First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Street legal dirt bike, small one like 150cc. Probably net you 80mpg.
Sponsored

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
So are you saying you always
get 27MPG or better? Because the post I was replying to, that is what he said. Also he has 4x4.
No I am not saying I always get 27+ just got it that time so I took a pict. I know I will never get that on a daily basics maybe on long trips I may get close .

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
No I am not saying I always get 27+ just got it that time so I took a pict. I know I will never get that on a daily basics maybe on long trips I may get close .
Then why did you quote me? That is NOT what I was replying to. Sure, if I go down hill with a tail wind I can get short term 27mpg. SO WHAT? That means absolutely nothing and I would never insinuate I get 27mpg based on that

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I got just over 28 mpg from the Costco where I fueled this morning to my worksite. By the end of the day when I get home, I'll be back down to about 23-24, and will likely end up around 25.5 by the end of the tank or when I fuel next week. Easy to have high mileage immediately after fueling, and very hard to maintain it with any amount of regular driving/idling, etc.

It's gonna be what it's gonna be, and I suspect there will be few of us that need to expect to average what the window sticker said we would, with the rare handful of us that do because of where we live and how much highway mileage we have. I might be one of those exceptions, actually, because I live on flat ground here in AZ and have about 80% freeway driving.

I hope the OP enjoys the truck and doesn't feel the need to eyeball the mpg's all the time as that might suck the joy out of what otherwise would be an awesome purchase.

Happy Friday, y'all!

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Lightning
$2k saved.... That's a Cruise for two...
Over 8 years if driving the average of 12k miles/yr.
I'm not saying that its worthless to do, just that its minimal in the grand scheme, as its less than $0.63/day savings in the scenario presented.

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
I like performance.. my first turbo engine...the 2.3 Ford turbo is great...
I plan to add performance tune mods... And eventually tow a 5000# travel trailer... So maybe I just run mid octane from the get go.... alternate some premium gas tank fills... and eventually run premium full time. I will check mileage accordingly. Not sure if their is an app for heavy right or left foot ?
Oh yeah their is... It's my auto insurance chip monitor.... Not....Don't want anyone to see that!!!

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
I like performance.. my first turbo engine...the 2.3 Ford turbo is great...
I plan to add performance tune mods... And eventually tow a 5000# travel trailer... So maybe I just run mid octane from the get go.... alternate some premium gas tank fills... and eventually run premium full time. I will check mileage accordingly. Not sure if their is an app for heavy right or left foot ?
Oh yeah their is... It's my auto insurance chip monitor.... Not....Don't want anyone to see that!!!
I need a fuel enhancement...'Booze' ...high or mid or regular strength... Especially after Covid Vaca for 2 weeks... Then wisdom tooth blow up and needed extraction... on Amoxicillin for 3 weeks... Then hit by idiot drivers totalling my F150... The say everything becomes in threes... But can't it be with enhancements.. The good is I got my new 2022 Ranger..now if I could only f'n drink some alcohol enhancements !... Only 8 more days of discomfort and taking wellness meds.... Ugh!!
When I go out to celebrate my new Ranger... Probably won't drive it... I'll go seriously off the wagon.... Afraid I'll wreck it and should not be driving anyways...
Guess I'll be telling stories to my Uber driver....

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Then why did you quote me? That is NOT what I was replying to. Sure, if I go down hill with a tail wind I can get short term 27mpg. SO WHAT? That means absolutely nothing and I would never insinuate I get 27mpg based on that
It's not hard to average 27+mpg if your driving conditions are right. It won't happen if you're doing a bunch of little 3mi trips in the city, sitting at stoplights and in drive-thru lanes. But if you do a lot of lengthy stretches on the freeway with cruise set at a reasonable speed, it's not too hard.

Throw on a bunch of off-road mods and you won't be getting 27+mpg, either. But a stock 4x4 can do it no problem under the right conditions.

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
It's not hard to average 27+mpg if your driving conditions are right. It won't happen if you're doing a bunch of little 3mi trips in the city, sitting at stoplights and in drive-thru lanes. But if you do a lot of lengthy stretches on the freeway with cruise set at a reasonable speed, it's not too hard.

Throw on a bunch of off-road mods and you won't be getting 27+mpg, either. But a stock 4x4 can do it no problem under the right conditions.
Not planning on upgrading tires, wheels, or lifting for enhanced 4x4 application. I'm not sure yet about my mpg yet...still on first tank...and have always liked performance too... more for street application. Not that this stock 2.3 isn't bad. Have read about an increase in HP and MPG with flash tune, airbox mod. Also can upgrade turbo system parts like a intercooler, catted down pipe, blow off valve. And add a cat exhaust.

Why did we climb Everest... Because it's there and we can...

Same with the Ranger ...a flash performance tune pkg... Because the tune equip is there and we can make it go better. So, I'm gonna first upgrade to a performance tune for the engine. Then the suspension for better shocks...and may level out the Ranger two inches in the front... after I put few thousand miles on my new Desert Sand XLT FX4. But I've got to plan on upgrading the speakers in that mix of spending because the stock ones suck!
I'll keep detailed notes data on performance positives and share with the forum.

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Not planning on upgrading tires, wheels, or lifting for enhanced 4x4 application. I'm not sure yet about my mpg yet...still on first tank...and have always liked performance too... more for street application. Not that this stock 2.3 isn't bad. Have read about an increase in HP and MPG with flash tune, airbox mod. Also can upgrade turbo system parts like a intercooler, catted down pipe, blow off valve. And add a cat exhaust.

Why did we climb Everest... Because it's there and we can...

Same with the Ranger ...a flash performance tune pkg... Because the tune equip is there and we can make it go better. So, I'm gonna first upgrade to a performance tune for the engine. Then the suspension for better shocks...and may level out the Ranger two inches in the front... after I put few thousand miles on my new Desert Sand XLT FX4. But I've got to plan on upgrading the speakers in that mix of spending because the stock ones suck!
I'll keep detailed notes data on performance positives and share with the forum.
Another thought is .. nothing inside hanging from the rearview mirror !!!
I separate myself from that pack ...

Deleted member 15875

I don't think 27MPG or anything close to this is realistic. There's something not adding up with your numbers, IMO.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I don't think 27MPG or anything close to this is realistic. There's something not adding up with your numbers, IMO.
I'm happy to keep it at 22 or a little better. I drive it easy most of the time an do some back roads an some highway to an from work. With winter gas an the temps dropping I know it's going to go down. I've had it drop all the way to high 17's in the winter during cold periods.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
how is it not realistic?

check all the fuel economy threads. there are people getting those numbers.

How to do it:
1. take it easy on the accelerator.
2. drive a lot of highway miles (50-70mph seems good for these purposes) in trips of 20+ minutes
3. light tires and mostly stock builds (no major changes to aerodynamics or drivetrain)
4. temps warm enough for the engine to warm up quickly, yet not hot enough to be blasting the A/C
5. if on rolling terrain, I do better on fuel economy NOT using cruise control so I can coast on the downs. but on the flat terrain, cruise control is better on fuel economy for me.

For my own driving purposes, I am only able to push high fuel economy on long road trips. But I can consistently break 27mpg and have done better than 29 once or twice. Which means, yes, I have gone very close to 500mi on a tank of gas. those trips amount to around 1/5 - 1/8 of my total driving in my Ranger, so it's not insignificant. My summertime AVERAGE mpg tends to be just shy of 24mpg, which includes sitting at stoplights, accelerating harder from time to time, going downtown, hauling landscaping supplies, and such things that reduce fuel economy. In colder months that drops to around 22mpg unless I do more long drives that allow the engine to warm up and thereby do better on gas. When I tow my little camper (around 1500lb loaded), I get from 20-22mpg depending on the trip.

Generally speaking, I get the same or better than EPA posted fuel economy in my vehicles. I periodically hand calculate fuel economy even if I have a computer doing calculations. After awhile, I get a feel for how much range I should get out of a tank of gas and one of my trip meters gets reset after every fillup so I can monitor that. my hand calcs are within 0.5mpg of the truck's computer.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
Just to play devil's advocate; here are gas prices at the Shell fuel station I use in Henderson, NV from today.

Regular 87: $4.96
Mid 89: $5.20
Prem 91: $5.44

So it's a jump of .24¢ per grade or .48¢ for the "full monte" jump from Reg -> Premium. Assuming we don't run our tanks completely dry, let's go on a 17 gallon fill up.

Reg -> Mid, or Mid -> Premium costs me $4.08 extra
Reg -> Premium costs me $8.16 extra

So not even a punkin' spice latte's worth of cost per fill up per tank to go up one grade, and a 2022 Happy Meal's worth of extra cost to give my Ranger some V-Power.

That's my personal justification why I just run 91 in my cars.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Accelerate like crazy going up a hill/grade, the faster you get up there, the less fuel you'll use, and then coast down the downslope.
Going up probably 10-12 mpg, going down coasting maybe 80-90 mpg.
Averages out to 40-45 mpg.
On flats, get someone to push you.
Sponsored