First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I just don't understand how ppl are getting these mileage I drive like an old man and only have stock LT off road tires and get 20ish in city driving :p
I generally fall about 19.4 when I hand calculate. I find tow mode helps my mpgs quite a bit in lower speed, in town, driving. I only use premium as well, not for mileage benefits, but I'm sure it helps a little.

Really wish they would've put the tow/haul button on the shifter.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I averaged today doing 54 MPH, cruise control set, about 26 to 27 MPG. I take off real slow, coast to stops, watch others pass me in a hurry to pay more money at the gas pump. Not sure about the OP, but if you take it real easy, your gas mileage will improve. Seems no one can slow down these days though. And check your tire pressure. I run 40 PSI in my tires and it helps, rather than under inflated tires. And the window sticker said 19-19-19 for my Tremor. That is not even close if you drive easy!
For how many miles?

Reading the computer's estimate over a 20 minute drive on the highway with cruise set is not at all what we are talking about. We are talking about real world, HAND CALCULATED, averages accross at least an entire tank.

If you really tell people you get 26mpg in your Tremor that's disingenuous at best.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
One info gauge I NEVER look at is the mpg. I drive it till the fuel gauge reads 1/3 to 1/4 and then I fill up.
As far as I'm concerned, trying to eek out another mile or two by obsessing over my driving habits, the load I'm carrying, the trailer I'm towing, isn't worth the aggravation.
I enjoy my Ranger, I drive my Ranger, and it is just "the cost of doing business".
This. All day long.

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
For how many miles?

Reading the computer's estimate over a 20 minute drive on the highway with cruise set is not at all what we are talking about. We are talking about real world, HAND CALCULATED, averages accross at least an entire tank.

If you really tell people you get 26mpg in your Tremor that's disingenuous at best.
You know what Doug, every time I post about my fuel mileage here you basically call me a liar. I have hand calculated it and my display is right on. And those drives are at least an hour. Are you just trying to stir up trouble????

Deleted member 1634

I just don't understand how ppl are getting these mileage I drive like an old man and only have stock LT off road tires and get 20ish in city driving :p
The problem with that statement is everyone has a different definition of crazy, normal, sedate, "old man", etc. driving style. For instance, most people's definition of normal is stomping on it accelerating from a stop sign/stoplight. Much like @Phil_R I accelerate slow and smooth, sometimes taking up to a mile to get up to 60mph from a stop on the flat, barely use the brake pedal (that wastes a lot of energy). And I get 22-23mpg on my 8mile work commute through multiple stoplights, and up to 26-28mpg on long highway trips. And I'm running slightly more aggressive AT tires.
So my point is you may think you're driving like an old man, but those of us who are driving a very regimented eco-style may think you're still driving pretty normal and excited. It's all about perspective.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
You know what Doug, every time I post about my fuel mileage here you basically call me a liar. I have hand calculated it and my display is right on. And those drives are at least an hour. Are you just trying to stir up trouble????
I'm simply stating that if you are truly hand calculating a 26mpg you either...

A. Are cherrypicking the data

B. Have a very unusual average drive

C. Have a very unusual driving style

D. Don't know how to calculate mileage

Or

E. Have an odd fascination with MPG and want to feel as though you are "winning."

Everytime? We've discussed this exactly once before. And I'd bet at least 34.5% of your posts mention your "fuel mileage." It's for this reason, I'll go with a combo of C and E.

If in fact you AVERAGE 26 mpg in your Tremor you either exclusively drive on a flat freeway at 55mph or you have the one and only Tremor that will do so. Neither of those seem very likely.

So while I'm not quite calling you a liar on this one. I am saying you're full of shit.

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
The problem with that statement is everyone has a different definition of crazy, normal, sedate, "old man", etc. driving style. For instance, most people's definition of normal is stomping on it accelerating from a stop sign/stoplight. Much like @Phil_R I accelerate slow and smooth, sometimes taking up to a mile to get up to 60mph from a stop on the flat, barely use the brake pedal (that wastes a lot of energy). And I get 22-23mpg on my 8mile work commute through multiple stoplights, and up to 26-28mpg on long highway trips. And I'm running slightly more aggressive AT tires.
So my point is you may think you're driving like an old man, but those of us who are driving a very regimented eco-style may think you're still driving pretty normal and excited. It's all about perspective.
Thank you. You and I drive very much alike. I live in a very small town and have about 2 stops before I am on a rural highway. This way most of my driving is highway with a few rural 45 MPH roads, so to speak, to go to another bigger town about an hour away. Need my Home Depot and Texas Roadhouse stops!!!

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Yup I understand this. I fall in between those 2 styles but closer to the slower side of things. Rarely above 3K RPM in street driving and usually between 1500-2000RPM. Just jealous is all :p I also only use 87 cause 91 is way to much money in CA atm.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This why I dislike MPG threads. You get people comparing mileage that are not calculating it the same, different vehicle, different location, different people driving, different mods, different routes, different distances, different everything. Then they compare them and complain/argue when someone has a better number.

I'm with @Grumpaw, I drive my truck like I want to, I use it how I want, I mod it how I want, I fill it up when it needs gas. The h@ll with mileage it is what it is and I enjoy my truck. Life is too short to do otherwise.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I check milage every fill up, the computor, not hand calculated, because its easy. I don't obsess over it, I just like looking at numbers, drive conservative. Have some fun once or twice a tankfull.
The biggest difference is when winter fuel hits the market.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
This why I dislike MPG threads. You get people comparing mileage that are not calculating it the same, different vehicle, different location, different people driving, different mods, different routes, different distances, different everything. Then they compare them and complain/argue when someone has a better number.

I'm with @Grumpaw, I drive my truck like I want to, I use it how I want, I mod it how I want, I fill it up when it needs gas. The h@ll with mileage it is what it is and I enjoy my truck. Life is too short to do otherwise.
download.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm simply stating that if you are truly hand calculating a 26mpg you either...

A. Are cherrypicking the data

B. Have a very unusual average drive

C. Have a very unusual driving style

D. Don't know how to calculate mileage

Or

E. Have an odd fascination with MPG and want to feel as though you are "winning."

Everytime? We've discussed this exactly once before. And I'd bet at least 34.5% of your posts mention your "fuel mileage." It's for this reason, I'll go with a combo of C and E.

If in fact you AVERAGE 26 mpg in your Tremor you either exclusively drive on a flat freeway at 55mph or you have the one and only Tremor that will do so. Neither of those seem very likely.

So while I'm not quite calling you a liar on this one. I am saying you're full of shit.
I'm going step in here with my Moderator hat and warn everyone to play nice. There are several violations of forum rules in several of these posts. Future infractions may create timeouts for anyone deciding to push the envelope.

Lets keep the forum friendly.

OP
OP

duffyduzz

First Name
Duffy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4 X 4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Get rid of the RTT. Mine reduces millage by 2-3 MPG.
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen!
I have only checked mileage with the Maggiolina on top. But if you've ever seen one, they are very aerodynamic, with a slim 5" profile in front and about a 12" height in rear, a very wedge-shaped roof top tent. The RTT and the shell are probably around 300 lbs or slightly more.
Sponsored