Forum Flaming

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We can always get back to talking politics. That never causes name calling and is always discussed in a civil and respectful manner. :devil:
And is probably the easiest way to get banned from the site permanently.... FYI
Advertisement

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Bullying - how do you do that through written text to a person you have never met and likely never will?
You, and I, are essentially describing cyber bullying, which is a very real thing that people deal with all the time. Just because you've never met in person doesn't mean you don't know a person. Those of us who have been on here for awhile and interacted multiple times on multiple subjects do know some things about each other. Not everything obviously, but certainly enough to hit where it hurts if desired.

Sexist, racist, homophobic - please provide examples because I have yet to see it.
For the most part, it's not malicious or directed at any individual forum member. Though I have seen that happen too, as I know others have. But rather used in common speak or in a trying to be funny way. People using things like "retard" and "gay" and those types of terms as insults. Things that were socially acceptable (but still wrong) in the past but are finally being called out as offensive. There is also a pretty clear misogynistic attitude around here.

Honestly I don't remember specifics, mostly because I don't want to. But one in particular that stands out was someone using racial and mental handicap slurs about Mexicans in regards to the Bronco Sport and Maverick being built in Mexico. I don't know if that post still exists, but I do know that there were some other members defending his words to those of us calling him out for it. All of them have been ignored by me so I don't see how many other bad things they say, since calling them out didn't do anything.

I'll just say that just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It isn't a rampant plague on the forum, but it is there in pockets.

Nationalist - I am proud to be an American and so are most other Americans. No apologies.
Nationalist isn't necessarily the right word, but I couldn't think of a better term. What I was trying to convey was the act of looking down on other countries, the idea that other countries are inferior with inferior people. The "holier than thou" attitude. Similar to racism. Specifically I see a lot of demeaning comments about Mexicans and Asians. Usually in the context of where a vehicle/product is built and/or designed.

You're lower tolerance - You're problem not ours.
Yes and no. My level of tolerance for hateful speech may be my problem. But at the same time, at a certain point, people have to take responsibility for their actions and their words and how they affect other people. Know that what you say can, and likely will, affect someone else. Whether or not you care about that is up to you.

Chunk of society this forum represents - please explain that. I see a group of people from all sorts of backgrounds and locales with a common enjoyment of their Rangers. We aren't some sort of sub-group of Society.
That's essentially what I meant. That this group is a cross-section of society. There's a little bit of everything, even the bad/hateful people. Again, maybe my wording choice was the issue, but that's what I meant.

TBR17

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Great examples of sexism, misogynism, racism, bullying, and nationalism can all be found while watching a marathon of The Office or South Park on Comedy Central. Comedy is great and we are all different which renders us funny for one reason or another. It's a shame people are so uptight today. Live, laugh, love, and make fun of funny shit. Just keep in mind you'll likely be the funny shit someone else makes fun of.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
When I was growing up....
These "Words of Wisdom" were carved on our cave wall:

"Sticks & Stones may break my bones.... But WORDS will NEVER hurt Me"
and....
"If you don't have something NICE to say.... Don't say ANYTHING"

Seems pretty relevant today and has served me well so far!
Cheers!
🙏

PS.... I think this forum is GREAT!!!!

Last edited:

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
My grandmother, (best person that ever drew breath) had a plaque that hung on her wall that said
"be careful of the words you say, keep them soft and sweet,
you never know from day to day the ones you'll have to eat."
that has stuck in my head since i was a little boy, i am still an ass hat at times, but i still remember that saying, just need to follow its advice more often lol.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
My other car is a hearse.
I say...Don’t be quick to offend, but also, don’t be quick to be offended.
That, plus my rule is I don't say anything to anyone online that I wouldn't say to their face.
And I ignore idiots because they're not worth my time. Got better things to do.

CHS

First Name
chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I noticed the more a person postings the worse they get. Especially with those in the thousands.

Advertisement

Advertisement