Ford's Next Ranger Raptor Will Have The Perfect Engine

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I’m really curious about how much it will weigh and gas mileage.

Damn, do we really have to wait a whole year to get actual specs?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
3.0 seems a bit much. I see 2.7L more. 400hp small truck, they will roll it on the road. They also need VW to help program the transmission.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Here’s a thought someone on another forum mentioned. What if the next gen Ranger comes standard with the 2.7? To compete and one up GM. And the Raptor gets the ‘high output’ 3.0 variant. Possible? Or is it confirmed they’re sticking with the 2.3?

This would allow the Ford maverick to have the 2.3 ecoboost on the sport or upper trim level.
Possible ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Actually what they put in it is a bit more complex than just oh we’re going to put a 3.0 in it.

EPA has all manufacturers under the thumb for total fleet mileage numbers. From bottom to top all combined to be within guidelines or heavy fines. So they may want to put a 3.0 in but will that still allow them to hit target or go lower to 2.3 or 2.7 to make the passing grades.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Here’s a thought someone on another forum mentioned. What if the next gen Ranger comes standard with the 2.7? To compete and one up GM. And the Raptor gets the ‘high output’ 3.0 variant. Possible? Or is it confirmed they’re sticking with the 2.3?

This would allow the Ford maverick to have the 2.3 ecoboost on the sport or upper trim level.
Possible ?
Doubtful if you ask me. If they made any change it would be to add 2.7 as an option on regular Ranger trims on XLT and up. Then the 3.0 would be raptor only. If the raptor gets the 2.7 I wouldn’t think anything but the 2.3 makes it into the regular ranger. Wouldn’t make the Raptor distinguishable enough from the regular line up to share a power train unless it was a special version of the 2.7 or something.

My main concern with the 6g is thinking it’s going to be a bigger truck. It really is good right where it’s at size wise in my opinion.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Doubtful if you ask me. If they made any change it would be to add 2.7 as an option on regular Ranger trims on XLT and up. Then the 3.0 would be raptor only. If the raptor gets the 2.7 I wouldn’t think anything but the 2.3 makes it into the regular ranger. Wouldn’t make the Raptor distinguishable enough from the regular line up to share a power train unless it was a special version of the 2.7 or something.

My main concern with the 6g is thinking it’s going to be a bigger truck. It really is good right where it’s at size wise in my opinion.
This seems like a realistic possibility. You would think this would be the case, because GM’s 2.7 is a fantastic engine and makes more horsepower and torque than Ford’s 2.3. However, if Ford offers the 2.7 as an option they wouldn’t be beat out.

Reliability unknown, but I test drove a GM 2.7 this weekend and it was fantastic. It’s going to move the Colorado with gusto and likely get better gas mileage (which is already respectable in the Silverado) with the reduced weight.

Yes, I’m hoping the Ranger stays the same size too. I very much doubt it though.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
This makes sense to me. They can’t have the Ranger PHEV (362 HP and 501lb-ft torque) beating the Raptor in both HP and torque. As it is, the PHEV will still have more torque than any other Ranger power train.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
2.7 turbo In the raptor but also lighter the Ranger and Raptor.
I would take a 200lb loss. 2.3L Ranger is good. Tune it and you are 300+. Add 200lbs less weight and you now have a nimble truck. With the economy coming I think caution will be on order for auto companies. Gas going up and larger engines normally do not mix.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This makes sense to me. They can’t have the Ranger PHEV (362 HP and 501lb-ft torque) beating the Raptor in both HP and torque. As it is, the PHEV will still have more torque than any other Ranger power train.
2.7 turbo In the raptor but also lighter the Ranger and Raptor.
I would take a 200lb loss. 2.3L Ranger is good. Tune it and you are 300+. Add 200lbs less weight a d you now have a nimble truck. With the economy coming I think caution will be on order for auto companies. Gas going up and larger engines normally do not mix.
Hi Pete,

Do not forget weigh reduction applies to the driver as well.... :) :rolleyes::)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hi Pete,

Do not forget weigh reduction applies to the driver as well.... :) :rolleyes::)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Gotcha on that one.
At 56 my weight is what it was in College. Little less muscle and more body mass. Ford can add more aluminum and high strength steel as in the F150. 4,000 would be nice. I know weight helps towing and the Ranger is solid but a little less weight helps mpg and driving feel.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I think it's pretty likely they're going to pork up the front of the ranger to fit in the bigger engine, and kill visibility over the hood.
Sponsored