First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
My son who also drives a new Ranger, sent me the following text this morning...............I'm at the Grand Canyon. The ranger at the gate said that he saw a prototype diesel Ranger come through a while back.
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I would honestly be surprised if it was for the American market and not just a test mule for something else being sold outside the U.S.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
It’s difficult to make a compelling argument for small diesels. The added expense for a Ranger diesel would likely be better spent for a larger truck.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My son who also drives a new Ranger, sent me the following text this morning...............I'm at the Grand Canyon. The ranger at the gate said that he saw a prototype diesel Ranger come through a while back.
He may be a ranger, but does he know Rangers?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
probably for the Central/South American market.

The twin turbo 4 cyl diesel would be interesting but our infrastructure here in the states and just American opinion in general makes it easier to market a petrol truck.

OP
OP
Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Rancher
He may be a ranger, but does he know Rangers?
According to my son, the Ranger, did know Rangers, and It wasn’t one “Lone Ranger”, but more than one together

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
According to my son, the Ranger, did know Rangers, and It wasn’t one “Lone Ranger”, but more than one together
Was there danger for the Rangers that was spotted by the Ranger that knows Rangers?

I'm going to go now lol

OP
OP
Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Rancher
probably for the Central/South American market.

The twin turbo 4 cyl diesel would be interesting but our infrastructure here in the states and just American opinion in general makes it easier to market a petrol truck.
“American opinion in general makes it easier to market a petrol truck”. I am fairly sure nation wide there are more diesel Superduties sold than petrol nation wide. In this area it’s at least 4 to 1. Colorado offers a diesel, must be a market? “Infrastructure here in the states”, don’t know what that means? I assume it must be a availability of diesel? I can’t remember when I was at a station that didn’t have diesel pumps.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
“American opinion in general makes it easier to market a petrol truck”. I am fairly sure nation wide there are more diesel Superduties sold than petrol nation wide. In this area it’s at least 4 to 1. Colorado offers a diesel, must be a market? “Infrastructure here in the states”, don’t know what that means? I assume it must be a availability of diesel? I can’t remember when I was at a station that didn’t have diesel pumps.
okay so perhaps I should have stated it differently. Heavy duty worktrucks such as the Superduty, 3500/4500 Dodge and Chevy GMC HD's all are pretty much diesel here in the US...some are optioned for petrol sure...but mostly are oil burners.

"infrastructure here in the states" statement I guess was meaning that most who are in the market for a Ranger won't be looking for a heavy duty towing engine that will need different maintenance needs. Most other countries are already geared for that. Not here. Last time folks were told that diesels were great and you should get one was bamboozled by GM into buying a poorly converted diesel Olds, Chevy truck or some such back in the 70s and early 80s. I personally don't see a market for a diesel Ranger and that is just my opinion. When you go in for an oil change and see that you have to shell out a bit over 100 bucks on a diesel vs about half that on a petrol...AND both are about the same amount of time mileage between changes....AND you need to get your DEF...vs...simple oil change...and whatever octane petrol you want...yeah just an opinion and didn't mean to step on a toe here lol

As for the colorado/canyon having a marketable diesel...possibly in your area...I can honestly say I've seen about 20 duramax badges in the greater Houston area driving around. maybe I'm just not seeing them. Of course with the Gladiator having that option perhaps we will get an oil burner. I'm sure it will sell.

D

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Prior to my Ranger purchase, a diesel Colorado was near the top of my list(manual Tacoma TRD Off-Road was #1). As much as I would’ve enjoyed a midsize diesel, i would rather have spent the money on a full-size with a V8. I believe the 2.3 is more than enough for this little truck. Now, I say this and I’m not one that goes regularly.
Sponsored