RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
All good info! Yeah, that's pretty much all I would use it for, letting my wife (or my brother or someone else if she is with me) that I've reached my destination or am leaving or whatever, so mostly the preset messages it sounds like. And as I said before, I don't really need something for mapping or tracking, as I already have something for that. So it sounds like this will work well.

Thanks!
One more thing- you are limited to 3 preset messages - but that has been fine by me. You can pay more per month and get more custom messages, but I've never needed it - and if you do, they are only 50 cents a piece over the 10. So it isn't like you CAN'T do it if you need to, it will just cost you more.
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
another plus for the Garmin InReach, though I have the older delorme version (same thing just different casing). I keep it on the cheapest subscription, and just have it as an emergency text or SOS device. Also the mapping isn't great, but at least you don't need service to access it. also the ability to text from your phone using the sat service is pretty amazing. I've used this several times when meeting up with friends while out in the middle of nowhere.

something I haven't seen in this thread yet, is a tire plug kit (maybe in addition to fix-a-flat). I've seen some pretty deep sidewall gashes and holes filled with plugs. they may not be a permanent fix, but they can often at least slow a leak enough to get you down a dirt trail to somewhere accessible. also you'll need an air compressor to go with this.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
All good info! Yeah, that's pretty much all I would use it for, letting my wife (or my brother or someone else if she is with me) that I've reached my destination or am leaving or whatever, so mostly the preset messages it sounds like. And as I said before, I don't really need something for mapping or tracking, as I already have something for that. So it sounds like this will work well.

Thanks!
One thing I did set up was on the tracking. I linked it to a Twitter account just for tracking, so it auto updates people I let see the account with my location or status messages.

Deleted member 1634

One thing I did set up was on the tracking. I linked it to a Twitter account just for tracking, so it auto updates people I let see the account with my location or status messages.
That's interesting. Little breadcrumb trail. Nice idea.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting. Little breadcrumb trail. Nice idea.
I don't really care if I die in the wilderness, but I just want someone to find my corpse at least. lol

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
He did mention “from the range”. My assumption was he already had one, if not more
You're right about that...missed that...

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
My bed emergency bin now has recovery boards, recovery straps and shackles, tow hitch shackle, kinetic recovery rope, high lift hydraulic jack, shovel, flashlight, and snow chains(extreme emergency and chp is a pain even with extreme snow rated tires), tire inflator, too.

Rescue Ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 1998 Ranger supercab 4.0 4X4 xlt
GHB, BOB's all serve to prepare you for when you are having a SHTF or as I say When the Fecal matter hits the rotating cooling device kind of day. I have carried one since I started driving. I developed mine over the years I made one for my wife for here car I have made them for friends. You Tube has everybody and his brother making and sharing how to build a bag. The Sensible Prepper is one of my favorites. I carry a gallon of water in bottles in my truck. I have a back pack that I can camp out of for three days before I need food it has its own tools. medical, food, shelter, money, socks and underwear, and defense / hunting, cooking and a couple of miniatures of Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire. the truck has a shovel, High Lift Jack with chains and shackles cordless Sawzall, drill and grinder. A tool box with a Henry AR7 locked up inside with a small lock box with the ammo so I don't break any laws. I was glad I had it in Baltimore a few years ago when they were rioting a few streets from where we where working I put it together and we headed for the highway and got out of dodge. Its a great tool to have when you dnt think you need that kind of tool. (note I believe that no one has the right to tell you when and where and how you can defend your life) Use your bag to see what you need or don't need to carry. I tend to pack heavy but if my house burns down a tornado comes through and tears stuff up or anything that will make my life suck the bag will help make it suck less.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
BOB’s and GHB have a basic principle. You pack basic tools that enable you manage one of several common goals and generally get past moments of excrement contact with rotating blade assemblies.

What do you need to walk away. What do you need to get home. What do you need to Hunker Down if things have gone all 'natural disaster movie'. Each choice calls for different tools or supplies.

Some people also try to compensate for dealing with “rule of three’s” situations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_threes_(survival) - should that be a possible issue. As a start: a couple days of Food, water, flashlight & batteries, first aid, fire starting, improvised shelter, duct tape, para-cord, a multi-tool with a decent blade and a backpack to carry it in.

More advanced BOB’s and especially GHB’s will often have a proper pair of broken-in hiking boots(with socks) because you cant always guarantee remembering to wear ideal footwear, a spare set of clothes, gloves, a water filter hand-pump, cooking burner(hiker stove), a container to boil water, folding shovel, a additional fixed blade knife, power bank (recharging phones and jumpstarting cars), TP, Paper maps

Other items might be extremely situation specific. Alot of people feel like a firearm is called for. Depending on backcountry specifics and local laws, bear-bangers(exploding flares to scare aware bears and cougars) might be a better choice. Some folks want a NOAA/SW radio. Some people feel like a ham radio preprogramed with regional emergency frequencies is called for.

Alot of survivalists build out situational modules. So like a small pouch with several options for building a fire and a different pouch with a couple of water filtration/ purification options. A small pouch with protein bars for a GHB and a bigger pouch with MRE entree's or mountain house meals for a BOB. A small pouch with flashlight & batteries, etc.

The bottom line is look at your goal and pack what you need to feel safe, secure, and comfortable if you can afford it.

Markandrews17

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
BOB’s and GHB have a basic principle. You pack basic tools that enable you manage one of several common goals and generally get past moments of excrement contact with rotating blade assemblies.

What do you need to walk away. What do you need to get home. What do you need to Hunker Down if things have gone all 'natural disaster movie'. Each choice calls for different tools or supplies.

Some people also try to compensate for dealing with “rule of three’s” situations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_threes_(survival) - should that be a possible issue. As a start: a couple days of Food, water, flashlight & batteries, first aid, fire starting, improvised shelter, duct tape, para-cord, a multi-tool with a decent blade and a backpack to carry it in.

More advanced BOB’s and especially GHB’s will often have a proper pair of broken-in hiking boots(with socks) because you cant always guarantee remembering to wear ideal footwear, a spare set of clothes, gloves, a water filter hand-pump, cooking burner(hiker stove), a container to boil water, folding shovel, a additional fixed blade knife, power bank (recharging phones and jumpstarting cars), TP, Paper maps

Other items might be extremely situation specific. Alot of people feel like a firearm is called for. Depending on backcountry specifics and local laws, bear-bangers(exploding flares to scare aware bears and cougars) might be a better choice. Some folks want a NOAA/SW radio. Some people feel like a ham radio preprogramed with regional emergency frequencies is called for.

Alot of survivalists build out situational modules. So like a small pouch with several options for building a fire and a different pouch with a couple of water filtration/ purification options. A small pouch with protein bars for a GHB and a bigger pouch with MRE entree's or mountain house meals for a BOB. A small pouch with flashlight & batteries, etc.

The bottom line is look at your goal and pack what you need to feel safe, secure, and comfortable if you can afford it.
What’s a BOB/GHB?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I let the mission dictate the load out.

Example:
Around Town - Truck always has some basics on board like a small paramedic trauma bag, some minor tools, cell phone, and a ham radio. As long as I'm out in the greater Phoenix or Tucson areas it's a phone call to Road Side Support.

Road Trips - I'm a Hiker by nature and I have a pretty well equipped hiking bag that can sustain me and one other for 72 hours through a series of different circumstances. When we go on a Road Trip, I add my hiking bag to the load out. I know from experience I can hike a 10 mile double black diamond trail through canyons and over mountains at an altitude of 3,000'ASL. My assumption is that under more favorable conditions (flat earth, paved, lower elevations) I can make 15 to 18 miles if need be. Also before every trip, we throw in one to two flats of water. Seriously, they are $3.00 each and can keep you from dying better than any other gear you have. Usually the home and destination have cell service but there is a lot of Arizona in the middle that has no cell coverage. Hiking bag does have mylar space blankets and a tarp and P-Cord for make shift shelter.

Off Roading - Adding recovery gear to the Road Trip load out and taking two, maybe three flats of water. Off Roading almost always = No Cell Coverage.

Weather Modifier - AZ see's summer temps in the 115 to 120 range on occasion and up north it can be 7,000 to 8,000' asl and 20 below 0, but not on the same day or even en the same month. Normally most of the year we actually have really awesome weather so we tend not to be out in the extremes, but it does happen (I do make a point of shooting on the coldest and hottest days when I can because weather impacts your hands quite a bit). So when heading out on the cold days I keep my winter sleeping bag in the truck and an extra change of clothes. In the summer, I keep extra water.

SOP in the event of a break down - For starters, I ALWAYS make sure people know where I start from and where I go and what times I should be back or reach a destination.
  • First is establish Cell Contact and wait with the vehicle
  • Second is to establish Ham Radio Contact and wait with the vehicle
  • Third is to establish a visible beacon (light, smoke, fire) in the area of the vehicle and wait
  • Fourth, and I can't imagine why I would need this, but fourth is that if no assistance arrives in 48 hours, leave a direction marker and start making progress towards society in daily 15 mile increments. I figure I can sustain a three day walk for a total of 45 miles. What I can not fathom is going 45 miles without seeing another soul or picking up cell / radio signal.

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
ETA: I realize its an old thread...but still
future readers might find useful. :D

Aside from what everyone already mentioned-
Recovery gear, First Aid kit, portable battery charger like
NoCo(car and phone), Emergency blanket, flashlight, etc...

I have this in our Emergency ditch bag...Its a PLB locator beacon.
If you’ve owned boats or like to hike and camp...this is worth it.

Its small enough to fit in your pocket or bug out bag/ get home bag.
You’ll forget its even there, until the time you need it.
Flip the antenna and press the button, and help is on the way.

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-ResQLink...hild=1&keywords=acr+plb&qid=1604379618&sr=8-6

EA00687F-B969-4DE1-8B7E-DEA421A8EABE.jpeg

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Things have been pretty well covered here, but one other piece of gear I always carry in the back of my truck that I didn't see mentioned: fire extinguisher. I mounted it on the side of my swing case where I keep jumper cables, tow straps, comealongs, tie downs, gloves, etc.
Sponsored