First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
EDIT: Solved. Ended up being a not-so-tight bolt connecting my new UCAs to the knuckle causing a clanking. It may have come loose after the initial install. Always check your bolts a few days later!

Hey all,

I recently got my Fox (not Ford) 2.0 stage 1 installed with Grimm UCAs. I had the coil overs adjusted to allow for 3” of lift. This weekend it was great, felt way better than stock and enjoyed riding around in the sunny weather. Come this week and it’s been rainy and my coil overs have started clanking. I mention the weather because I’ve read that it can cause some noise. I got the alignment done today and mentioned it at the shop and the guy said it’s because they’re brand new and need to be broken in which I’ve also read.

Anyone experienced this? Am I worrying too much?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: EJH

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Screw FX4
Hey all,

I recently got my Fox (not Ford) 2.0 stage 1 installed with Grimm UCAs. I had the coil overs adjusted to allow for 3” of lift. This weekend it was great, felt way better than stock and enjoyed riding around in the sunny weather. Come this week and it’s been rainy and my coil overs have started clanking. I mention the weather because I’ve read that it can cause some noise. I got the alignment done today and mentioned it at the shop and the guy said it’s because they’re brand new and need to be broken in which I’ve also read.

Anyone experienced this? Am I worrying too much?
Yes. My Fox 2.0s are overextended too and that noise you hear is them rubbing on the coil bucket or the springs binding. Lol. I emailed Fox and they said they're only supposed to go up 2.5" but that I could try a heavier spring. I haven't gotten around to getting the heavier spring yet. Bottom line...too much preload.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yes. My Fox 2.0s are overextended too and that noise you hear is them rubbing on the coil bucket or the springs binding. Lol. I emailed Fox and they said they're only supposed to go up 2.5" but that I could try a heavier spring. I haven't gotten around to getting the heavier spring yet. Bottom line...too much preload.
Then why do they advertise 0-3... that’s really annoying.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was blamed on having the extra weight of steel skids. Either way it's too much preload. You may be able to back it off a turn or two and be good.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also the higher you are the more stress on the CVs. Something else to consider. I'd measure the Wheelwell gap on the ground and then jack it up and remeasure to see how much droop you have. Mine is pretty pathetic and I'll probably lower it to 2.5" lift whenever I get the stiffer springs.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Also the higher you are the more stress on the CVs. Something else to consider. I'd measure the Wheelwell gap on the ground and then jack it up and remeasure to see how much droop you have. Mine is pretty pathetic and I'll probably lower it to 2.5" lift whenever I get the stiffer springs.
Yeah I may just lower it anyways

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah it doesn't make sense. Fox rep said that the non Ford coil overs are preloaded to 2.5" and to get to 3" I needed to move the collar down 1/4". Pretty disappointing that 1/4" makes them overextend especially since that's within their advertised specs.

Did they suggest a specific kind of stiffer springs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
UPDATE: So I took a look again today and really gave things a shake to try to find why my suspension was clanking. The key here was not yanking up and down but side-to-side.

It wasn’t an over extended spring, although that seemed most likely based off of other threads I ended up seeing. It was in fact the bolt on top of my new UCAs, not the big ass one in the back but the one connecting to the knuckle. It was loose just enough that a side-to-side motion would cause the clanking. I tightened it up, went on a long drive and didn’t hear a thing. I may loosen it up to apply more threadlock and tighten again. See how tomorrow goes.

So mine are adjusted to 3” of lift and now I don’t have any weird sounds or vibrations or motions.

Good luck @Sandman :/ hopefully yours isn’t the spring.

Sandman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: So I took a look again today and really gave things a shake to try to find why my suspension was clanking. The key here was not yanking up and down but side-to-side.

It wasn’t an over extended spring, although that seemed most likely based off of other threads I ended up seeing. It was in fact the bolt on top of my new UCAs, not the big ass one in the back but the one connecting to the knuckle. It was loose just enough that a side-to-side motion would cause the clanking. I tightened it up, went on a long drive and didn’t hear a thing. I may loosen it up to apply more threadlock and tighten again. See how tomorrow goes.

So mine are adjusted to 3” of lift and now I don’t have any weird sounds or vibrations or motions.

Good luck @Sandman :/ hopefully yours isn’t the spring.
I'm glad you got it sorted out so easily. Mine is definitely the spring. You can see the wear where it rubs.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm glad you got it sorted out so easily. Mine is definitely the spring. You can see the wear where it rubs.
Ah bummer :/ guess I got lucky
Sponsored