First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology
The new bolts don’t actually rethread the mounting holes because the original screws are way coarser and cut deeper threads than the replacement ones. That being said, I was planning on installing heli-coils for a better thread engagement and to revert back to stock only would require shorter screws.

I changed my mind, however. I am going to install “Heat-Inserts” instead. This uses a solder iron type of tool to melt the plastic while the insert is being pushed in and then hardens around it. I will then have permanent M6-1.0 threads in place.
Interesting. My luck revolves around..... i'll have an issue some time in the future, I'll take it to the dealership, and they'll spot an aftermarket part and raise hell. knowing that, i'll be reverting back to stock anytime it goes in for an oil change just to be sure they dont kill my warranty. How about the concern of the stock divert. one video i saw from an install video from "car rambles" it looked like to get that one piece off, the guy says "Its prone to snapping, dont worry about it".

Last edited:
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology

Joetbo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
IT
Hey guys, just got my DV+ yesterday and installed. Had a question about the screws that re-thread, one of them doesn't seem to fully tighten, just keeps spinning like it isn't fully gripped. it feels secure and i drove it around a bit to make sure it didn't loosen or start to rise. has anyone else had this happen?

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my GFB DV today and had a quick question for the forum.

The plunger spring that came with my kit was much too big for the unit to assemble, and seems clearly the incorrect size as the plunger would not fully depress and seat into the solenoid body.

I ended up using the stock plunger spring along with the rest of the GFB kit and it assembled quite well thereafter.

A test drive revealed nothing but the improved turbo performance.

Any thoughts on if it’s okay or not to just run that stock plunger spring?

Pictures
AE87C2B2-B1EB-47EC-976E-116AD2C910A0.jpeg
37DFEDE3-D71A-4628-94E6-E046D836CFA4.jpeg
8440A917-5E73-4D76-A382-A6C465AC23D7.jpeg

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Installed my GFB DV today and had a quick question for the forum.

The plunger spring that came with my kit was much too big for the unit to assemble, and seems clearly the incorrect size as the plunger would not fully depress and seat into the solenoid body.

I ended up using the stock plunger spring along with the rest of the GFB kit and it assembled quite well thereafter.

A test drive revealed nothing but the improved turbo performance.

Any thoughts on if it’s okay or not to just run that stock plunger spring?

Pictures
AE87C2B2-B1EB-47EC-976E-116AD2C910A0.jpeg
37DFEDE3-D71A-4628-94E6-E046D836CFA4.jpeg
8440A917-5E73-4D76-A382-A6C465AC23D7.jpeg
Did you remove the plastic bit in the stock unit? The discussion on installation and removing the stock plastic ring starts on page 1 of this thread. I'd be concerned you are disabling the valve function altogether. You can also not install a spring at all, although that might make performance less refined.

Last edited:

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Did you remove the plastic bit in the stock unit? You can also not install a spring at all, although that might make things less refined.

To update my issue - I emailed all the photos to GFB in Australia. An engineer there got back with me and was just as perplexed by the plunger spring as I was. He said it "doesn't even look like a spring the carry for any of their parts".

So I'll chalk it up to an anomaly.

GFB had one of their US distributors send me a new plunger spring right away so it's all be buttoned up now.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I bought a SCT BDX tuner after installing the DV+ and one of the features are additional gauges including boost PSI.

It's got me wondering if the 22+ psi I see is above the stock programming because the diverter slows off-gassing and lets it peak higher? If it's supposed to be 20 lbs, I'm getting 10% more peak boost. I wonder what's reasonable with an otherwise stock setup?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I bought a SCT BDX tuner after installing the DV+ and one of the features are additional gauges including boost PSI.

It's got me wondering if the 22+ psi I see is above the stock programming because the diverter slows off-gassing and lets it peak higher? If it's supposed to be 20 lbs, I'm getting 10% more peak boost. I wonder what's reasonable with an otherwise stock setup?
Is it possible that the increased boost over stock is from your tune?

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
That's what I would assume also. I have one of these on my mustang and stock tune I was hitting 19-20. After tune, I'm at 22-23. I don't think the gfb would impact the boost psi.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Torrie claims he does not increase the boost limit(s). My assumption is the hardware allows for the measured 'increase.'

After reading that some ARE going for more boost purely for performance (not longevity) I'm not concerned. Other Ecoboost forums are flirting with high 20's psi with all kinds of additional mods.

I trust Ford didn't build the motor to be driven to extremes all the time so margins must be built in.

I'll just compensate with driving style.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Torrie claims he does not increase the boost limit(s). My assumption is the hardware allows for the measured 'increase.'

After reading that some ARE going for more boost purely for performance (not longevity) I'm not concerned. Other Ecoboost forums are flirting with high 20's psi with all kinds of additional mods.

I trust Ford didn't build the motor to be driven to extremes all the time so margins must be built in.

I'll just compensate with driving style.
I just don't see how a BOV/BPV would increase boost pressure. Do you have any other mods?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I just don't see how a BOV/BPV would increase boost pressure. Do you have any other mods?
I've installed the free flowing Mishimoto intercooler pipes and the tune with the stock blowoff pressure settings.

The DV+ adds a progressive valve to the factory blowoff which just pops open and snaps shut. The additional boost the SCT is recording is likely due the change in the way the pressure is modulated.

Having a larger hot side charge pipe volume may delay the rise of pressure but I still have a stock turbo making boost and the same flow rate of the stock intercooler on the other side.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I've installed the free flowing Mishimoto intercooler pipes and the tune with the stock blowoff pressure settings.

The DV+ adds a progressive valve to the factory blowoff which just pops open and snaps shut. The additional boost the SCT is recording is likely due the change in the way the pressure is modulated.

Having a larger hot side charge pipe volume may delay the rise of pressure but I still have a stock turbo making boost and the stock intercooler on the other side.
A BOV/BPV only releases pressure when the throttle is closed. You're not building boost then. It's not a wastegate. Vacuum actuates the BOV/BPV, not boost.
Sponsored