Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I know, a lengthly lead up to a conclusion;

I bought my 2021 XLT from my local Ford Dealer last September, (2022), with 8,500 miles on the odometer. It was a fleet vehicle that was brought down from Quebec for auction. I thought that the low mileage was unusual but it was one of the last Rangers that came off of the assembly line for 2021, it was delivered in 10/2021 and the CARFAX history report was clean.

I do not drive it much and about the time I rolled past 10,000 miles on the odometer in June I started getting the Change Oil countdown on the display. The FordPass App had the same information. I thought that unusual as the dealer's oil change sticker on the inside of the windshield indicated the next change was due at 13,400 miles, (the dealer recommends every 5,000 miles so the math works on the sticker). The dealer was also calling me with reminders.

I started to wonder if the truck had ever had an oil change and 10,000 miles kicked in the upper limit. I bought Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-30 full synthetic, the oil filter from the dealer and changed the oil myself saving a sample for a Blackstone Labs analysis that I sent off the next day.

The dealer called again the week after, I indicated that I had taken care of the oil change myself but while I had them on the phone I had them pull up the records of the service they performed on it when they received the truck in 09/2022. My FordPass App indicated service was done but there was no description. They had changed the oil, oil filter, rotated the tires, safety check, etc.

After my oil change it did not take long before the FordPass App started to calculate Oil Life percentage and miles to change, it was declining rapidly with less than 300 miles on the oil change. In addition to that the oil on the end of the dipstick smelled like fuel. I had received the Blackstone Labs results that were unremarkable but they indicated that the oil sample did have some fuel dilution and thinning.

I assembled my information including a screenshot of the FordPass information and dropped in on the Ford dealer's service department to discuss it with them. They put me off for a week so they could get a "Master Technician" to work on it. Before I dropped it off I bought another (7) quarts of Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-30 full synthetic with instructions to use that IF, (stress on IF), it needed another change use that.

By the time I dropped it off with about 300 miles on the oil change the FordPass App "Oil Life" was indicating 88% and 2,200 miles to the next change.

The Technician called me and said that they had pulled a sample and found nothing wrong with it but they changed the oil anyways using what I had provided, (another $55.00 pissed away). They also indicated, (paraphrased), "Whoever did the last oil change probably didn't reset it or reset it right". I told him that I was the one that changed the oil and reset the oil counter that was easier to do than my wife's Ford Escape. He said that "sometimes it doesn't take the reset properly"...yeah right.

When I picked up my truck they had an invoice for the oil change labor, I was not happy and asked about the last oil change that they did before I took delivery of the truck and why it only lasted about 2,000 miles. The Service Advisor told me Ford recommends (5) months or 5,000 miles between changes whichever comes first. Now I am going from unhappy to pissed off and I asked, "You are telling me that oil be it synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional goes bad in (5) months sitting in the crankcase?". He said that is Ford's position so I asked him to show me as he was right in front of his computer. He spends about five+ minutes tapping away but can't find anything, I am not surprised. Then he produces one of the dealer's service handouts to support his position which actually indicates 5,000 miles or (6) months. I think that the (6) months thing is BS.

I have talked to a number of service facilities over the years and their position is every two years no matter how low the miles or hours are on the engine oil unless the storage conditions are for $#!+.

I paid the invoice telling the Service Advisor that once upon a time I had his job at a foreign car service facility so I understood that he was just doing his job but it is a piss poor reflection on the dealership.

Additionally, they tell me that they put a scratch mark on my dipstick and that I should stop back in 500 miles so they can "check it out". No appointment necessary. We know/I know what they are looking for...like the oil level going up.

This morning I start digging into this Ford 2.3L EcoBoost engine oil fuel dilution thing. Look what I found. It is the Ford SSM 50736, (similar or the same as a Ford TSB), right from the Ford site. I am going to send it off to the Service Advisor I was dealing with yesterday and thank him for sharing this with me...NOT!!!

SSM 50736_Oil Dilution.png
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

I bought my 2021 XLT from my local Ford Dealer last September, (2022), with 8,500 miles on the odometer. It was a fleet vehicle that was brought down from Quebec for auction. I thought that the low mileage was unusual but it was one of the last Rangers that came off of the assembly line for 2021, it was delivered in 10/2021 and the CARFAX history report was clean.

I do not drive it much and about the time I rolled past 10,000 miles on the odometer in June I started getting the Change Oil countdown on the display. The FordPass App had the same information. I thought that unusual as the dealer's oil change sticker on the inside of the windshield indicated the next change was due at 13,400 miles, (the dealer recommends every 5,000 miles so the math works on the sticker). The dealer was also calling me with reminders.

I started to wonder if the truck had ever had an oil change and 10,000 miles kicked in the upper limit. I bought Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-30 full synthetic, the oil filter from the dealer and changed the oil myself saving a sample for a Blackstone Labs analysis that I sent off the next day.

The dealer called again the week after, I indicated that I had taken care of the oil change myself but while I had them on the phone I had them pull up the records of the service they performed on it when they received the truck in 09/2022. My FordPass App indicated service was done but there was no description. They had changed the oil, oil filter, rotated the tires, safety check, etc.

After my oil change it did not take long before the FordPass App started to calculate Oil Life percentage and miles to change, it was declining rapidly with less than 300 miles on the oil change. In addition to that the oil on the end of the dipstick smelled like fuel. I had received the Blackstone Labs results that were unremarkable but they indicated that the oil sample did have some fuel dilution and thinning.

I assembled my information including a screenshot of the FordPass information and dropped in on the Ford dealer's service department to discuss it with them. They put me off for a week so they could get a "Master Technician" to work on it. Before I dropped it off I bought another (7) quarts of Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5W-30 full synthetic with instructions to use that IF, (stress on IF), it needed another change use that.

By the time I dropped it off with about 300 miles on the oil change the FordPass App "Oil Life" was indicating 88% and 2,200 miles to the next change.

The Technician called me and said that they had pulled a sample and found nothing wrong with it but they changed the oil anyways using what I had provided, (another $55.00 pissed away). They also indicated, (paraphrased), "Whoever did the last oil change probably didn't reset it or reset it right". I told him that I was the one that changed the oil and reset the oil counter that was easier to do than my wife's Ford Escape. He said that "sometimes it doesn't take the reset properly"...yeah right.

When I picked up my truck they had an invoice for the oil change labor, I was not happy and asked about the last oil change that they did before I took delivery of the truck and why it only lasted about 2,000 miles. The Service Advisor told me Ford recommends (5) months or 5,000 miles between changes whichever comes first. Now I am going from unhappy to pissed off and I asked, "You are telling me that oil be it synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional goes bad in (5) months sitting in the crankcase?". He said that is Ford's position so I asked him to show me as he was right in front of his computer. He spends about five+ minutes tapping away but can't find anything, I am not surprised. Then he produces one of the dealer's service handouts to support his position which actually indicates 5,000 miles or (6) months. I think that the (6) months thing is BS.

I have talked to a number of service facilities over the years and their position is every two years no matter how low the miles or hours are on the engine oil unless the storage conditions are for $#!+.

I paid the invoice telling the Service Advisor that once upon a time I had his job at a foreign car service facility so I understood that he was just doing his job but it is a piss poor reflection on the dealership.

Additionally, they tell me that they put a scratch mark on my dipstick and that I should stop back in 500 miles so they can "check it out". No appointment necessary. We know/I know what they are looking for...like the oil level going up.

This morning I start digging into this Ford 2.3L EcoBoost engine oil fuel dilution thing. Look what I found. It is the Ford SSM 50736, (similar or the same as a Ford TSB), right from the Ford site. I am going to send it off to the Service Advisor I was dealing with yesterday and thank him for sharing this with me...NOT!!!

What does your manual say about how often (in terms of miles and/or time) to change your oil?

Reactions: Doc

MrJ1s

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-Retired
So what is the problem? It looks to me like your truck is working within the parameters that Ford is saying are normal.
I guess you missed the part about the previous oil change lasting < 2,000 miles when the IOLM started displaying messages.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I guess you missed the part about the previous oil change lasting < 2,000 miles when the IOLM started displaying messages.
Could be reasonable, depending on how you use the truck. Could you post the UOA?

Reactions: Doc

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I had the same concern with my 22. Oil life done after 2500 miles and oil level had gone up on the stick with a really strong gas smell on the stick. Was told it's normal for these engines don't worry and follow the monitor recommendations. Glad I got the extended warranty for peace of mind.

I'm having an even worse problem with my new Kubota side by side. About 5 ounces of gas in the oil every 5 hours. Seems they have an even worse problem with the Subaru injection but luckily Kubota is now involved. I think these companies are hiring incompetent engineers nowadays and passing garbage on to unsuspecting buyers.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I had the same concern with my 22. Oil life done after 2500 miles and oil level had gone up on the stick with a really strong gas smell on the stick. Was told it's normal for these engines don't worry and follow the monitor recommendations. Glad I got the extended warranty for peace of mind.

I'm having an even worse problem with my new Kubota side by side. About 5 ounces of gas in the oil every 5 hours. Seems they have an even worse problem with the Subaru injection but luckily Kubota is now involved. I think these companies are hiring incompetent engineers nowadays and passing garbage on to unsuspecting buyers.
i dont know much about kubota products. is it using a direct injection setup ?

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger

Got exactly the same bs from dealer. Sales guys my family uses only dug that note out after he found out my parents wouldn’t be leasing fords anymore due to the issue with my truck and fords refusal to fix it. It’s all a bunch of bs, if it was true we should be able to use almost anything for oil. I try not to think about it and am aiming to get a tundra in under a year to avoid warranty issues. I try not to look at this thread because it actually makes me angry lol, but I’d thought I’d pop in today. Side note: it did not help my parents stay with ford. I was also told by multiple ford mechanics and techs that it is not right and if I could to avoid driving it.

Last edited:

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
i dont know much about kubota products. is it using a direct injection setup ?
No it is not. It's a high compression engine with a manifold injection setup I think. Not sure what they will do about it but seeing others with similar issues and also bogging from too much fuel in the midrange fouling plugs. I think it is a very crude system with no exhaust monitoring because the exhaust stinks of raw gas. Sucks after waiting 14 months to get it.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
No it is not. It's a high compression engine with a manifold injection setup I think. Not sure what they will do about it but seeing others with similar issues and also bogging from too much fuel in the midrange fouling plugs. I think it is a very crude system with no exhaust monitoring because the exhaust stinks of raw gas. Sucks after waiting 14 months to get it.
wow that is disappointing. i was under the impression that kubota made good stuff. a large kubota dealer is in my area so i see them all over. hope they get it fixed for you.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
thats sad to hear. I know when I was at the kubota dealership last summer getting a tractor the guys mentioned not being able to get any of the side by sides, especially the gas ones. He mentioned it was a probably a year and half out For having stock of them. I hope Kubota will fix this for ya. I know they have bought back tractors/repaired before due to severe issues Under warranty.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
wow that is disappointing. i was under the impression that kubota made good stuff. a large kubota dealer is in my area so i see them all over. hope they get it fixed for you.
I'm guessing pandemic quality has something to do with it. Kubota bought the Subaru tooling and mine is one of the first built by Kubota during the pandemic.
Sponsored