Fuel in oil

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I installed the UPR catch can about a week ago, and after about a 600 Mile road trip this last weekend I wanted to see what it had captured, and much to my surprise it contained a few ounces of gasoline (maybe a little water, but it has been warm here in Texas and the engine never cooled down during the trip). So I then figured I should check my oil, and sure enough it reeked of gasoline. Then I went back and checked the level, and it was way overfilled! Obviously a ton of fuel in the oil. Only 1800 miles on the truck, almost entirely highway. I only take it for drives into town (about a 20 mile drive one way) and roadtrips. We have 2 beaters we drive to work each day. I took it to the dealer yesterday and no word back yet. How much extra wear do you think that could've caused the engine in that amount of time? Should I press Ford for an extended warranty on my engine? If I was like many owners and just followed the 10,000 mile oil interval without ever checking who knows how bad it could have gotten. I also wonder what caused it. My best guess would be a leaking injector, but maybe a poorly seated piston ring? I'll report back here once I get it back from the dealer.

IMG_20191020_191431.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Also forgot to mention when I removed the original hose from the PCV valve it too reeked of gas, but I didn't think much of it at the time. I figured it's normal to get a little fuel into the crankcase and that the smell is so potent it can overpower everything else, but now I know that I should've been worried...

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
That's very odd. Would take some serious blowby to do that in 1800 miles. Did you notice poor gas mileage? Did you check the oil level when you first got it?

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Ya the oil level was normal when I first checked at 200 miles or so, but I never smelled it or anything which could've been an early giveaway of the problem. My gas mileage has actually been pretty good, but when I check at the pump it is generally about 2 mpg lower than the computer calculates. However I drive like a grandpa, so I'm sure my driving tendencies are countering any losses that this issue is causing.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
And ya I agree, if I was constantly cold starting it and going on short trips I could understand a little fuel getting in the crankcase, but not like this...

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I installed the UPR catch can about a week ago, and after about a 600 Mile road trip this last weekend I wanted to see what it had captured, and much to my surprise it contained a few ounces of gasoline (maybe a little water, but it has been warm here in Texas and the engine never cooled down during the trip). So I then figured I should check my oil, and sure enough it reeked of gasoline. Then I went back and checked the level, and it was way overfilled! Obviously a ton of fuel in the oil. Only 1800 miles on the truck, almost entirely highway. I only take it for drives into town (about a 20 mile drive one way) and roadtrips. We have 2 beaters we drive to work each day. I took it to the dealer yesterday and no word back yet. How much extra wear do you think that could've caused the engine in that amount of time? Should I press Ford for an extended warranty on my engine? If I was like many owners and just followed the 10,000 mile oil interval without ever checking who knows how bad it could have gotten. I also wonder what caused it. My best guess would be a leaking injector, but maybe a poorly seated piston ring? I'll report back here once I get it back from the dealer.

IMG_20191020_191431.jpg
Did you leave the catch can on the truck when you took it to the dealer?

The PCV System is designed to take all these crankcase gasses and reburn them in the engine. To your knowledge you didn't have the problem until you installed the catch can in the PCV System, right? Then logically, my best guess is, something is wrong with the catch can installation, or something related to the catch can design is causing this issue. Likely vacuum hose related, resulting in a vacuum leak.

Should you press Ford for an extended warranty? If the catch can installation caused the issue, then it's on you, not Ford.

That's the problem with installing aftermarket parts on a vehicle that's under warranty.

Last edited:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Thats pretty bad for just blow-by. Wonder if maybe there was an injector stuck on?

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

The PCV System is designed to take all these crankcase gasses and reburn them in the engine. To your knowledge you didn't have the problem until you installed the catch can in the PCV System, right? Then logically, my best guess is, something is wrong with the catch can installation, or something related to the catch can design is causing this issue. Likely vacuum hose related, resulting in a vacuum leak.

Should you press Ford for an extended warranty? If the catch can installation caused the issue, then it's on you, not Ford.

That's the problem with installing aftermarket parts on a vehicle that's under warranty.
Like I said, the original PCV hose also reeked of gasoline when I removed it, the inside is also coated in gasoline. And tell me exactly how a catch can would cause gasoline to enter the crankcase? There is no way it could lead to this problem. Heck, if I never installed the catch can I would've never discovered the problem, at least until I changed the oil.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Like I said, the original PCV hose also reeked of gasoline when I removed it, the inside is also coated in gasoline. And tell me exactly how a catch can would cause gasoline to enter the crankcase? There is no way it could lead to this problem. Heck, if I never installed the catch can I would've never discovered the problem, at least until I changed the oil.
Also, if there was a vacuum leak there would be a CEL, which there is not.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thats pretty bad for just blow-by. Wonder if maybe there was an injector stuck on?
Ya my best guess would have something to do with one of the injectors, hopefully the techs at the Ford dealer get it figured out quickly!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Like I said, the original PCV hose also reeked of gasoline when I removed it, the inside is also coated in gasoline.
That's not unusual, it's pulling blow-by vapors (which includes fuel vapors) from the crankcase to be re-burned in the engine.

And tell me exactly how a catch can would cause gasoline to enter the crankcase? There is no way it could lead to this problem. Heck, if I never installed the catch can I would've never discovered the problem, at least until I changed the oil.
Cause and effect. It ran fine, no issues before the catch can install. Then you installed the catch can, now there is an issue.

But you are right, it might be a coincidence. Looking forward to what you hear from the dealer.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
That's not unusual, it's pulling blow-by vapors (which includes fuel vapors) from the crankcase to be re-burned in the engine.
Ya I agree there, hence why I didn't take issue with it when I first smelled it.

Cause and effect. It ran fine, no issues before the catch can install. Then you installed the catch can, now there is an issue.

There was never any change in how the truck ran, it still runs great, I was just excited to see what the catch can had caught after a 600 Mile road trip and all that was in there was a few ounces of fuel, which was pretty surprising. That led to my investigation of the oil, and the discovery of some serious fuel dilution in the oil. So I immediately drove it over to the dealer. I must admit that I am now a little paranoid that I could've installed something wrong... Haha.

But you are right, it might be a coincidence. Looking forward to what you hear from the dealer.
Ya me too, do you think much extra wear could've been caused in 1800 miles with fuel dilution? That's all I'm really worried about at this point, I know the issue will get fixed one way or another.

I did unfortunately. Such a pita to install, I had no desire to remove it. They'd have to prove it caused the issue to deny a warranty claim, and if it is my fault I'll take the hit. I appreciate the advice.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I did unfortunately. Such a pita to install, I had no desire to remove it. They'd have to prove it caused the issue to deny a warranty claim, and if it is my fault I'll take the hit. I appreciate the advice.
That's good, IMO, that you left the catch can on. Then they can run diagnostics and see if it had anything to do with the issue.

Thanks for taking my comments as advice and not as a critical evaluation... I'd really like to put a catch can on my Ranger... I'm just worried about warranty issues.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology

I understand why but some of you guys are really paranoid about warranty issues but it's just a catch can, it literally does nothing but catch oil. If it was put on wrong it would throw a code and even then it could not cause this issue. You also have to understand, this isn't like an insurance company looking for any reason to deny your claim. Dealers make money off warranty repairs so they'd have to have a very good reason to deny one and lose the work, like your truck looks like it just came back from running Baja or something...

The only time I ever had an issue was with a branded title (technically a totaled vehicle) due to hail damage which came up under the VIN. I thought I had a rear axle issue that in no way could be related to dents on the bodywork. I got the dealer to work with me on a reduced rate but it turned out to a simple loose wire.
Sponsored