First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
So there is another thread here that i posted a couple months back on but i had questions about how many keys can be made and how you go about removing a key if you lost one for example.

so i have an XL with the key fob with built-in key and it doesn't have remote start.

I was able to create 4 more keys, 3 fobs and one hard key, and they all start the truck. The one hard key obviously doesn't lock/unlock the truck but does start it even if a fob locked it prior. So I now have 6 admin keys. 0 mykeys. If i try to create one more fob, it says maximum number of keys made or something like that. So that tells me, 6 admin keys are the max. I even tried to convert one of the admin keys to a mykey and then create another admin key but that doesn't work. So it seems that 6 keys, be it 6 admin keys and 0 mykeys or any combination thereof is the max- 6 keys.

Is 6 truly the max? is there some magic i can do to change one of the admin keys to a mykey so i can create another admin key for 7 total keys?

If that's not possible, i am good until i lose one/2/3/4. Which I doubt will ever happen. I have multiple residences so wanted the ability to create a new 3rd key at either place if needed. I know, OCD. That leads me to my next question. Can i delete an admin key? I found something about PATS on the old ranger forum:

CLEARING PATS KEYS FROM e-PATS SYSTEM
To reset/erase lost keys from your PATs system you will need two (2) working programmed keys.

1. Insert 1 (Key A) of the working PATs keys into the ignition.
  2. Turn the key to the ON position for at least 1 Second then turn back to the OFF/LOCK position and remove key.
  3. Within 10 seconds of removing the first key, insert the 2nd (Key B) working PATs key.
  4. Turn the key to the ON position for at least 1 Second then turn back to the OFF/LOCK position. After doing this you should see THEFT illuminate solid for 3 seconds. This means the e-PATs system is in learning mode. Remove key.
  5. Re-insert the 2nd (Key B) working PATs key (The one you just removed) turn it to the ON position for at least 1 Second then turn back to OFF/LOCK position.
  6. Insert the 1st (Key A) working PATs key into the ignition and turn to the ON position and leave in the ON position for at least 5 Seconds.

By doing this you will have cleared all and any keys that have been programmed to your e-PATs system except for the last two (2) keys used in this process.

I have not tried this. Has anyone? perhaps I won't until i lose a key, if i ever do, then see if this works.

thoughts?
Sponsored