First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I'm definitely with you OP. I probably spend about 10% of the time that I used to on this forum, and even less actually interacting and commenting.
I do get upset by the childish name calling and bullying.
And also the ignorance and unwillingness to learn and grow.
But even more so the sexist, racist, homophobic, nationalist, and all out violent comments I see all too prevalent. Not only on here, but in society. I just get so upset and frustrated that those types of people still exist. Sure, maybe this forum is a little more civil than other forums, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better, that I don't wish it was better. And I'm sure I have a lower tolerance for that type of behavior.

Really I'm not upset by this forum, I'm upset about the chunk of society this forum represents. It reminds me that there are still bad people out there in the world.
Childish name calling - check, but they are just words on a screen. And generally not name calling so much as insults and criticisms.
Bullying - how do you do that through written text to a person you have never met and likely never will?
Sexist, racist, homophobic - please provide examples because I have yet to see it.
Nationalist - I am proud to be an American and so are most other Americans. No apologies.
You're lower tolerance - You're problem not ours.
Chunk of society this forum represents - please explain that. I see a group of people from all sorts of backgrounds and locales with a common enjoyment of their Rangers. We aren't some sort of sub-group of Society.
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my take on it. Depending on your personality you read and interpret things your own way. You inject the tone and possibly mannerisms into what you read.

Now the OP might be trying to project their view differently than the way you interpret their post.

Take a step back, reread it again and think it through with a different tone.

99% of the time it’s on you. Just sayin!

Grandma’s old advise
1623006204980.png

:crazy::giggle::angel::turkey::bandit:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Like every forum I've ever been on there are going to be people that get on your nerves. Some are possibly living a life on the Internet that is not what they are like at all in real life. It is easy to be a snarky bad ass when you are separated from the person you are replying to by an Internet connection. On the flip side, the nicest forum member might be a total psychopath in real life. The Internet allows people to invent what ever character the person wants to be, good or bad.

That's the thing, unless you meet or talk to the person in real life you never really know who they are. The most snarky forum member might be a really cool person in real life and the member that is always very helpful might be a total jackass in real life. So I try not to judge people on their posts. It's easy enough to scroll past the BS for me.

My take is that on message boards and social media, there are a lot of things said that the person saying it would never say to someone in person. It is what it is. I like this message board and appreciate all the members that post here even if I don't always agree with what they post. At the end of the day I don't go to bed thinking about what someone posts on some message board that annoys me. In the big picture it has zero affect on my real life.

With all that said and rambling here, I do think maybe people should pause before they click the post button. Remember that it is actually a real person they are responding to and not just pixels on a screen.

Last edited:

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
I have a hard time in real life not dropping f-bombs. 30+ years on a construction site and it becomes second nature to you. My gf use to think I was bad then one day we we on the phone while I was at work and she heard the GC talking. I sound like Mother Teresa compared to him. :shock:

I've got much better now that I'm away from the site but I do still tend to drop a few here n there but she so gracefully reminds me. I've seen a few posts here where I've had to shake my head but nothing real bad and I've never seen any of the sexist, racist, or homophobic posts Matt was referring to but luckily I must of missed them or just blocked them out.
Yeah i can relate to that after working construction about the same many years as you have Dave the cussing was something else, my dad worked it his whole life so I learned from the best he was the cuss king lol.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I have a hard time in real life not dropping f-bombs. 30+ years on a construction site and it becomes second nature to you. My gf use to think I was bad then one day we we on the phone while I was at work and she heard the GC talking. I sound like Mother Teresa compared to him. :shock:

I've got much better now that I'm away from the site but I do still tend to drop a few here n there but she so gracefully reminds me. I've seen a few posts here where I've had to shake my head but nothing real bad and I've never seen any of the sexist, racist, or homophobic posts Matt was referring to but luckily I must of missed them or just blocked them out.
Yeah i can relate to that after working construction about the same many years as you have Dave the cussing was something else, my dad worked it his whole life so I learned from the best he was the cuss king lol.
Yeah, F-bombing was second nature from Navy days, learned to stop that by "accidently" dropping one in front of my 2 year old daughter driving on way home for weekend Liberty call one time...were visiting parents...daughter was walking around saying F U and my wife was busy saying that she was saying Thank You!!! :angel: Long weekend that!!! :blush:

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yeah, F-bombing was second nature from Navy days, learned to stop that by "accidently" dropping one in front of my 2 year old daughter driving on way home for weekend Liberty call one time...were visiting parents...daughter was walking around saying F U and my wife was busy saying that she was saying Thank You!!! :angel: Long weekend that!!! :blush:
I had the same problem when I got out of the Air Force. The F word was used as a noun, verb, adjective, and adverb and sometimes used more than once in the same sentence as part of the way we communicated. When I went home my family had a big welcome party for me including my grandmother in her late 80's. They made a huge meal and the first thing I said was, "That looks f'ing amazing." My mom looked shocked but my grandmother laughed about it.

Took me a good year or so to cut down on the language especially in mixed company. :)

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We can always get back to talking politics. That never causes name calling and is always discussed in a civil and respectful manner. :devil:
And is probably the easiest way to get banned from the site permanently.... FYI

Deleted member 1634

Bullying - how do you do that through written text to a person you have never met and likely never will?
You, and I, are essentially describing cyber bullying, which is a very real thing that people deal with all the time. Just because you've never met in person doesn't mean you don't know a person. Those of us who have been on here for awhile and interacted multiple times on multiple subjects do know some things about each other. Not everything obviously, but certainly enough to hit where it hurts if desired.

Sexist, racist, homophobic - please provide examples because I have yet to see it.
For the most part, it's not malicious or directed at any individual forum member. Though I have seen that happen too, as I know others have. But rather used in common speak or in a trying to be funny way. People using things like "retard" and "gay" and those types of terms as insults. Things that were socially acceptable (but still wrong) in the past but are finally being called out as offensive. There is also a pretty clear misogynistic attitude around here.

Honestly I don't remember specifics, mostly because I don't want to. But one in particular that stands out was someone using racial and mental handicap slurs about Mexicans in regards to the Bronco Sport and Maverick being built in Mexico. I don't know if that post still exists, but I do know that there were some other members defending his words to those of us calling him out for it. All of them have been ignored by me so I don't see how many other bad things they say, since calling them out didn't do anything.

I'll just say that just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It isn't a rampant plague on the forum, but it is there in pockets.

Nationalist - I am proud to be an American and so are most other Americans. No apologies.
Nationalist isn't necessarily the right word, but I couldn't think of a better term. What I was trying to convey was the act of looking down on other countries, the idea that other countries are inferior with inferior people. The "holier than thou" attitude. Similar to racism. Specifically I see a lot of demeaning comments about Mexicans and Asians. Usually in the context of where a vehicle/product is built and/or designed.

You're lower tolerance - You're problem not ours.
Yes and no. My level of tolerance for hateful speech may be my problem. But at the same time, at a certain point, people have to take responsibility for their actions and their words and how they affect other people. Know that what you say can, and likely will, affect someone else. Whether or not you care about that is up to you.

Chunk of society this forum represents - please explain that. I see a group of people from all sorts of backgrounds and locales with a common enjoyment of their Rangers. We aren't some sort of sub-group of Society.
That's essentially what I meant. That this group is a cross-section of society. There's a little bit of everything, even the bad/hateful people. Again, maybe my wording choice was the issue, but that's what I meant.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Great examples of sexism, misogynism, racism, bullying, and nationalism can all be found while watching a marathon of The Office or South Park on Comedy Central. Comedy is great and we are all different which renders us funny for one reason or another. It's a shame people are so uptight today. Live, laugh, love, and make fun of funny shit. Just keep in mind you'll likely be the funny shit someone else makes fun of.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
When I was growing up....
These "Words of Wisdom" were carved on our cave wall:

"Sticks & Stones may break my bones.... But WORDS will NEVER hurt Me"
and....
"If you don't have something NICE to say.... Don't say ANYTHING"

Seems pretty relevant today and has served me well so far!
Cheers!
?

PS.... I think this forum is GREAT!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited: