! I'm thinking of getting that or the MBRP as they have black tips as well but I think the MBRP costs more...

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I considered the Gibson and had good luck with one years ago on my Dakota V8. I went with the Ford/Borla (had one on my Mustang GT and really liked it). I actually like the side exit and chrome tips, but that's what makes the world go round. Eagerly waiting for the Procal tune/air cleaner package to come out...perhaps in March and will use my Ford Pass points towards it.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Some people want performance up grades. I gained HP with the muffler delete. Plus without hearing it in person , you can’t make judgement on how it sounds..sound clips do no justice.
Regards
Sure.. I get that and that's great. An aftermarket tune will get you that performance increase, far above the 10-15 hp this Gibson exhaust claims, for about the same or less money.

Your comment about "gained HP" as a result of "cutting off the muffler and replacing it with a straight pipe" is mere speculation unless you dyno tested it before and after... like the folks at Gibson have done.

I hope you're right that the sound clips don't do it justice... this is the first one I have heard that sounds better than stock... but I keep holding out hope that maybe someday one will sound a lot better.

It's all personal opinion. It's pretty much unobtainable for a 4 cylinder to sound "good" if you also have a V-8 in your stable with headers and header mufflers.

What I like most about this exhaust is it routes out the back... which visually I like.

Last edited:

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
The Gibson split dual is now at the top of my list for a cat back. I like the sound of the MBRP split dual as well but am leaning more towards Gibson due to past experience with them and their black tips are ceramic coated T304 stainless vs powder coated aluminized steel on the MBRP.

I agree that there isn't much you can do with a 4cyl and the exhaust note will never sound as good as a V8. I just want a nice mellow tone that isn't ricy with very little to no interior drone.

How much clearance do you have on the driver's side and your spare tire?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The Gibson split dual is now at the top of my list for a cat back. I like the sound of the MBRP split dual as well but am leaning more towards Gibson due to past experience with them and their black tips are ceramic coated T304 stainless vs powder coated aluminized steel on the MBRP.

I agree that there isn't much you can do with a 4cyl and the exhaust note will never sound as good as a V8. I just want a nice mellow tone that isn't ricy with very little to no interior drone.

Good choice !
Regards

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I'd guestimate about 2.3 - 2.8 inches. I plan on adding a little bit of heat wrap to that section at some point to be safe.

IMG_3139.jpg

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this. It looks like people who have or plan on having bigger tires with a matching spare may not be able to get enough clearance. Even with the stock spare I think a wrap or heat shield would be a good idea. Maybe something like this Thermo-Tec clamp on shield.

6571_1_lg.jpg
Sponsored