First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Should have chosen a less lazy title...... Oh well, stuck with it now.

So I have been playing tonight. I found an APIM asbuilt decoder program on GITHUB. You will need to install Python in order to run it, but once python is installed it runs from the CMD Prompt. You may need to sign up with GITHUB in order to download the file, I'm not sure since I already had an account. But here is the link:

https://github.com/consp/apim-asbuilt-decode/archive/master.zip

Once downloaded you will need to extract it somewhere that you will remember. Open the CMD prompt after Python is installed and change the directory to the folder. Example: cd C:\Users\bruce\Desktop\apim-asbuilt-decode-master\

After the directory is changed type in python src/apim.py
1596764771564.png

You will then see a box like this:
1596764871985.png

Select Open File and go to the location of your ASBUILT .ab file or your FORSCAN .abt file and open them.

1596765027428.png

You will have to change the file type in order to see the .ab file if you choose to use that on. And this is what you see next.

1596765118145.png

You can edit and save it from here. Use a copy of the files and not the originals in case you screw up like I'm sure I will.

Have fun, and I hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
helped me realize i have no clue what to do with this information

It takes the asbuit file or the forscan file and make it where you can play with them without being tethered to the vehicle.

I really like being able to actually look at my asbuilt data without having to mess with a spreadsheet and bouncing around in forscan trying to figure out what each code is.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Since you figured this out is it possible to had the navigation on the APIM?

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
From what I have read, if you don't have NAV then you would have to purchase a new APIM that has NAV. You still have to make sure it's programmed to your VIN. I found a website, or saw a post on here that led me to a website for a company that sells APIMs with NAV for non-NAV equiped SYNC systems. I'll try to find it later and update this if you would like.

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Thanks for sharing this @Bproctor. I wonder if it could be of help to the Terrain Management thread where we are trying to get Trail Control to work on trucks that do not come with it from factory.

I was able to download the file just fine by clicking on your link. Will mess about with it later. Did you find any other neat asbuilt programs over there on github that might help?

Mods, I hope it is alright to reference this thread in another.

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
Thanks for sharing this @Bproctor. I wonder if it could be of help to the Terrain Management thread where we are trying to get Trail Control to work on trucks that do not come with it from factory.

I was able to download the file just fine by clicking on your link. Will mess about with it later. Did you find any other neat asbuilt programs over there on github that might help?

Mods, I hope it is alright to reference this thread in another.
I just stumbled across this while trying to find a way to get the NA signs for the traffic sign recognition option. It just gave me a little better understanding of what my as built data is and the mods I have been making in forscan. Maybe if you open your forscan file with it, just replace the .ab file with the .abt you get from forscan you will find what you are looking for. I plan to prep my forscan files with this next time I have time to mess with it. Then I will see if there is any benefit to using it or not other than just reading my as built data.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
The GUI seems to give more detailed explainations than some of the asbuilt comparer programs I have tried. I have Python already installed but my PyQT is not up to ver5 so will not run yet. I enjoy trying linux and other OS's but ugh do they make if difficult at times for newbies to install and run software. No straight up easy one program one click installs, LoL.

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
The GUI seems to give more detailed explainations than some of the asbuilt comparer programs I have tried. I have Python already installed but my PyQT is not up to ver5 so will not run yet. I enjoy trying linux and other OS's but ugh do they make if difficult at times for newbies to install and run software. No straight up easy one program one click installs, LoL.
Agreed! The instructions for this were not that intuitive. I forgot about the addins. ??‍♂

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Wow - this is a great find! Very interesting - I just started looking - I'm wondering how accurate some of the info is however - this is what I got from 7D0-02-01:

1596895573617.png

Says the "vehicle style" is a hatchback - and there is an option for a pickup truck.

One other thing - if you haven't installed python before, you will also need to install pyqt5. It is not something I would recommend for someone not comfortable on the command line.

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
Wow - this is a great find! Very interesting - I just started looking - I'm wondering how accurate some of the info is however - this is what I got from 7D0-02-01:

1596895573617.png

Says the "vehicle style" is a hatchback - and there is an option for a pickup truck.

One other thing - if you haven't installed python before, you will also need to install pyqt5. It is not something I would recommend for someone not comfortable on the command line.
Hmmm, I thought mine showed truck there. I'll have to check that later. Is that your .ab file from the Ford site?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, I thought mine showed truck there. I'll have to check that later. Is that your .ab file from the Ford site?
Interesting - No that was a subsequent back file I generated but I don't recall making a change - but when I loaded my original backup (before I made any changes), it shows Pickup Truck. I take back what I said... :)
Sponsored