First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
A BOV/BPV only releases pressure when the throttle is closed. You're not building boost then. It's not a wastegate. Vacuum actuates the BOV/BPV, not boost.
I know that. The DV+ turns the factory diverter valve into a progressively valved one.

The main purpose of a BOV is to take the load off the turbocharger when the throttle is suddenly closed.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I know that. The DV+ turns the factory diverter valve into a progressively valved one.

The main purpose of a BOV is to take the load off the turbocharger when the throttle is suddenly closed.
If you know how it works, then you know it's not possible for it to increase boost pressure.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
It's the tune. It has to be. I had the dv+ on my mustang for thousands of miles, no psi jump. Then I tuned it, first with sct, then with Torrie (93 and e30). Gained 2-3 psi after the tune.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
If you know how it works, then you know it's not possible for it to increase boost pressure.
Not what I am asserting here. The SCT is logging peaks, not sustained. The peaks aren't significant and I'd warrant the factory blowoff allows what I am getting. Imagine what would happen if the BOV was disabled?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Not what I am asserting here. The SCT is logging peaks, not sustained. The peaks aren't significant and I'd warrant the factory blowoff allows what I am getting. Imagine what would happen if the BOV was disabled?
Compressor surge?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Compressor surge?
I don't get any 'fluttering' or driveability problems when lifting. Since my readings come from the SCT and I'm unsure how it gets those, I'll stay with the idea the changes aren't serious problems. If the DV+, valve or some other intake component was leaking ahead of whatever sensor was relaying pressure readings it could read incorrectly more often and likely throw codes, but it doesn't, tune or not.
https://gfb.com.au/tech/tech-articles/11-the-truth-about-compressor-surge/

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Torrie claims he does not increase the boost limit(s). My assumption is the hardware allows for the measured 'increase.'

After reading that some ARE going for more boost purely for performance (not longevity) I'm not concerned. Other Ecoboost forums are flirting with high 20's psi with all kinds of additional mods.

I trust Ford didn't build the motor to be driven to extremes all the time so margins must be built in.

I'll just compensate with driving style.
I am hitting 22-23psi with Unleashed tuning as well as my old and to be avoided 5-Star tuning.

Torrie's tunes are constantly developing like any good tuner, so I am sure he has found a safe way to use more boost and keep his signature smoothness.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I am hitting 22-23psi with Unleashed tuning as well as my old and to be avoided 5-Star tuning.

Torrie's tunes are constantly developing like any good tuner, so I am sure he has found a safe way to use more boost and keep his signature smoothness.
The peaks aren't sustained - at least in my case. It's not a problem for me and probably the same with the stock tune. If I get bored or otherwise motivated I could de-tube the truck and hook up the SCT box to log data.

But I probably won't any time soon. I'd have to revert the truck to stock to be objective and since that would include the cat-back exhaust (might have a teeny influence) it's pointless.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The peaks aren't sustained - at least in my case. It's not a problem for me and probably the same with the stock tune. If I get bored or otherwise motivated I could de-tube the truck and hook up the SCT box to log data.

But I probably won't any time soon. I'd have to revert the truck to stock to be objective and since that would include the cat-back exhaust (might have a teeny influence) it's pointless.
If it runs how you like it, then I would leave it alone.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I got one of these early on and noticed a bit of a difference in response. Over time my truck became a little balky so I went back to stock. I could see a bit of wear on the brass piston.
I did this swapping around a few times then recently I left out the main spring from the GFB, this change made throttle response noticeably smoother.

The brass piston seems to me that it needs to be routinely checked, polished and lubed but despite this I feel like it’s better than stock.

Reactions: Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I got one of these early on and noticed a bit of a difference in response. Over time my truck became a little balky so I went back to stock. I could see a bit of wear on the brass piston.
I did this swapping around a few times then recently I left out the main spring from the GFB, this change made throttle response noticeably smoother.

The brass piston seems to me that it needs to be routinely checked, polished and lubed but despite this I feel like it’s better than stock.
I don't perceive a problem but I wonder if removing the spring would decrease the minor peaks in boost my SCT BDX records. Opening shouldn't be any real change, without the spring I would presume a little slower close. Since it only opens when you lift your foot off the gas and when the pressure is at performance levels I can see this changing the experience.

Reactions: Doc

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
According to their instructions using the main spring is considered β€œsport” mode offering the best throttle response and boost recovery during on and off throttle input.

Without the main spring they claim it preforms like the factory diverter but with added benefits in holding boost, strength and reliability.

Don’t know about the strength and reliability part but my butt meter says it feels much smoother with quicker response.
I’ll watch my fuel gauge to see if it’s costing me at the pump.
Sponsored