First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Just ordered, and RANGER10 code was accepted. Not real happy about having to potentially disassemble and lube every year, but then I have a catch can. If the unit that arrives is the knock off, it's going straight back. I see someone just used synthetic oil to lube theirs, wondering if PTFE, graphite or some other dry lube would makes sense.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Another issue with all these bootlegs coming from China is they hurt all industries. As the rip off the legitimate owners of the intellectual properties. They always use subpar materials to cut costs. Not to mention the virtual slave labor they employ. The US alone is losing millions of dollars and more a year due to the Chinese ripping off and selling bootlegs. So, support the market or the bootleggers. If you support the copies you'll eventually lose developers and they won't bother with making new parts we want. Just info for you to think about.
:warning, long wordy post:

I've been thinking a lot about this and just can't come to a black and white conclusion. On one hand I entirely agree with you. If I had intellectual property that cost a lot of money in development and testing, yes I would be furious if it was so easily ripped off. It hurts the brand and my ability to recapture my investment and generate income.

But as a business I have a decision to make: Manufacture my goods in my native country and take less profit (or charge more), where my IP is better protected along with design and manufacturing elements - or choose to maximize profits above all else by taking a known risk by manufacturing in a country with zero oversight and where counterfeiting is a known standard practice. Hard to blame others for your own choice to dance with the Devil.

This where I tend to side with Subvet because GFB isn't employing their fellow Australians to make these, something that would perhaps justify such a high price on something that's so cheap to produce. GFB knows exactly what happens in China and they chose to do it anyway. Therefore the consumer has zero moral or ethical obligation to GFB because of a risk they deliberately/consciously made. I just think it's wrong for a business to manufacture in a country like China, knowing the risks, and then when China (predictably) stabs them in the back, they blame the consumer for buying the knockoff.

Conversely, I think it would be (more) fair for a company like WeatherTech to ask their fellow Americans not to buy Chinese knockoffs of their products because WT made a commitment to their fellow Americans.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Mine came, it's the authentic part and easy to install. I debated leaving the Piston spring out (the GFP plunger replacement spring of course went in) since the instructions suggested having the spring in was more akin to having a 'sport mode' effect. I guess not having the spring would allow the valve to snap shut faster and minimize the benefit of holding some boost pressure back. With the two automatic trans modes I am starting with this in; haven't changed any other specs on the engine other than the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and catch can, wondering what better 'boost holding' GFB says could be had without the spring. I'm more interested in a more refined turbocharged experience after having driven older turbos in the past, thinking of low-speed performance they mention in their literature.

https://gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/
From their instructions:

The main spring installed can be thought of as a 'Sport' mode, offering the best possible throttle response and boost recovery during on/off throttle applications (i.e. during gearshift with a manual transmission).
Using the main spring means the DV+ can open and close progressively in response to how much boost
pressure is present unlike the factory diverter which just opens fully regardless of whether there is boost to vent or not.
It is not unusual (or detrimental) to hear a different sound from the intake when lifting off the throttle at low RPM, especially if you have an aftermarket intake or a larger turbo installed.
If a different sound does occur and bothers you, it is possible to install the DV+ WITHOUT the main spring
behind the piston. This configuration can be thought of as an improved 'Standard' mode, which behaves
just like the factory diverter, but with the added benefits of better boost-holding, strength, and reliability.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Follow up: installed the diverter valve (easy) and drove the truck a couple days. Used S mode to utilize the turbo more - and thought at first I may have made a terrible mistake buying this. The engine would 'bog' as it neared redline and refused/balked before shifting...

Looks like the ECM had to go through a learning step (or two/three). Week and a half later, truck s running fine, spring still in the diverter valve. Took a trip a week ago mostly highway and loaded/unloaded the truck was pleasing to drive.

I can't detect a radical change in high RPM shifts so I may be imagining it, but the Lariat pulls and pulls smoothly to.... Oops, triple digits.

This is a simple - and not extraordinarily expensive - upgrade to the wastegate, maybe there will be a long term benefit and perhaps the Sport mode will be more refined.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I could never let my truck get that dirty,it would drive me crazy!!:crazy: I've been like this since I was young,always had to have my toys looking good. When I lived in MA I had a pair of neoprene diving gloves so I could wash my truck in the winter and my hands wouldn't freeze. lol

When I had my motorcycles everyone knew to call me ahead of time before we went riding because they knew I had to wash my bike before we went out. My Vette was even worse lol Stored in the garage with a cover on it,never seen a drop of rain and had it's own California Duster in the back at all times. You're right...OCD is not a pleasant experience but I'm working on it. :giggle:

Vette.jpg
I feel your pain...:giggle:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
:warning, long wordy post:

I've been thinking a lot about this and just can't come to a black and white conclusion. On one hand I entirely agree with you. If I had intellectual property that cost a lot of money in development and testing, yes I would be furious if it was so easily ripped off. It hurts the brand and my ability to recapture my investment and generate income.

But as a business I have a decision to make: Manufacture my goods in my native country and take less profit (or charge more), where my IP is better protected along with design and manufacturing elements - or choose to maximize profits above all else by taking a known risk by manufacturing in a country with zero oversight and where counterfeiting is a known standard practice. Hard to blame others for your own choice to dance with the Devil.

This where I tend to side with Subvet because GFB isn't employing their fellow Australians to make these, something that would perhaps justify such a high price on something that's so cheap to produce. GFB knows exactly what happens in China and they chose to do it anyway. Therefore the consumer has zero moral or ethical obligation to GFB because of a risk they deliberately/consciously made. I just think it's wrong for a business to manufacture in a country like China, knowing the risks, and then when China (predictably) stabs them in the back, they blame the consumer for buying the knockoff.

Conversely, I think it would be (more) fair for a company like WeatherTech to ask their fellow Americans not to buy Chinese knockoffs of their products because WT made a commitment to their fellow Americans.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If my Harley accessories were made in japan I would go to Aliexpress to get them. I bought the LED lamp set up for the bike for $150.....Harley wanted $600.

I believe that GFB is made in China. So I go to Aliexpress and put in the part numbers and here they come up for 17 bucks. If they're made in China. They are fair game in this global economy.. I thought I was only going to save 25 or 30 bucks I would go ahead and buy the us import. But $140 is a long way from $17 for the same part. Since I already use this part on another vehicle I wasn't worried about it.

As far as Weather tech goes they are made in the united states. So any weather tech part in china would definitely be a knockoff.

GAPiT

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL FX4
Occupation
Big drone stuff
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue installing the DV+ VTA. 2019 ranger manufactured 6/19
The hardware securing the stock DV has a much courser thread than the supplied hardware. Am I doing something wrong here? Pic below.
A72E6B54-EDA6-47C8-A5F0-819139ECDDF3.jpeg
F7F222FB-0F8E-4877-9A77-B4F283D2E62F.jpeg

GAPiT

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL FX4
Occupation
Big drone stuff
Hey guys, having a bit of an issue installing the DV+ VTA. 2019 ranger manufactured 6/19
The hardware securing the stock DV has a much courser thread than the supplied hardware. Am I doing something wrong here? Pic below.
A72E6B54-EDA6-47C8-A5F0-819139ECDDF3.jpeg
F7F222FB-0F8E-4877-9A77-B4F283D2E62F.jpeg
I should’ve just kept reading, lol. Just threaded new hardware into plastic housing.

E5C1D174-995E-49E0-96FE-2FE02A56020C.jpeg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
if a company just has a factory in China make their product seems like the quality isn't near the quality of a factory designed an ran by company that designed the product. I think the knock offs are closer or the same if the designer company isn't the one making them in China. I don't know this as fact but I've bought a lot of Harley stuff that was made in China that is good quality an bought Amazon copies an the quality of the materials an stuff aren't as good.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Like you I've done a lot of research. Pony is right, a little dab will do you. Watch this guy oil his, as you can see he does exactly what Pony says. Dip your finger in it, rub it on and call it finished. I've marked it at the point he starts to oil his so you don't have to watch it all.

FYI for those looking towards this video to help with install. As he is attaching the GFB part to the DV he mentions that "they" say it will click into place and sure enough when he presses it together it audibly clicks. I did not get a click/snap as i pressed the two parts together thought it did hold together loosely. I could not find in the instructions for the GFB anything about the two pieces snapping/clicking together. I Put it all together and installed and seems to be working.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology
So, the new bolts in the kit rethread the factory housing, and you have to permanently modify the stock diverter valve to reuse a piece of it? I don’t know how that makes me feel. I need to be able to revert back to factory quickly in case of an emergency.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
The new bolts don’t actually rethread the mounting holes because the original screws are way coarser and cut deeper threads than the replacement ones. That being said, I was planning on installing heli-coils for a better thread engagement and to revert back to stock only would require shorter screws.

I changed my mind, however. I am going to install “Heat-Inserts” instead. This uses a solder iron type of tool to melt the plastic while the insert is being pushed in and then hardens around it. I will then have permanent M6-1.0 threads in place.
Sponsored