Ford Ranger Sales Doubled in Q2; Ford Second Quarter Total Pickup Sales Strongest In 15 Years

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine is my favorite vehicle I've ever gotten and I've had several over the years, but it is going up against tough competition particularly with Tacoma that people just expect to be satisfied with and do little cross shopping. I also wonder how many buyers are turned off by the 4 cylinder engine? Those of us that own a Ranger know it's a powerful little beast under the hood, but how many buyers don't trust the EcoBoost technology long term? There will eventually most likely be a V6, but all signs point to it being a 2.7 EcoBoost. Are there so many people out there that do not trust an EcoBoost long term that they need to also offer their NA 3.3L V6 to really get these things selling?

It's still a new model and will take time and cash on the hood to get it moving. It's not a good thing that June appears slightly down from May, but maybe increased marketing and promotion would help in the coming months.
I just think the existing Ranger needs more exposure for sales to ramp up. There are always going to be detractors (Ford v Chevy v Toyota, etc), and those who dislike EB engines but the F150 has EB engines and it sells quite well. The 4 banger probably is a turn off to some (and we've witnessed that first hand in this forum) but one test drive would allay concerns for most folks I think.

I've owned a bunch of new Fords (starting with a 1976 Mustang II) but the 2019 Ranger is far and away my favorite Ford. It's a great truck that's a blast to drive and as more folks learn this sales will increase.
Sponsored

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
And the amount of continued investment by Ford into the Ranger in that 2007-2011 time range? Zero. Sure - you can throttle production, but that's not good. Ford has a ton of investment in any product, the capital investment cost of the plant, the opportunity cost of building something else in that factory, the product development costs to bring it to market, and I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of at this point. When you scale back production by working 32 hours or whatnot, you're screwing yourself. I don't know the full details on the UAW contract, but my understanding if that if you send the guys home early, you still pay like 60% of their salary for the time they didn't work. You also have a facility that's idle for a ton of time. Which means you're not making money on that facility. Things like that lead to either the facility getting a new product (kinda like how the Ranger replaced the not-so-hot selling Focus) or getting shut down (kinda like Twin Cities when the Ranger exited the market).

Sure - that's not going to affect Ford's decision for MY19, or MY20. But it might have them pull the plug on the MY21 or 22 or whenever the new one is coming. More realistically, it might make them reconsider what is in scope for the new one... Perhaps they have to adjust their projections, and now all of a sudden a 2.7L Ecoboost doesn't make sense. Or a Sunroof... Or a Platinum trim. Or whatever bells and whistles that I would have otherwise been excited for, but due to slack sales, were cut from the program before it became common knowledge of what all the content is.

Which is why I am concerned about the success of the MY19 Ranger (and MY20, etc), even though I already have my MY19 and am happy with it. I want to be even happier with my MY24 Ranger because I'm not going to lie - there were quite a few compromises I made when I decided to get a Ranger over an F-150, and yes, I acknowledge that I made those compromises, but perhaps if the MY19/20 do well, then when I go to replace my current Ranger, I don't have to make as many compromises.
Michigan Assembly will also be producing the new Bronco. Since the Bronco and Ranger share the T6 platform and will be built on the same line I'd say the Ranger continuing production for many years to come is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Now if the Bronco fairs poorly in the market and the Ranger never really takes off then some time in the late 2020's everything could be cancelled. It's a lot of unknowns at this point and you can't draw any conclusions about the life of a product in 6 months.

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't exp[ect Ranger to do a whole lot better. I seriously believe Ford has not educated the public on the 4-cylinder Turbo. I have to admit I too was not enthusiastic about having a turbo engine. For some reason, I did not think they would be trouble-free. Having come from Tacoma.

I had to test drive the Ranger to be convinced it had a strong engine. I believe most 4-cylinder engine Tacoma buyers or owners will not test drive anything else. Until Ford to educates the public regarding that 4-cylinder being a lot better than Tacoma 6 cylinder, sales will be weaker than expected.

After the Rangers been out for a year or two it will have a track record with the general public I think it will actually sell better. All in all we read a lot about the strong engine in the reviews of the Ranger but I don't think that's enough to convince a whole lot of people.

Being a little Nostradamus here, I predict Tacoma will get a turbo. But it will have to be a V6. I just don't see a lot of Tacoma Buyers heading for any 4 cylinder engine except their own. Most of the buyers coming for the Rangers seem to be coming from Ford products that are not afraid of the turbo because they already know what a turbo can do and reliability counts.

I don't believe the range will be discontinued by any stretch of the imagination. Like its previous rendition, it will take time but I believe it will overtake Chevy, and could even make the Tacoma brass a little nervous.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't exp[ect Ranger to do a whole lot better. I seriously believe Ford has not educated the public on the 4-cylinder Turbo. I have to admit I too was not enthusiastic about having a turbo engine. For some reason, I did not think they would be trouble-free. Having come from Tacoma.

I had to test drive the Ranger to be convinced it had a strong engine. I believe most 4-cylinder engine Tacoma buyers or owners will not test drive anything else. Until Ford to educates the public regarding that 4-cylinder being a lot better than Tacoma 6 cylinder, sales will be weaker than expected.

After the Rangers been out for a year or two it will have a track record with the general public I think it will actually sell better. All in all we read a lot about the strong engine in the reviews of the Ranger but I don't think that's enough to convince a whole lot of people.

Being a little Nostradamus here, I predict Tacoma will get a turbo. But it will have to be a V6. I just don't see a lot of Tacoma Buyers heading for any 4 cylinder engine except their own. Most of the buyers coming for the Rangers seem to be coming from Ford products that are not afraid of the turbo because they already know what a turbo can do and reliability counts.

I don't believe the range will be discontinued by any stretch of the imagination. Like its previous rendition, it will take time but I believe it will overtake Chevy, and could even make the Tacoma brass a little nervous.
Ford has to address the fit and finish issues. A person interested in a Ranger peeking here and seeing fit and finish issues will go with the Tacoma.
The Tacoma may have had some mechanical issues in the '16 but fit and finish is rarely, if ever an issue.

I'd like to add my MKC has no fit and finish issues and no TSBs, recalls or warranty visits in 7 months 5K miles which is shocking to me.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
and least Ranger sales finally beat the Frontier by around 40 units. :)
The Ranger beat the Frontier in April, May, and June sales. And yet for some reason people keep claiming that the Frontier is outselling the Ranger.

Truckguy

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger
The Ranger beat the Frontier in April, May, and June sales. And yet for some reason people keep claiming that the Frontier is outselling the Ranger.
Year to date it is though

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the amount of continued investment by Ford into the Ranger in that 2007-2011 time range? Zero. Sure - you can throttle production, but that's not good. Ford has a ton of investment in any product, the capital investment cost of the plant, the opportunity cost of building something else in that factory, the product development costs to bring it to market, and I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of at this point. When you scale back production by working 32 hours or whatnot, you're screwing yourself. I don't know the full details on the UAW contract, but my understanding if that if you send the guys home early, you still pay like 60% of their salary for the time they didn't work. You also have a facility that's idle for a ton of time.
They're still running overtime shifts. They can drop the overtime very easily and with much less drama than you're suggesting. They have not decided that doing so is necessary, which very strongly suggests that they're happy with how things are going. Looking forward they probably will cut back as production ends for the year, but they're already scheduled into August...

Sure - that's not going to affect Ford's decision for MY19, or MY20. But it might have them pull the plug on the MY21 or 22 or whenever the new one is coming.
No way--it's on a shared platform with the Bronco and they've already spent most of the development money. As I said before, we're way past the point that Ford will cut the Ranger in the next few years. They're selling more than enough to make money at a plant that's selling multiple models built on a shared platform. Now if Ranger and Bronco sales both tank in 5 years, I wouldn't expect to see another refresh after that, but making projections that far out based on monthly sales numbers is nuts.

Perhaps they have to adjust their projections, and now all of a sudden a 2.7L Ecoboost doesn't make sense. Or a Sunroof...
The 2.7 already doesn't make sense and THANK GOD they're not shoving a sunroof down my throat. :p

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Year to date it is though
And over two years it's way outselling the Ranger. And the five year numbers are flat out embarrassing. But I think if you count 25 year numbers, the Ranger is still ahead. (See how meaningless apples-to-oranges comparisons are, and how picking arbitrary ranges lets a person make any argument?)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has to address the fit and finish issues. A person interested in a Ranger peeking here and seeing fit and finish issues will go with the Tacoma.
The Tacoma may have had some mechanical issues in the '16 but fit and finish is rarely, if ever an issue.

I'd like to add my MKC has no fit and finish issues and no TSBs, recalls or warranty visits in 7 months 5K miles which is shocking to me.
I think those fit and finish issues are only for the first few months of production. They'll get a lot better with everything as a make more trucks

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think those fit and finish issues are only for the first few months of production. They'll get a lot better with everything as a make more trucks
That's an excuse but if it makes you feel good....:like::)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's an excuse but if it makes you feel good....:like::)
Yeah it does make me feel good

. I am pretty sure the more they build the better they will be at it. I am also sure they are getting dinged on fit and finish on the JD Power and ISPO surveys (at least thats what I ticked off).

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has to address the fit and finish issues
There maybe some fit and finish issues but all the Rangers I've looked at and my made in March Shadow Black Ranger has no problem right down to excellent black paint.
Sponsored