Future Ranger Gets a Diesel Powertrain Option! (Rumors)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Sales and discounts show how a model is doing.
Judging by sales and discounts, the Ranger has not met Ford's sales hopes.
Not saying the sales won't in the future but at this point no
you are just making shit up
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Sales and discounts show how a model is doing.
Judging by sales and discounts, the Ranger has not met Ford's sales hopes.
Not saying the sales won't in the future but at this point no
At the end of the day, only Ford knows how well the Ranger is doing and whether it is meeting expectations as far as sales go. From my perspective, it seems to be doing pretty well.

I think another explanation for the discounts is that we are at the end of the model year. If I were buying a 2019 model at this point (of any vehicle), I would be expecting a discount. You've eaten almost a full model year's worth of depreciation at this point and that should be reflected in the purchase price. 2020 models have already started selling and will kick into high gear in just a couple of months.

As other's have said, the Ranger started the model year very late and look quite a while to ramp up, so it started out behind, but that would be normal for a new model.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Because I have a Diesel in the family, I feel free to buy a Ranger. When I need to tow regardless of the max tow rate is, the diesel will do the towing.

Some of the annoyances described are overstated, in my experience the baby duramax is a pleasure to own.
I'd trade it before 100K or get the timing belt done at 100K/6 years. I had the Jeep version of the same engine, and I can tell you that the EGR destroys the valves and rockers, and the timing belt can and will break and trash the entire top end. (not just the rockers like it's supposed to).

I'm not denying it's a nice truck, and I'm sure it's very powerful and torquey. But it needs a tune to bring the HP up to "adult" levels and the EGR should be deleted ASAP.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what I stated isn't true?
OK. :LOL:
correct. you don't know what ford's expectations were, you don't know what their sales projections were, you don't know what their discount strategy was, and you're spouting off like you actually know what you're talking about (even though it's already been pointed out that you're getting things wrong.) I don't know for sure why you're acting like this, but the troll hypothesis is the best fit until proven otherwise.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the timing belt can and will break and trash the entire top end. (not just the rockers like it's supposed to).
Losing the timing belt in an interference engine (like basically every small diesel) is pretty much guaranteed to ruin your day, that's not unique to the duramax. That said, timing belts basically never break these days if they're maintained on schedule.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
correct. you don't know what ford's expectations were, you don't know what their sales projections were, you don't know what their discount strategy was, and you're spouting off like you actually know what you're talking about (even though it's already been pointed out that you're getting things wrong.) I don't know for sure why you're acting like this, but the troll hypothesis is the best fit until proven otherwise.
12% off sticker tells me enough.

I'm far from the troll. I bought a XLT and a Lariat so trolling isn't my thing.
You're free to believe whatever you want.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Losing the timing belt in an interference engine (like basically every small diesel) is pretty much guaranteed to ruin your day, that's not unique to the duramax. That said, timing belts basically never break these days if they're maintained on schedule.
Right, if maintained on schedule. I'm saying ignore GM's schedule as it's not in alignment with what Goodyear, the maker of the belt, says it should be. And the truck shipped with a 100K/6year interval, and GM updated it to 150K when they realized they also sold 6 year extended warranties.

The exact same reference design was used for the Jeep Liberty CRD engine, with some changes for modern emissions, the Jeep is a glass engine even when you delete everything and give it a proper tune, head studs, etc...

I know because the Jeep was my last diesel vehicle, and I was almost at the Chevy dealer with pen in hand when I found out that the engine was a direct descendant of the Jeep engine.

Mine was studded, deleted, and I had the timing belt changed at the 4 year mark with new valves (because they are known to break) and it still ended up dropping a valve and trashing a piston and sleeve. $3000 worth of preventative maintenance wasn't even enough.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's not even true, so it's becoming more clear that you're just trolling. Hopefully this site doesn't go that way and become another troll bridge on the internet.
I wish "hot sellers" would discount their trucks....maybe I could get 4k off a Tacoma.....
Capture.JPG

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish "hot sellers" would discount their trucks....maybe I could get 4k off a Tacoma.....
Capture.JPG
yeah, around here frontiers are also advertised for $4k below msrp, and colorados are advertised right now as much as $8.5k (20%) below. but things like facts and reality don't matter when the trolls come out to play. I think it's safe to say that the current ranger discounts are at the level of "what's needed to compete with everybody else's discounts" and not a sign of desperation.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, if maintained on schedule. I'm saying ignore GM's schedule as it's not in alignment with what Goodyear, the maker of the belt, says it should be. And the truck shipped with a 100K/6year interval, and GM updated it to 150K when they realized they also sold 6 year extended warranties
you understand that argument makes no sense, right? GM realized that they wouldn't have to pay if you busted an engine because your timing belt broke at 101k miles and you hadn't changed it at 100k, so they bumped the service interval to 150k so they would have to cover it?

Far more likely that they're just confident that 150k miles is sufficient. Again, these modern belts just don't break like they did 30 years ago.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM stickers their trucks ridiculously and then sells them for "GIANT DISCOUNTS". My father in law swears his truck is a 40K truck that he got brand new 0 miles for 23K (he's a retiree).

What that means is he's paying 40K truck prices on his tags, but only driving a 25K truck with cloth seats and rubber floors.

you understand that argument makes no sense, right? GM realized that they wouldn't have to pay if you busted an engine because your timing belt broke at 101k miles and you hadn't changed it at 100k, so they bumped the service interval to 150k so they would have to cover it?

Far more likely that they're just confident that 150k miles is sufficient. Again, these modern belts just don't break like they did 30 years ago.
They sold bumper to bumper service plans, and 6 year warranties that WOULD cover this type of service, and didn't want to eat a 3500$ timing job at the 6 year mark is what I mean. I can tell you from experience of the Jeep group that 101K miles is a time bomb as is 6 years.

Same belt from the same manufacturer.

Chrysler did the same thing, except they lowered the 7 year 70'K warranty on the liberty CRD to 3/36K because the belt would be covered under the warranty at 6 year change interval.

I understand that if the belt fails prior to the warranty period, then they would be liable for the work, this is not what I'm talking about.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Being #1 in sales is important for Ford. They will discount to stay #1.
Look at these discounts.
https://www.fordlincolncharlotte.com/search-new-ford-inventory.html?Make=Ford&Model=F-150

The Ranger is a new model that is being discounted over $5K. Do you think Ford would discount that much if the model was selling well?
The Ranger will not outsell or come close to Tacoma sales. Hell, a 15 year old design Frontier is outselling it.

That's not even true, so it's becoming more clear that you're just trolling. Hopefully this site doesn't go that way and become another troll bridge on the internet.
Actually, it is true...... Nissan sold far more (2X as many) trucks than Ford in the first quarter...

MODEL Q1 19 / Q1 18 Q1 19 Q1 18 Q1 19 SHARE Q1 18 SHARE
TOYOTA TACOMA +8.19% 58,183 53,779 45% 48%
CHEVROLET COLORADO +16.06% 33,494 28,859 26% 26%
NISSAN FRONTIER -11.41% 20,221 22,825 16% 20%
GMC CANYON -3.59% 6,954 7,213 5% 6%
FORD RANGER * 9,421 * 7% 0%
http://fordauthority.com/2019/04/ford-ranger-sales-numbers-figures-results-first-quarter-2019-q1/

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, it is true...... Nissan sold far more (2X as many) trucks than Ford in the first quarter...
Make sure you read and account for all the posts before you come charging in a day late and a dollar short. For the umpteenth time, what's the point in comparing a statistic that starts before Ford had product available to the consumer? The person whose post I was responding to already acknowledged that Ford overtook Nissan in the most recent numbers available (in fact, Ford's May numbers seem to be higher than all but three months of the Frontier's 2018 numbers, and have consistently increased month over month), and then changed the argument from "the ranger isn't selling as well as the frontier" to "but only because of all the discounts". Yeah, the ranger sales started out slow--there weren't many available. But they're also scheduled to keep the production line running longer than usual for the 2019s. What will that mean overall? We won't know until the end of the year, and until then the numbers don't mean much. (The numbers where the Ranger outsells the Frontier also don't mean much other than to demonstrate that the relative sales positions are fluid, and that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with Ranger sales currently.) The easiest way to manipulate statistics is to play games with the sample window. But the real question is why the hell we're even talking about sales for the Nissan Frontier...

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I stand by my statement despite your nasty and condescending tone......

Ranger sold half of what the Nissan sold in the first quarter. I don't care how many Fords or Nissans sold in the 2nd QTR Nissan sold 22,000 trucks Jan Feb March, all Ford excuses aside. These are buyers who were likely aware of the Ranger and passed for whatever reason

. Ford only sold 9200 trucks in the first quarter. Maybe they beat Nissan now But that's not the discussion. I am referencing the first quarter because that's all the information we have until Ford releases second-quarter sales. But 12,000 trucks a month is not very good vs Toyota's 72,000 qtr, selling a mediocre Tacoma.

My dealer said Ranger sales have all but quit. THAT's why $5000 discounts so early. Ford overpriced the Ranger, They have not explained the 4 cyl Engine. If one is from Toyota they look at their own 4Cyl and project it to trash the 2.3 as weak as their own 4Cyl Tacoma is where a ton of sales can come from especially since the 3rd Gens are troublesome in many metrics

Ford has done a shitty job of marketing the 4 cyl. engine. Oh they will get Ford buyers but they sure as hell won't get many Tacoma buyers to believe in a 4 Cyl engine. They won't get many Tacoma sales if they don't educate the masses of Tacoma buyers. Plus there are a lot of people who will wait for the complete redesign not to buy an 11-year-old design,

Ford dropped the ball and the sales reflect it. After three months I still have not seen another Ranger.
Sponsored

Last edited: