First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
On news today they announced plans to release from federal oil reserves once again. Prob not the smartest move but at least it will give the consumer a 5 cent relief. LoL
Yeah it's a pretty dumb move because it's only a temporary fix like you said. Then you have to replace what you just released with oil that'll most likely cost more. ?‍♂

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
wonders if the plan is to empty the reserves on purpose to further the ev push once empty. since we will not be able to afford to fill up the reserve again... hmmm.
1676479088154.png

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
From what I read, it's 26 million barrels. But the US uses 19 million barrels per day, so probably not any savings.

In other news, Raquel Welch dead at 82.?

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rangers in the easiest way possible.
I waited until I racked up some Kroger points and the tank was empty. Only put about 30 miles mixed driving since.

I've only done this once before with 87 octane ethanol free and pre-tune (for midgrade).

With the mods and tune I can't be sure if my perception is biased but I'm pretty familiar with how the truck runs.

It seems smooth and I don't think there's same dramatic rush of acceleration when the throttle is wide open but no loss of power.

Too soon to tell if there is a change in MPG. It feels refined initially. At regular price it's still more than 93 octane 10% ethanol which I run 90% of the time. I don't know if there is a winter fuel blend for ethanol free gas either?
Interesting insight. Seems like there might not be much of a discernable difference performance-wise. Unless the more expensive fuel is better for your vehicle, is there any reason to choose the fancy stuff?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Well, we are curious now, was there a difference? Worth it?
My previous best highway mileage was just over 26 MPG at sustained 70 MPH on 10% ethanol 93 octane. Relevant mods to my truck at that time were essentially a custom midgrade (89 octane or higher) Unleashed tune and the prototype VelossaTech Big Mouth. I gained almost 2 MPG over stock - granted that was in the relatively new (under 1000 miles and just after first dealer oil change to full synthetic).

Since then I leveled the front and lost some of the rake and took a 1.5 MPG hit almost right away. This is the first time I've run 89 octane ethanol free (the first time I've found it) and without the substantial discount I can't recommend the expenditure. I used my tuner box initially to clear the KAM and transmission tables, drive a couple hundred miles then refilled with the same gas and went on a 185 mile highway trip using the cruise control to keep me (mostly) at 70 MPH in fairly level roads. Here's my (corrected) onboard readout:

IMG_20230303_141530136~2.jpg

From a cost vs. performance vs. MPG perspective my favorite fuel is 94 octane E30 when I can find it. It's not in Ford's owner's manual but with other Ranger owners playing with E85 which supposedly the truck is not designed for I'm pretty confident using it.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
From a cost vs. performance vs. MPG perspective my favorite fuel is 94 octane E30 when I can find it. It's not in Ford's owner's manual but with other Ranger owners playing with E85 which supposedly the truck is not designed for I'm pretty confident using it.
The Ranger is not a flex fuel vehicle that has a sensor in the fuel line that can measure the ethanol content. The folks playing with E85 in their Rangers have had a tune created specifically for E85. Unless you have a tune that is specifically adjusted for E30 you are running your engine lean and are potentially risking a catastrophic engine failure.

OP
OP
carmigo

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rangers in the easiest way possible.
My previous best highway mileage was just over 26 MPG at sustained 70 MPH on 10% ethanol 93 octane. Relevant mods to my truck at that time were essentially a custom midgrade (89 octane or higher) Unleashed tune and the prototype VelossaTech Big Mouth. I gained almost 2 MPG over stock - granted that was in the relatively new (under 1000 miles and just after first dealer oil change to full synthetic).

Since then I leveled the front and lost some of the rake and took a 1.5 MPG hit almost right away. This is the first time I've run 89 octane ethanol free (the first time I've found it) and without the substantial discount I can't recommend the expenditure. I used my tuner box initially to clear the KAM and transmission tables, drive a couple hundred miles then refilled with the same gas and went on a 185 mile highway trip using the cruise control to keep me (mostly) at 70 MPH in fairly level roads. Here's my (corrected) onboard readout:

IMG_20230303_141530136~2.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Not bad at all, i see why you're a fan of the 94 octane, might have to reconsider my go-to fuel.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Gas jumped up 30 cents in two days, chevron $3.89 for regular:question::headbang:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
wonders if the plan is to empty the reserves on purpose to further the ev push once empty. since we will not be able to afford to fill up the reserve again... hmmm.
1676479088154.png
In the 1990's, John Snobelen, the Minister of Education in Ontario was careless enough to admit in public, on film, that they needed to "create a useful crisis" in education with the desired result being a switch to privatization of the school system and gutting the teachers union.

I heard a comedian say once that the etymology of "politics" when broken down to its roots is "poli" being many, and "tics" being bloodsuckers....well...you see where I'm going with this LOL

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Thanks for sharing! Not bad at all, i see why you're a fan of the 94 octane, might have to reconsider my go-to fuel.
Good luck finding it!

Hell maybe I'll start a post in my region asking for people to share where they find it.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
In the 1990's, John Snobelen, the Minister of Education in Ontario was careless enough to admit in public, on film, that they needed to "create a useful crisis" in education with the desired result being a switch to privatization of the school system and gutting the teachers union.

I heard a comedian say once that the etymology of "politics" when broken down to its roots is "poli" being many, and "tics" being bloodsuckers....well...you see where I'm going with this LOL
An advisor to former President Obama said on TV "never let a crisis go to waste". Look at what the governments got away with during the Rona scare.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Prices are yoyoing here. They seem to have settled to between $3.20 an $3.60. Up for a few weeks then down for a few.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Got the results from tax returns...you think gas prices are bad...look at how much more we've all lost this past year due to tax law changes that flew under the radar...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.