Future Ranger Gets a Diesel Powertrain Option! (Rumors)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Please keep this thread on topic
I stand by my statement.. Ranger sold half of what the Nissan sold in the first quarter. I don't care how many Nissans were made in the 4th QTR. Ford only sold 9200 trucks in the second quarter.
[...]
Nissan sold more trucks Jan Feb March, all Ford excuses aside.
Nobody is arguing against 1st quarter numbers. The argument is whether Ford is selling (present tense) more than Nissan because that's the argument that was made. For May (and April for that matter,) the answer is "no". So, sure, you can "win" that Nissan sold more in Jan, Feb, and March, but who cares? It's a window carefully chosen to make a point, rather than to shine any light on the matter, and is simply irrelevant to whether Ford or Nissan is selling more.

Maybe they beat Nissan now But that's not the discussion.
Yes, that was the discussion. I'm not sure why you're trying to change the subject, but I'm glad to see you've acknowledged the point.

My dealer said Ranger sales have all but quit. THAT's why $5000 discounts so early. Ford overpriced the Ranger,
How did Ford overprice the Ranger? They sold basically as many as they made at the price they set. If they'd lowered the price they would have sold the same number, but made less money. That would have been a pretty stupid business decision, wouldn't it? (Aside: "my dealer said" is the "once upon a time" of car discussions. My dealer said they were selling Rangers as fast as they can get them in. Together, two anecdotes make for a handful of nothing.)

They have not explained the 4 cyl Engine. If one is from Toyota they look at their own 4Cyl and project it to trash the 2.3 as weak as their own 4Cyl
Of course they explained the 4 cyl engine: it's an engine that fits in the engine compartment, makes great power, combined with the best transmission in the segment it has the best performance characteristics in the segment, and is at the top with regard to payload & towing. Maybe a Tacoma owner will think it's bad because the Tacoma 4 cyl is bad, but since they seem happy with the terrible 6 cyl Tacoma motor & transmission I won't even try to understand their reasoning. :)

Plus there are a lot of people who will wait for the complete redesign not to buy an 11-year-old design,
So let them wait. If Ford is making money, keeping a production line full, and employing a bunch of people in Michigan, what's your beef? They can't increase production without changing the plant, and they're partway through a multi-year plan to increase capacity at the same time they roll out the bronco--doing all of that in the most cost effective way possible. If they keep selling all they can of this generation of Ranger, by the time the next generation comes out (with increased production capacity) maybe they won't have to worry about asinine "but, but, but, 4cyl!" arguments, because the proof will be in all the Rangers driving around...
Sponsored

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
The "over priced" claim has resonated with people. In the limited mentions to others that I am getting a Ranger. Over priced has been consistent. and are among the first comments that I hear and that I expect to hear in the future. The over pried claim is widespread here in dead center truck country.

I parked my 2015 Laser Blue Colorado next to the lube shop at Walmart to avoid the main parking lot and a young man working there made a point to comment on my Colorado's color. He loved it. I mentioned the Ranger and he literally just said "over priced", and I took it he was disappointed about that. We discussed the new Ranger and I found myself trying to encourage him that base model might still be a value all things considered.

Anecdotal for sure but the persistence of the over priced stigma is noteworthy, and people do have a inherent interest toward the Ranger brand, whether they are potential buyers or not.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I stand by my statement despite your nasty and condescending tone......

Ranger sold half of what the Nissan sold in the first quarter. I don't care how many Fords or Nissans sold in the 2nd QTR Nissan sold 22,000 trucks Jan Feb March, all Ford excuses aside. These are buyers who were likely aware of the Ranger and passed for whatever reason

. Ford only sold 9200 trucks in the first quarter. Maybe they beat Nissan now But that's not the discussion. I am referencing the first quarter because that's all the information we have until Ford releases second-quarter sales. But 12,000 trucks a month is not very good vs Toyota's 72,000 qtr, selling a mediocre Tacoma.

My dealer said Ranger sales have all but quit. THAT's why $5000 discounts so early. Ford overpriced the Ranger, They have not explained the 4 cyl Engine. If one is from Toyota they look at their own 4Cyl and project it to trash the 2.3 as weak as their own 4Cyl Tacoma is where a ton of sales can come from especially since the 3rd Gens are troublesome in many metrics

Ford has done a shitty job of marketing the 4 cyl. engine. Oh they will get Ford buyers but they sure as hell won't get many Tacoma buyers to believe in a 4 Cyl engine. They won't get many Tacoma sales if they don't educate the masses of Tacoma buyers. Plus there are a lot of people who will wait for the complete redesign not to buy an 11-year-old design,

Ford dropped the ball and the sales reflect it. After three months I still have not seen another Ranger.
What excuses? The fact is the only reason Nissan sold more is Ford was not up to full speed up into February.

Repeating that stat is meaningless and trolling.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I stand by my statement despite your nasty and condescending tone......

Ranger sold half of what the Nissan sold in the first quarter. I don't care how many Fords or Nissans sold in the 2nd QTR Nissan sold 22,000 trucks Jan Feb March, all Ford excuses aside. These are buyers who were likely aware of the Ranger and passed for whatever reason

. Ford only sold 9200 trucks in the first quarter. Maybe they beat Nissan now But that's not the discussion. I am referencing the first quarter because that's all the information we have until Ford releases second-quarter sales. But 12,000 trucks a month is not very good vs Toyota's 72,000 qtr, selling a mediocre Tacoma.

My dealer said Ranger sales have all but quit. THAT's why $5000 discounts so early. Ford overpriced the Ranger, They have not explained the 4 cyl Engine. If one is from Toyota they look at their own 4Cyl and project it to trash the 2.3 as weak as their own 4Cyl Tacoma is where a ton of sales can come from especially since the 3rd Gens are troublesome in many metrics

Ford has done a shitty job of marketing the 4 cyl. engine. Oh they will get Ford buyers but they sure as hell won't get many Tacoma buyers to believe in a 4 Cyl engine. They won't get many Tacoma sales if they don't educate the masses of Tacoma buyers. Plus there are a lot of people who will wait for the complete redesign not to buy an 11-year-old design,

Ford dropped the ball and the sales reflect it. After three months I still have not seen another Ranger.
Lol. My dealer said.....

Yet in the other 99.9% of the country dealers cant keep them on the lot.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The "over priced" claim has resonated with people. In the limited mentions to others that I am getting a Ranger. Over priced has been consistent. and are among the first comments that I hear and that I expect to hear in the future. The over pried claim is widespread here in dead center truck country.

I parked my 2015 Laser Blue Colorado next to the lube shop at Walmart to avoid the main parking lot and a young man working there made a point to comment on my Colorado's color. He loved it. I mentioned the Ranger and he literally just said "over priced", and I took it he was disappointed about that. We discussed the new Ranger and I found myself trying to encourage him that base model might still be a value all things considered.

Anecdotal for sure but the persistence of the over priced stigma is noteworthy, and people do have a inherent interest toward the Ranger brand, whether they are potential buyers or not.
LOL! Comparing a Colorado to a Ranger by price is stupid. You get what you pay for so those who say over priced about the Ranger are just buying cheap Colorado’s.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. My dealer said.....

Yet in the other 99.9% of the country dealers can't keep them on the lot.
Got back up for that statement if fact?...Didn't think so. You pulled that number right out of your ass....LOL

A quick glance will prove dealers have plenty of stock trucks.

A Dealer in San Diego has 53 IN STOCK Trucks (El Cajon Ford)
Another dealer in SD has 55 Rangers (Mossy Ford)

Let us go to the Northeast, Paramus NJ dealer has 45 with stock numbers,

Brandon Ford Tampa Florida has 147 Rangers in stock with stock numbers.....

No..... 99.9% of dealers HAVE plenty of stock... and yes my dealer has 17 with no pending orders. Other dealers here if which there are three. All three combined have 60 Rangers in stock for 50,000 population. Yes, my dealer told me Rangers have all but stopped. I see the numbers and agree.

The 4 Cyl is killing sales because only Ford people "get it" with the 2.3 Turbo. But those who are driving weaker six cylinder trucks imagine the 4banger in the Ford to be weaker. There is definitely a disconnect when it comes to educating the masses about the 4 banger.

Those with fanboi tendency will put lipstick on the pig but it's still a pig, I will be awfully surprised if Ford sells more than 35K in the second quarter.

Last edited:

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
LOL! Comparing a Colorado to a Ranger by price is stupid. You get what you pay for so those who say over priced about the Ranger are just buying cheap Colorado’s.
Who compared compared Ranger to Colorado by price?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Anecdotal for sure but the persistence of the overpriced stigma is noteworthy, and people do have an inherent interest toward the Ranger brand, whether they are potential buyers or not.
That's my take as well. Overpriced and with a "weak" 4 cylinder engine. That's what I am hearing on other forums. Especially Tacoma World.

I believe the engine is the reason for slow sales. Like I said before Ford guys will understand the EcoBoost. But those with the 3.5 weak six cylinder in the Toyota are turned off by the 4 banger. FOrd is handling the overpriced bit with large discounts already, I'm seeing $5000 off MSRP. IF they won't bother to test drive they will not understand how strong the 2.3 is.

Ford will be and Should be compared with ALL mid-size trucks from Colorado to Tacomas. I would never buy anything GM except a Vette, Most of the reason is the local dealership. So I did not cross shop the Colorado.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's my take as well. Overpriced and with a "weak" 4 cylinder engine. That's what I am hearing on other forums. Especially Tacoma World.

I believe the engine is the reason for slow sales. Like I said before Ford guys will understand the EcoBoost. But those with the 3.5 weak six cylinder in the Toyota are turned off by the 4 banger. FOrd is handling the overpriced bit with large discounts already, I'm seeing $5000 off MSRP. IF they won't bother to test drive they will not understand how strong the 2.3 is.

Ford will be and Should be compared with ALL mid-size trucks from Colorado to Tacomas. I would never buy anything GM except a Vette, Most of the reason is the local dealership. So I did not cross shop the Colorado.
Lol. Actually go to the lots. Most not received yet or already sold.

And stop with the weak 4cyl. Crap.

Facts are most payload. Most towing. Most torque in class. More than the competitors v6's. That is not the definition of weak.

Just because you keep repeating it does not make it true.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Actually go to the lots. Most not received yet or already sold.

And stop with the weak 4cyl. Crap.

Facts are most payload. Most towing. Most torque in class. More than the competitors v6's. That is not the definition of weak.

Just because you keep repeating it does not make it true.

First of all......... get over yourself. Apparently Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
The numbers I gave you were all IN stock vehicles with stock numbers, Dealers have inventory Yes all over the country, These were not "extended inventory with no stock numbers" You can touch each one. I have spent a lot of time at the dealership in the past couple weeks and I can touch every truck in stock. They are sitting.

The 4 cyl "weak crap" is what OTHER'S think. People in other forums. and those I have talked to when asking about my truck on the street. They hear 4 Cyl and automatically are turned off. Especially 6 cyl Tacoma owners. Ford has done a shitty job of educating the masses that their 4 Cyl is stronger than the competitions six cylinder trucks. Ford made approx 45,000 trucks in three months They have to sell 15000 a month to sell all they make. Let's see how the second quarter is........

This is what I get most of the time, How can that little engine develop 270 HP.? "Must be really straining?" "It won't last 100K miles " Ford buyers already know all about the EcoBoost, Those buying 75,000 Tacomas in the 1st quarter have no clue and that's where Ford needs to pick up buyers. Toyota is selling at a rate of 7 to 1 in the first quarter. I'll bet if many of them test drove the Ford we would see far more Tacoma to Ranger sales. That's just not happening, In this very forum, there are a ton of people who came from other Ford vehicles. Only a handful from Tacoma or Colorado ITS JUNE. There is inventory.

I know it you know it,.......but the general truck buying public sees only ONE choice of engine and its a 4 cylinder in a $45,000 truck!!!. I would have thought the same had I not test driven one. All it had to do was beat the 3rd Gen Tacoma for me and that it did. I know there are a lot of fanboys who think Ford can do no wrong, I beg to differ. I am not loyal to any brand.

I am not a Ford guy or a Tacoma guy. I'm a buyer of pick up trucks and for now, it's the Ranger. In three years I will have a look at Tacoma's redesign and the redone Ranger and make my choice then. Make no mistake, the truck buying public don't understand why only ONE engine choice and why is it a 4 banger. They have to be convinced like you and I the 4 banger is strong, THat can only come from test driving, We could tell them all day how fast and smooth the truck is...They just laugh and said they would never pay close to that much for a 4 cyl engine. I wouldn't either had I not had a few Rangers in the past,

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Judging the market by Tacoma world is like judging the state of English literature by reading 4chan.
I don't understand all the attitude regarding another Forum, It's childish,

They have over 1/4 million members. Many very active. Every question about Tacoma can and will be answered, Yeah there are basement dwellers there who sling shit but all in all a great forum of like-minded people.

Like it or not, Toyota sold 74,000 trucks in the first quarter. Information easily found off any Forum.

I had four Tacomas is the last 15 years, So I know my way around the site and it has been as good as I hope this Forum will become.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
First of all......... get over yourself. Apparently Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.
The numbers I gave you were all IN stock vehicles with stock numbers, Dealers have inventory Yes all over the country, These were not "extended inventory with no stock numbers" You can touch each one. I have spent a lot of time at the dealership in the past couple weeks and I can touch every truck in stock. They are sitting.

The 4 cyl "weak crap" is what OTHER'S think. People in other forums. and those I have talked to when asking about my truck on the street. They hear 4 Cyl and automatically are turned off. Especially 6 cyl Tacoma owners. Ford has done a shitty job of educating the masses that their 4 Cyl is stronger than the competitions six cylinder trucks. Ford made approx 45,000 trucks in three months They have to sell 15000 a month to sell all they make. Let's see how the second quarter is........

This is what I get most of the time, How can that little engine develop 270 HP.? "Must be really straining?" "It won't last 100K miles " Ford buyers already know all about the EcoBoost, Those buying 75,000 Tacomas in the 1st quarter have no clue and that's where Ford needs to pick up buyers. Toyota is selling at a rate of 7 to 1 in the first quarter. I'll bet if many of them test drove the Ford we would see far more Tacoma to Ranger sales. That's just not happening, In this very forum, there are a ton of people who came from other Ford vehicles. Only a handful from Tacoma or Colorado ITS JUNE. There is inventory.

I know it you know it,.......but the general truck buying public sees only ONE choice of engine and its a 4 cylinder in a $45,000 truck!!!. I would have thought the same had I not test driven one. All it had to do was beat the 3rd Gen Tacoma for me and that it did. I know there are a lot of fanboys who think Ford can do no wrong, I beg to differ. I am not loyal to any brand.

I am not a Ford guy or a Tacoma guy. I'm a buyer of pick up trucks and for now, it's the Ranger. In three years I will have a look at Tacoma's redesign and the redone Ranger and make my choice then. Make no mistake, the truck buying public don't understand why only ONE engine choice and why is it a 4 banger. They have to be convinced like you and I the 4 banger is strong, THat can only come from test driving, We could tell them all day how fast and smooth the truck is...They just laugh and said they would never pay close to that much for a 4 cyl engine. I wouldn't either had I not had a few Rangers in the past,
Get over myself?? Really?

You state one dealer has Rangers. Goody for you. 1 dealer is what percentage of dealers in the US?

There is exactly 2 rangers on lots within 150 miles of my house. The websites would lend one to belive there is stock everywhere.

I know because I went to all these dealers over the past week and they cant keep them for more than a day.

What you see on a dealer lot is not predictive of the entire country.

See that? I replied with 0 insults. What a concept. You should try it.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Ford is being forced to offer discounts on the Ranger to improve sales, but they have done it to themselves by offering huge discounts on the F-150. You can’t expect to sell a Ranger at full MSRP while having big discounts on an F-150 because it brings them too close together in price. Sure there are some people like myself that wanted the smaller truck and didn’t mind paying somewhat close to a discounted F-150 price, but most customers see a smaller truck and expect a smaller price.

The Ranger will be a solid 3rd place in sales behind the Tacoma and Colorado for the year. What happens going forward is anyone’s guess. They will have to get more aggressive on marketing and continue to offer new features to improve it’s sales position in the midsized market. It’s a solid offering and is very competitive in it’s class.
Sponsored