First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Anti-Seize and for engines go together like peanut butter and jelly in all Ford designed engines. PB Blast is also a tool box item if you own a Ford, sad to say that these are poorly designed as it pertains to the dissembler metals they use in their engines, that was the problem with the 5.4. I would soak the plugs in my 5.4 with PB Blast and run the engine for about 15 minutes and they would come out without to much of an issue. Sorry this happened and now it is on my mind so I will be pulling my plugs just to clean, coat and re-install. Ford is having a rough time right not and they just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
off topic but saw in your profile you worked on the Tomcats. That is awesome. As a kid I thought the f14 was THE jet fighter. Big powerfull bus with twin engines and the sweeping wings, every kid in my class wanted to an f14 jockey lol. Thanks for serving!
Sponsored

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Anti-Seize and for engines go together like peanut butter and jelly in all Ford designed engines. PB Blast is also a tool box item if you own a Ford, sad to say that these are poorly designed as it pertains to the dissembler metals they use in their engines, that was the problem with the 5.4. I would soak the plugs in my 5.4 with PB Blast and run the engine for about 15 minutes and they would come out without to much of an issue. Sorry this happened and now it is on my mind so I will be pulling my plugs just to clean, coat and re-install. Ford is having a rough time right not and they just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
You shouldn't have an issue unless you get water in the spark plug wells in the cylinder head. That is what is causing the seized spark plugs in the Ranger. The water is also causing misfiring. The engine cover is supposed to prevent rainwater from reaching the head. There is a TSB on that issue.

Last edited:

Milton Lee

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lariat 4X2
Occupation
Retired USN F14 Tomcat fixer
You shouldn't have an issue unless you get water in the spark plug wells in the cylinder head. That is what is causing the seized spark plugs in the Ranger. The water is also causing misfiring. The engine cover is supposed to prevent rainwater from reaching the head. There is a TSB on that issue.
Oh I agree. I learned a lesson and never expected that a new truck would have the same issues and it is the same issue. I'm sorry that this happened to you. A engine in a truck or car should never have a problem such as this.
I wish you the best with your new truck.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Name another engine manufacture that doesn't use Aluminum heads on a steal block.

BTW, it is my understanding that the 2.3L EcoBoost is all Aluminum, so I don't understand "these are poorly designed as it pertains to the dissembler metals they use in their engines"

2.3 EcoBoost Technical Engine Specifications
Engine2.3 L EcoBoost
Model Years2015–Present
Displacement2.3 L (2,253 cc)
ConfigurationInline-4
AspirationTwin-Scroll Turbo
Compression9.5:1
Head/ Block MaterialAluminum
Bore & Stroke87.5mm x 94mm
Fuel SystemDirect Injection
Valve Train16V DOHC (4 v/cy)
Horsepower Output270-350 horsepower
Torque Output305-350 lb-ft of torque

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
BTW, it is my understanding that the 2.3L EcoBoost is all Aluminum, so I don't understand "these are poorly designed as it pertains to the dissembler metals they use in their engines"

I believe that he is referring to the steel spark plug threads and the aluminum head. But I wouldn't consider it a poor design. As you state, most engines are using aluminum heads.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I believe that he is referring to the steel spark plug threads and the aluminum head. But I wouldn't consider it a poor design. As you state, most engines are using aluminum heads.
That's may be it, but what are the options? Aluminum spark plugs? Not a chance.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
ALL manufacturers have been using steel plugs in aluminum heads for a long time. So, I wouldn't call this out as a Ford only issue. Only thing possibly poorly designed is the control of water getting into the engine compartment. The TSB to add the engine cover is strickly Fords way of appeasing customers. This is probably a bigger issue for people who park outside. This not to pick on those people, as every vehicle is parked out in the rain at one time or another. Just a bigger issue.

That said, anti-seize, regular checking is possibly the best preventative. @NotBudule solution is the best solution I've seen to divert the water to a safer place.

EAC83

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
This problem is 100% on Ford . I own a 21’ tremor XLT and read up on this problem not long after my purchase . I would advise any owner of the 2019-2023 ranger all models to open their hood, take a cup of water and pour it down the center of the front windshield and onto the black plastic piece at the top of the firewall observing the top of the engine . Its a two piece design that joins in the center . Where it joins is where the water will leak, straight down on top of the rear of the engine. Which then gets into the spark plug holes causing the plugs to rust and seize . This is a manufacturing defect . I tested mine and sure enough it leaked onto the engine . I repaired mine myself with some black silicone and flex tape. Luckily I found out about this problem shortly after buying the truck and no damage was done . Hope this helps someone .

Milton Lee

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lariat 4X2
Occupation
Retired USN F14 Tomcat fixer
Name another engine manufacture that doesn't use Aluminum heads on a steal block.

2.3 EcoBoost Technical Engine Specifications
Engine2.3 L EcoBoost
Model Years2015–Present
Displacement2.3 L (2,253 cc)
ConfigurationInline-4
AspirationTwin-Scroll Turbo
Compression9.5:1
Head/ Block MaterialAluminum
Bore & Stroke87.5mm x 94mm
Fuel SystemDirect Injection
Valve Train16V DOHC (4 v/cy)
Horsepower Output270-350 horsepower
Torque Output305-350 lb-ft of torque
Dissimilar metal is the issue, zinc played spark plugs are supposed to help this problem. Yes the Rangers 2.3 is an all aluminum engine with steel plugs, there in lies the problem. If protected from water intrusion was designed into this engine it would not be the issue of has become. These glitches in design are eating at Ford base customers, these trucks are really popular, but these costly issues will drive away these loyal customers. They will look for a midsize truck that takes care of these issues up front and not make excuses. I'm a Ford guy, driven Ford's for over 50 years, I've put up with many issues, giving Ford the benefit of doubt on these issues. Now with 40, 50 and 60,000 dollar trucks and high repair cost, failures at 30 or 40000 miles, time for Ford to rethink design and development. This engine is a great engine, just need some serious tweaking, a 4 cylinder making V8 power, just fix the next generation of this engine, they have the data to do it. RCM or reliability centered maintenance, well known process to fix design defects and or reliability issues. Ranger, sharp truck, I still love mine but will do the preventative measures to ensure a long life. Just a venting, sorry.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Dissimilar metal is the issue, zinc played spark plugs are supposed to help this problem. Yes the Rangers 2.3 is an all aluminum engine with steel plugs, there in lies the problem. If protected from water intrusion was designed into this engine it would not be the issue of has become. These glitches in design are eating at Ford base customers, these trucks are really popular, but these costly issues will drive away these loyal customers. They will look for a midsize truck that takes care of these issues up front and not make excuses. I'm a Ford guy, driven Ford's for over 50 years, I've put up with many issues, giving Ford the benefit of doubt on these issues. Now with 40, 50 and 60,000 dollar trucks and high repair cost, failures at 30 or 40000 miles, time for Ford to rethink design and development. This engine is a great engine, just need some serious tweaking, a 4 cylinder making V8 power, just fix the next generation of this engine, they have the data to do it. RCM or reliability centered maintenance, well known process to fix design defects and or reliability issues. Ranger, sharp truck, I still love mine but will do the preventative measures to ensure a long life. Just a venting, sorry.
I think that you are missing the point, that it is not an engine design problem. Almost all of today's engines are aluminum heads with steel spark plugs. The problem some people are having is that water is getting onto the top of the head and pooling in a spark plug well, causing corrosion and misfiring. What is needed is to keep rainwater from dripping from the cowl onto the engine. A TSB addresses this with an added engine cover for those whose trucks came without one. Some on here have sealed part of the cowl to prevent the water from flowing directly onto the engine.

Not everyone is having this problem, so I don't think it is as widespread as you might think.

Attachments

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yes, you are correct. But the NA Ranger is just a filler until the 6G comes out next May. Unfortunately for us, Ford isn't going to take the time or money to redesign the NA 5G. As RangerBill stated, the design flaw is in the cowl, not the engine. What Ford is failing to understand is that if someone gets burned on the 5G, they have little confidence in the 6G. I for one would never buy a first-year design. And although 6G is available overseas, we don't know the changes that will be made for the NA Ranger.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Just wondering....without water there is no galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals. How is the water getting past the plugs tapered seat? ?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
hit a swarm of bugs on the interstate today. used the windshield wash sprayer. 30 miles later, misfire check engine light... guess i washed my windshield too much. thanks ford.
jk. but may as well be if we can wash one too much

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
amazes me they won't pay for it. A simple dab of 'Anti Seize' would of solved the problem. It is a dielectric steel - aluminum problem. I think you'd win any suit. Can't say that for arbitration, they're a bunch of paid for whores. Talk to a Class action auto law firm, maybe pay for a letter. Scrunch their little Blue Oval up with fright.
Sponsored

Last edited: