First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I've got a Garmin inReach Mini, and love it. If you don't need a full on GPS mapping device, or have other things for that, the Garmin Mini works very well, lasts a long time and the monthly plans are good. Apparently the SPOT stuff has been going downhill recently.
What's monthly cost of inreach service?
Sponsored

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
My reality is, despite living far away from the cities, I am 99% of the time in cell coverage and I don’t go too far off the beaten path.

Winter and cold is real here, so when the temperature drops below freezing, I always make sure I have clothing and boots in the vehicle to ensure that if an incident happens, and I am out In the elements for several hours, I can stay warm.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
ETA: I realize its an old thread...but still
future readers might find useful. :D

Aside from what everyone already mentioned-
Recovery gear, First Aid kit, portable battery charger like
NoCo(car and phone), Emergency blanket, flashlight, etc...

I have this in our Emergency ditch bag...Its a PLB locator beacon.
If you’ve owned boats or like to hike and camp...this is worth it.

Its small enough to fit in your pocket or bug out bag/ get home bag.
You’ll forget its even there, until the time you need it.
Flip the antenna and press the button, and help is on the way.

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-ResQLink...hild=1&keywords=acr+plb&qid=1604379618&sr=8-6

EA00687F-B969-4DE1-8B7E-DEA421A8EABE.jpeg
FYI, if you get one of these, know that the battery is only good for about 5 years. Once the battery dies, you will either need to purchase a new one or send it in to get replaced. They should be tested periodically to ensure they still work when you need it.

I hike a lot and got a Garmin communicator which allows 2 way messaging using satelites. It works well, but requires a monthly subscription - I got the cheapest plan which is about $12/month. I consider it cheap insurance in the event something goes sideways - or even if I got back to the truck and it was dead or something.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's monthly cost of inreach service?
I got the lowest level plan and it is about $12/month which includes 10 custom messages and unlimited canned messages. I usually don't even use the custom messages (ones I type) and just use the canned messages.

I've been very happy with my garmin inreach.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, if you get one of these, know that the battery is only good for about 5 years. Once the battery dies, you will either need to purchase a new one or send it in to get replaced. They should be tested periodically to ensure they still work when you need it.

I hike a lot and got a Garmin communicator which allows 2 way messaging using satelites. It works well, but requires a monthly subscription - I got the cheapest plan which is about $12/month. I consider it cheap insurance in the event something goes sideways - or even if I got back to the truck and it was dead or something.
5 Years is pretty good/average for that type of battery. Cell phones / laptops only last about 3 years (of normal charge / discharge cycles). Would be nice if the battery was "user replacable" for the average user. I'd imagine that within 5 years new faster/better tech might replace it anyway.

Though, maybe next we'll all be using the new Starlink network for remote communications.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
5 Years is pretty good/average for that type of battery. Cell phones / laptops only last about 3 years (of normal charge / discharge cycles). Would be nice if the battery was "user replacable" for the average user. I'd imagine that within 5 years new faster/better tech might replace it anyway.

Though, maybe next we'll all be using the new Starlink network for remote communications.
Yeah it is pretty good - but since it is something you more than likely will never use, it is important to actually pull it out and test it periodically to make sure it DOES work if you ever need it. It would be VERY nice if it were user replaceable. That same unit (or one very similar) has been around for quite some time

I strongly considered purchasing one of those when I got my Garmin inreach a couple years ago since it works extremely will for its intended purpose and there is no ongoing subscription, but I opted for the inreach because of the 2 way communication ability. Sometimes it isn't an EMERGENCY, but it is nice to get a message out (I'm running late, etc). My experience with the Garmin is that I've not really found a spot where I couldn't get a message out but sometimes it takes quite a while. Overall, I've been really happy with it and would recommend it to anyone considering something like that.

It would be cool if Starlink worked well enough to enable remote messaging. Since the satellites are in a much lower orbit, it might be easier to lock onto them in certain areas. It will be interesting to see how that all plays out.

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
We always have Fire Extinguisher in each vehicle.
:D
But for our BOB and ditch bag we have “fire blankets”.
Similar to these and easier to pack in the bags:
https://www.amazon.com/EVERLIT-Suppression-Emergency-Resistant-Reflective/dp/B0838G2C99/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2NFXSETTYCLZ8&dchild=1&keywords=fire+blanket&qid=1604416186&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sprefix=fire+blan,aps,195&sr=8-6

Also each need is different...
for example: Our ditch bag is more comprehensive compared to our bob. (for boating- aside from frist aid kit, it also has handheld VHF radio, whistle, distress flags, flares, etc)

Just to add...
With PLB’s you need to register it here first to activate:

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/

Part of the instruction is to first test it.
There are other brands and different manufacturers, the one I posted above is what I have and tested. (sometimes they go on sale for $100 less, if you watch the prices on Amazon and West Marine)

Like others mentioned, yes there’s no fee for PLB.
Test periodically and make sure your battery is within its reccommended life span. :)

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My get home gear:
  • tow strap
  • hard d-ring shackles (x2)
  • soft shackles (x2)
  • snatch block
  • extra winch hook
  • multi-purpose hatchet/window saw/hammer
  • IFAK (med kit)
  • gloves
  • tie down straps
  • bungee chords
  • traction boards
  • SmittyBilt tire inflator
  • air down kit
  • HiLift jack
  • shovel
  • GRMS/family talk radio (x2)
  • CB radio
  • multi-blade screwdriver
  • machete
  • flashlight
  • handcuffs
  • spare magazines (Glock 19)
I'm looking to add:
  • small ratchet set
  • small wrench set
  • fixed blade knife
2020-10-31 17.19.00.jpg

Last edited:

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Yeah it is pretty good - but since it is something you more than likely will never use, it is important to actually pull it out and test it periodically to make sure it DOES work if you ever need it. It would be VERY nice if it were user replaceable. That same unit (or one very similar) has been around for quite some time

I strongly considered purchasing one of those when I got my Garmin inreach a couple years ago since it works extremely will for its intended purpose and there is no ongoing subscription, but I opted for the inreach because of the 2 way communication ability. Sometimes it isn't an EMERGENCY, but it is nice to get a message out (I'm running late, etc). My experience with the Garmin is that I've not really found a spot where I couldn't get a message out but sometimes it takes quite a while. Overall, I've been really happy with it and would recommend it to anyone considering something like that.

It would be cool if Starlink worked well enough to enable remote messaging. Since the satellites are in a much lower orbit, it might be easier to lock onto them in certain areas. It will be interesting to see how that all plays out.
i wonder if things have changed in the last ten years. when i was working search and rescue, the EPIRB/PLB devices were out and causing headaches. we would get random false alerts from malfunctioning devices (which while not a problem for the user without a malfunction, does dilute the response to a real alert in a 'cry-wolf' fashion). and tracking a real alert was sometimes difficult- this was suggested at the time to be some sort of technology gap, in that EPIRBs were designed for rescue beacons in flat ocean, while we were hunting for people in mountain terrain. perhaps technology has fixed this in the last decade.

i agree the satellite texting solution sounds like a fine emergency option. while it requires you being much more involved (tricky with frostbitten fingers or in shock), it allows non-emergency comms, gives GPS coordinates if you have adequate signal, and text data is far more reliable to interpret than a garbled shitty sat phone signal. and far cheaper than a real voice sat phone contract.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Also, if anyone is interested. The Garmin InReach Mini that a lot of us have been talking about is on sale through 11/23. $100 off through REI (and other places too I'm sure). I ordered one a couple days ago. Just throwing it out there in case anyone else has been looking at getting one.
I still think about those from time to time. So far I've been lucky that I haven't needed to be rescued and when I came upon people that did, I was able to coordinate comms with the Ham Radio. But if I ever roll my truck that antenna is toast and I might need one of these.

Sure I could carry a spare mag mount antenna ($20) but when trucks roll they usually roll down hill, in a ravine, or down in a ditch or something and I'd need to be able to get more elevation not less to make that work.

Mr. Boots

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Bumping this... I love all of the ideas but do any of you guys have pictures of how you have this set up / stored in the truck? I would still like to have some space in the back seat or bed so could you all show me how you played tetris and put all the gear in?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this... I love all of the ideas but do any of you guys have pictures of how you have this set up / stored in the truck? I would still like to have some space in the back seat or bed so could you all show me how you played tetris and put all the gear in?
Sure thing.
So first off, I guess my truck is the get home bag! I can still get some utilitarian use out of my rig, but the truck on a whole ended up being kitted out to get out and then hopefully ensure it'll get back.

First, I'll cover the seat-back. I have a rigid Grey Man Tactical molle plate on the passenger seatback. I have a med-kit back here with a few CAT Tourniquets, quick clots, compression bandages, etc. I also have a flashlight and radio with-in easy reach. I also have a pouch for a water bottle that's easy to get to while driving, and a dump puch for stashing items quickly. A few pens and pencils, note pad, handcuffs in a different pouch. At the bottom of the molle I have a hatchet/hammer/ saw. And lastly, there is a pouch with the (wireless) remote for my winch, wire for the remote, and gloves.
2020-11-11 14.42.23.jpg

In the bed of my truck, I have a Hi-lift jack and a shovel fastened to a bed organizer. I have a plastic tote that holds a tree-saver, snatch strap, a couple heavy d-rings, a couple soft shackles, bungees, an auto-siphon, and ratcheting straps. I also keep a Smittybilt tire inflator with air-down kit back here. The tote and the air kit strap to the bed organizer. The best part is the wood bed rack can be removed quickly and easily if I need to haul stuff.
2020-10-31 17.19.00.jpg

2020-10-31 17.19.34.jpg

And the last part is the bed rack. I have an Xtrusion Overland rack mounted to the bed with a 4.5 gallon RotoPax FuelPax mounted up on the driver side. On the passenger side I have two traction boards mounted up.
2020-12-23 15.52.12.jpg

2020-12-23 15.51.12.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hey guys, does anyone here keep a get home bag in their truck? I am often out at a gun range until sundown 25 miles from my home, about 10 of which are out into the woods. I know it’s a new truck, but anything could happen and have been recently thinking about the day I hop in my truck and it doesn’t start.

I have been putting together a list of your basic items, but was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a item you’ve had come in handy that most wouldn’t think about, or if anyone has been stuck in a situation and found something particular to be of no use and wished they had saved on the space and weight. Any insight would be appreciated!
I’m also an Eagle Scout. That said the motto of being prepared has been ingrained my entire life. I keep items like this in a “bug out bag” in my truck. Not in any specific order mind you.
Enhanced first aid kit with tourniquet, a 6” Buck knife, flint and a lighter, solar blanket, some rope, LED flashlight, water purification tablets, ibuprofen, sun screen, leather gloves, plastic poncho, thermal blanket, and compass.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I have a SPOT ... in my neck of the woods, you get 10 miles from home, there's nothing.

If I leave my house, go 15 miles, from there to the next gas is 90 miles. After that, the next one is 107 miles. With those kind of distances between civilization, you learn to bring some survival stuff with me. Cell service is spotty at best. I've made the 107 mile trip a few times where I'd see less than 10 cars the whole way.

The SPOT is kind of necessary, although, my mom (No other family) is 87 and may not remember if I don't check in to look at the SPOT .... LOL.

Hank the Tank

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Housing Case Manager, Full-time student
Vehicle Showcase
Going off memory, here is what I keep around on a permanent basis:

In the passenger-side swing out box:
  • Silicone spray (for suspension lubrication)
  • Oil filter wrench
  • Sockets/wrenches/vise grips/Allen wrenches (all maintenance/mods on the truck are done with the tools out of this kit)
  • Headlamp
  • Bungee tie-downs
  • Flares (x3)
  • Zip ties
  • Safety vest
  • Mag-Light (mounted externally, closest to the bedside)
  • J-B Weld SteelStik
  • Small can of WD-40
  • Gloves
In a plastic tote in the bed:
  • (3) Mountain House meals
  • (1) Nalgene water bottle, empty, plus (2) spoons
  • JetBoil-style stove with gas canister
  • (1) gallon of water (additional water is always in the cab)
  • Powerbuilt 3-ton All-in-One jackstand/jack
  • Hand saw
  • Tire chains (November-April for mountain passes)
  • TP
  • Tire chock
  • Viair 400p portable compressor (sooo handy), plus a surplus of tire gauges
On the driver-side Molle panel
  • Wavian 5-gallon jerry can (only when travelling really far and remote)
  • Mountain Series first aid kit (14-days)
  • Swiss Army surplus axe
In the cab (under/behind the rear seats)
  • Tow strap and shackles
  • Torque wrench
  • Boulder Tools tire repair kit (highly recommend)
  • Gortex rain gear (Navy issued flight gear)
  • Tarp
  • Stock scissor jack
  • Ratchet straps
  • Gorilla tape
  • Small first aid kit (small bandages, gauze, etc.)
  • Bug spray
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Several pairs of wool socks
  • De-icer/ scrapper
  • Shop rags
  • Tire deflator
Elsewhere throughout the cab
  • Always at least 64oz of water, plus whatever for the hikes/adventure
  • Flashlights
  • Handwarmers
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Wool blanket
  • Camp pillow
  • Rumpl (sleeping bag-like blanket)
  • Flight gloves (for handling hot surfaces)
  • Window break/seat belt cutter (mounted on the overhead console)
  • Tons of maps (paper, laminated) for the area/state
  • Jackets on the seat back
None of these items have encumbered my ability to haul anything, or otherwise diminish the ability to "truck".
Sponsored