Ford Ranger Sales Doubled in Q2; Ford Second Quarter Total Pickup Sales Strongest In 15 Years

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was one who was going to buy a Tacoma and switched to a ranger last month. The Ranger is a great truck that if cross shopped will do well. Of course you guys know that
I was also going to buy a Tacoma.
Sponsored

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I went from Gladiator to Ram to Ford or Chevy. The Ranger won out. Toyota or Nissan were never a consideration.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger Q2 sales are in at 20,880, for a monthly average of 6,960 - still lower than the Frontier =/. For reference, I calculated that the plant with the single shift that they have, should be producing 12,900 monthly, so we're only at about 50% of the predicted volume. I'm still a bit confused by the "heavy OT" at the plant compared to the monthly sales volume.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger Q2 sales are in at 20,880, for a monthly average of 6,960 - still lower than the Frontier =/. For reference, I calculated that the plant with the single shift that they have, should be producing 12,900 monthly, so we're only at about 50% of the predicted volume. I'm still a bit confused by the "heavy OT" at the plant compared to the monthly sales volume.
what is so confusing? Ford did not start full production until what, February or March of 2019? They are months behind the other manufacturers who started full production at the end of 2018.

20K is a great number for the Ranger.

They will be market leader soon.

If GM was "not concerned". They sure as hell are now.

And I think I heard a "ruh oh" from toyota

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
what is so confusing? Ford did not start full production until what, February or March of 2019? They are months behind the other manufacturers who started full production at the end of 2018.

20K is a great number for the Ranger.

They outsold EVERYONE in June.

They will be market leader soon.

If GM was "not concerned". They sure as hell are now.
If you look at the trend, every month the numbers are increasing.

April was 5748
May way 7748
June was 9384

So it is a slow ramp up in sales, kind of like the slow ramp up in production since this is the first model year and it was a new plant (well, re-tooled for the Ranger).

While I was thinking it would be slightly more (10k), I don't think Ford should be unhappy with those numbers. They seem very respectable to me.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what is so confusing? Ford did not start full production until what, February or March of 2019? They are months behind the other manufacturers who started full production at the end of 2018. 20K is a great number for the Ranger.
What's confusing is that with their statement of heavy OT... Though I suppose I don't know if that's still accurate. I'm assuming 50hr/week of assembly, and at 60sec rate, they should be building 600/day, or 12,900 a month. They've been doing that since February, and have been selling ~7k/mo since then. So Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun the dealerships have accumulated 25k on inventory. Which means at 7k/mo sales, that there's approximately 107 days of inventory on the lots. It also means that the average dealer has just over 8 Rangers on the lot, and in the month of June, sold 2 each.

To top all of that, there are still basically no incentives on the Rangers. Which is the confusing part. That means either 6 months into production, Ford needs continued OT to produce the 7k/mo, indicating that the assembly plant is running at like 60% line speed... which isn't good. Or it means that Ford wants to continue stocking their dealerships, even though there's already 107 days of inventory, to a industry standard target of 75 days... So that doesn't really make sense.

In summary, I'm confused by the lack of incentives to boost the sales which seem low compared to what they should be turning out.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

April was 5748
May way 7748
June was 9384

So it is a slow ramp up in sales, kind of like the slow ramp up in production since this is the first model year and it was a new plant (well, re-tooled for the Ranger).

While I was thinking it would be slightly more (10k), I don't think Ford should be unhappy with those numbers. They seem very respectable to me.
Where are you getting monthly sales? I'm only seeing Q2 results.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Ranger Q2 sales are in at 20,880, for a monthly average of 6,960 - still lower than the Frontier
I still think that worrying about sales is a waste of time, but if you're going to do it, at least do it right. Frontier sales for Apr+May+Jun were 4,258+7,497+7,346=19,101 while Ranger was 5,748+7,748+7,384=20,880. I really don't understand why people keep posting wrong and/or misleading figures about things that are easily calculated. (There's still some ambiguity about the ranger numbers because there's some different reporting out there. I expect it'll be cleared up soon, but in no way is it possibly lower than the Frontier.)

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's confusing is that with their statement of heavy OT... Though I suppose I don't know if that's still accurate. I'm assuming 50hr/week of assembly, and at 60sec rate, they should be building 600/day, or 12,900 a month. They've been doing that since February, and have been selling ~7k/mo since then. So Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun the dealerships have accumulated 25k on inventory. Which means at 7k/mo sales, that there's approximately 107 days of inventory on the lots. It also means that the average dealer has just over 8 Rangers on the lot, and in the month of June, sold 2 each.

To top all of that, there are still basically no incentives on the Rangers. Which is the confusing part. That means either 6 months into production, Ford needs continued OT to produce the 7k/mo, indicating that the assembly plant is running at like 60% line speed... which isn't good. Or it means that Ford wants to continue stocking their dealerships, even though there's already 107 days of inventory, to a industry standard target of 75 days... So that doesn't really make sense.

In summary, I'm confused by the lack of incentives to boost the sales which seem low compared to what they should be turning out.
What I've heard is that the daily production rate is approximately 500 now (not 600). It did not start that way - from what I heard there were days they did like 200-or less. Since this is an all new production line, they were trying to start slowly to minimize/eliminate quality issues. It sounds like they've been mostly successful by doing a slow ramp. They didn't get to 500 a day until March I think.

There are like what, 3000 dealers in the US? And I don't know what target inventory is for the dealers, but we are still hearing that some dealers have NONE. So it would appear they they are still building inventory at dealerships while selling some. Given the limited production they have at this point, to me it seems like they are doing really well. Sales month over month continue the slow ramp up, which is what I think they are looking for. If numbers hit a plateau or went down, I think they should be concerned, but that is not the trend at this point.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I still think that worrying about sales is a waste of time, but if you're going to do it, at least do it right. Frontier sales for Apr+May+Jun were 4,258+7,497+7,346=19,101 while Ranger was 5,748+7,748+7,384=20,880. I really don't understand why people keep posting wrong and/or misleading figures about things that are easily calculated. (There's still some ambiguity about the ranger numbers because there's some different reporting out there. I expect it'll be cleared up soon, but in no way is it possibly lower than the Frontier.)
Fair - I averaged out the Q2 sales and compared to June. Going off of Redland's # of 9384, shows a positive trend... but it doesn't change the number of trucks on the lot or the number of trucks made.

And the "concern" is the continued support of the product. Yes, I have my Ranger and I'm happy I have my Ranger. But I would prefer to see the Ranger successful, so there's continued support, both in the 3rd party, and by Ford, so in 5 years when I need a new truck, I can get a new and improved Ranger.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's confusing is that with their statement of heavy OT... Though I suppose I don't know if that's still accurate. I'm assuming 50hr/week of assembly, and at 60sec rate, they should be building 600/day, or 12,900 a month
That's a lot of assuming to be building a theory on. Without production figures you're just arguing over a strawman.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair - I averaged out the Q2 sales and compared to June. Going off of Redland's # of 9384, shows a positive trend... but it doesn't change the number of trucks on the lot or the number of trucks made.
Right, but as I just pointed out in a different post, you don't actually know either of those things so it seems silly to argue about them.

And the "concern" is the continued support of the product. Yes, I have my Ranger and I'm happy I have my Ranger. But I would prefer to see the Ranger successful, so there's continued support, both in the 3rd party, and by Ford, so in 5 years when I need a new truck, I can get a new and improved Ranger.
We're well past the point of wondering whether the truck will stick around--you don't need to be #1 in sales in order to sell a product as every midsize but the tacoma has demonstrated. If Ford were really worried about their ability to sell these, they would have slowed down production (really easy to do) and there's no indication that they've done that. (Whether hours have been cut at the plant is much easier to figure out than what the exact production numbers are.) There's no way they finish this year with less than 50k sales, probably more like 70-75k, and that's plenty of customers looking for support. (More than Ranger average annual sales 2007-2011.)

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor

April was 5748
May way 7748
June was 9384

You're 2000 too high for June. They sold 7384 which is actually down slightly from May.
Sponsored