Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, does anyone here keep a get home bag in their truck? I am often out at a gun range until sundown 25 miles from my home, about 10 of which are out into the woods. I know it’s a new truck, but anything could happen and have been recently thinking about the day I hop in my truck and it doesn’t start.

I have been putting together a list of your basic items, but was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a item you’ve had come in handy that most wouldn’t think about, or if anyone has been stuck in a situation and found something particular to be of no use and wished they had saved on the space and weight. Any insight would be appreciated!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, does anyone here keep a get home bag in their truck? I am often out at a gun range until sundown 25 miles from my home, about 10 of which are out into the woods. I know it’s a new truck, but anything could happen and have been recently thinking about the day I hop in my truck and it doesn’t start.

I have been putting together a list of your basic items, but was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a item you’ve had come in handy that most wouldn’t think about, or if anyone has been stuck in a situation and found something particular to be of no use and wished they had saved on the space and weight. Any insight would be appreciated!
I carry the following in a big plastic tub in the bed for "emergencies":
  • Tow strap
  • Comealong (4 ton)
  • Heavy duty Ratchet strap
  • Small shovel
  • Rope
  • Combo jump box and tire inflator
  • Bottle of Fix a Flat
  • Tarp
I'm doing this from memory, but I think that is about all that is in there. Curious to hear what others carry.

Deleted member 1634

Coveralls, extra blankets, and snowshoes in the winter only, metal shovel, ax/hatchet, saw, tow straps, water, dehydrated food, backpacking cook stove, headlamp, flashlights, first aid kit, jump pack w/ included air compressor, tool kit, come-along winch, straps, bungies, Paracord, maps, collapsible walking stick, extra hats, gloves, NOAA weather radio, PLB, etc.

It may seem like I'm over-prepared, but I've heard too many stories of people around this area being stranded and having to walk many many miles to get help because they weren't prepared. I've known some personally who unfortunately didn't make it. So I take this survival safety stuff seriously.

Jwarner

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC/STX. 1998 Mustang cobra
A large fixed blade knife can get you a long way. First aid is always useful. A couple power bars and water. Whistle, mirror, matches/lighter, and a compass. If you still have space a blanket.

Deleted member 1634

I can build a fire and send smoke signals too.
I once built an igloo in the arctic to see if I could do it.
Took me three days.
I likely woulda died if it was a necessity but my sat phone works in the furthest away places as well. Go figure.
For those that really travel to far away places often, get yourselves a SPOT emergency locator. You wont regret the expense
SPOT is definitely something I've been considering. Not just for in the vehicle, but mostly for the back country hiking, kayaking, biking, and camping I like to do. I'm not really a people person and live my best life when I'm as far away as I can be from most other people. haha I currently have a basic PLB for life threatening emergencies, but something like SPOT would be nice when it's not a critical emergency.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
SPOT is definitely something I've been considering. Not just for in the vehicle, but mostly for the back country hiking, kayaking, biking, and camping I like to do. I'm not really a people person and live my best life when I'm as far away as I can be from most other people. haha I currently have a basic PLB for life threatening emergencies, but something like SPOT would be nice when it's not a critical emergency.
I've got a Garmin inReach Mini, and love it. If you don't need a full on GPS mapping device, or have other things for that, the Garmin Mini works very well, lasts a long time and the monthly plans are good. Apparently the SPOT stuff has been going downhill recently.

Deleted member 1634

I've got a Garmin inReach Mini, and love it. If you don't need a full on GPS mapping device, or have other things for that, the Garmin Mini works very well, lasts a long time and the monthly plans are good. Apparently the SPOT stuff has been going downhill recently.
Interesting. I am a Garmin guy, in that I have other Garmin devices. And I do like the idea of everything connecting to each other and working together. I don't necessarily need a mapper. My Garmin watch can do a lot of that already. I'll look into this more. Thanks!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I am a Garmin guy, in that I have other Garmin devices. And I do like the idea of everything connecting to each other and working together. I don't necessarily need a mapper. My Garmin watch can do a lot of that already. I'll look into this more. Thanks!
Another plus for the Garmin - I don't have the mini, but I have the full InReach - I thought it would be good for mapping, etc, but it isn't very good at a GPS. But it IS good for messaging. I am on the simplest plan and typically only use the preset messages, which are free. I get 10 other messages a month but rarely use them. I have one preset one telling my wife I'm at the trailhead and another that tells her I'm on my way home. When I go backpacking, I have a 3rd that tells her the campsite for the night. Works great. The custom messages are good if plans change, or if something unexpected comes up.

The only odd thing I've noticed is that occasionally it will re-send a message and she will get a duplicate. But it has been very reliable for me thus far.

Deleted member 1634

Another plus for the Garmin - I don't have the mini, but I have the full InReach - I thought it would be good for mapping, etc, but it isn't very good at a GPS. But it IS good for messaging. I am on the simplest plan and typically only use the preset messages, which are free. I get 10 other messages a month but rarely use them. I have one preset one telling my wife I'm at the trailhead and another that tells her I'm on my way home. When I go backpacking, I have a 3rd that tells her the campsite for the night. Works great. The custom messages are good if plans change, or if something unexpected comes up.

The only odd thing I've noticed is that occasionally it will re-send a message and she will get a duplicate. But it has been very reliable for me thus far.
All good info! Yeah, that's pretty much all I would use it for, letting my wife (or my brother or someone else if she is with me) that I've reached my destination or am leaving or whatever, so mostly the preset messages it sounds like. And as I said before, I don't really need something for mapping or tracking, as I already have something for that. So it sounds like this will work well.

Thanks!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
All good stuff...but a reliable firearm would be first on my list...

OP
OP
_Ian_

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Coveralls, extra blankets, and snowshoes in the winter only, metal shovel, ax/hatchet, saw, tow straps, water, dehydrated food, backpacking cook stove, headlamp, flashlights, first aid kit, jump pack w/ included air compressor, tool kit, come-along winch, straps, bungies, Paracord, maps, collapsible walking stick, extra hats, gloves, NOAA weather radio, PLB, etc.

It may seem like I'm over-prepared, but I've heard too many stories of people around this area being stranded and having to walk many many miles to get help because they weren't prepared. I've known some personally who unfortunately didn't make it. So I take this survival safety stuff seriously.
All good recommendations. I’m in the same boat, I would rather be over prepared in the event it was ever needed opposed to finding myself in a situation really wishing I had xyz.

OP
OP
_Ian_

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All good stuff...but a reliable firearm would be first on my list...
Absolutely on my list, and luckily I’ve got that covered
Sponsored