Ford Ranger - long term reliability

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have about 75k on my 2019 XLT. Mostly commuting miles, but a fair amount of road trips and offroading as well. I do regular maintenance. My oil changes have been closer to 10k than 5k with no issues. Just changed my spark plugs a couple thousand miles ago. Have flushed drivetrain fluids after my first water-crossing offroad. Based on what I saw in the fluid, that was overkill.

I had some weird problems with my sway bar links backing out after a while, but that stopped with replacements. Alternator died likely from approaching too fast on silty water crossings (I now have a spare that goes with me on trips).

Still comfortable to drive. Great mileage with various modifications. I love my Ranger. My old TJ had a LOT more reliability problems over a longer span of time with, frankly, a lot less abuse.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bbuoni8

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Occupation
HR
I have about 75k on my 2019 XLT. Mostly commuting miles, but a fair amount of road trips and offroading as well. I do regular maintenance. My oil changes have been closer to 10k than 5k with no issues. Just changed my spark plugs a couple thousand miles ago. Have flushed drivetrain fluids after my first water-crossing offroad. Based on what I saw in the fluid, that was overkill.

I had some weird problems with my sway bar links backing out after a while, but that stopped with replacements. Alternator died likely from approaching too fast on silty water crossings (I now have a spare that goes with me on trips).

Still comfortable to drive. Great mileage with various modifications. I love my Ranger. My old TJ had a LOT more reliability problems over a longer span of time with, frankly, a lot less abuse.
This is actually very helpful. Sounds like normal stuff quite honestly. Sounds close to the mileage and use I would put one through.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Not quite 75k but mine did hit a milestone today...

It's the same as my password in base 10!

IMG_1012.jpeg

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Who's got the highest mileage NA ranger here on the Forums? Anyone know?

BTW, I had a Tacoma and hated it. The Ranger is vastly superior in almost every regard. I had vibration issues, but that was caused after leveling and new tires so I can't blame the truck. The way I look at it, is if it ran fine stock and I did something to it and started having issues, it's not the truck.

In stock form it felt perfect, however I did always have the take off shudder that many have. I say before you buy TEST DRIVE and make sure you get one that doesn't have the shudder. Some do some don't. It will drive you crazy. I didn't notice the shudder during test drive because I did mostly highway test drives, and the dealership is literally right off the freeway so I didn't drive it around town. had I known I would have looked for it. That's my opinion.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
My old TJ had a LOT more reliability problems over a longer span of time with, frankly, a lot less abuse.
I used to have a TJ for my daughter. Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I joined this forum recently, and have seen many posts, and thought I would reach out to all of you with a couple of hopefully quick questions. I am in the market for a mid-size truck, and I drive 90 miles a day on the highway. I have driven all of the mid-sizers, minus the Colorado. I am wondering if you could help me understand the differences, in terms of projected reliability between the Ranger and the Tacoma or the Ranger v. the Frontier, and even the Colorado/Canyon? I understand how the Ecoboosts are great for torque and gas mileage, but am wondering if these engines / truck components can enjoy the same type of dependability that is touted by Tacoma owners. I am honestly trying to make a good choice that will last me for many years, and I really liked the way the Ranger drove. I just want to make sure it is a solid choice. Any counsel or advice would be very appreciated! Thank you,
Hi Bryan,

Late to the party on this and maybe already posted but here is the deal....Ford Tests to the 150,000 mile mileage of a 90% customer, which is not you but an industrial customer like a mining operator, Los Angeles delivery etc. You can expect your Ranger was subjected to these prove out parameters and will deliver trouble free mileage.... That was and is our goal.

Best,
Phil

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
5\8 mile each way is about the worst thing you can do to your oil. And engine.
That type of use is where three months or three thousand miles apply.
I would go with 1 or 2 miles a day, a 5min drive where water has no time to
evaporate. A 20 minute drive is fine. If her Mazda2 can go 10 yrs with no issues
with normal oil change, I sure hope the Ranger can.
I have no issue with people changing oil at 3k miles, it won't hurt.
*** EDIT *** Please see Phil's comment above.... I believe he's talking
about the truck as it's delivered to you & maintenance as described.

Last edited:

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
I wanted to find an Australian 5G page to see the reliability of the Ranger over its true 10 year period. I am not sure if they were just offered the diesel and if there are any 2.3L Turbo engines.
Hey Scooter, Aussie fella here. As far as forums go, newranger.net is the main one I know of downunder.

North America is the only market the 2.3 Ecoboost is offered in, we did get a petrol when this generation of Ranger launched back in 2010, but that was a Mazda 2.5 N/A unit.

As far as the rest of the vehicle is concerned, the Ranger is known here to be a good solid vehicle, although you will always read stories and every HiLux fanboy would say they're a heap of shit.

Ford has had issues with diesel harmonics not playing well with the transmissions (the 3.2 killed the torque converter in the six speed, an 2.0 killed the oil pump in the 10 speed) but both issues have been rectified. There have been issues with the various diesels we get, but what new model comes out without teething trouble in the first year or two. The rest of the vehicle is good from an electronics and chassis perspective.

We have a 2013 XLT Spacecab 4x4, with the 3.2 diesel and 6 speed auto. Its still a great vehicle now with around 100k miles on it.

OP
OP

bbuoni8

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Occupation
HR
Hi Bryan,

Late to the party on this and maybe already posted but here is the deal....Ford Tests to the 150,000 mile mileage of a 90% customer, which is not you but an industrial customer like a mining operator, Los Angeles delivery etc. You can expect your Ranger was subjected to these prove out parameters and will deliver trouble free mileage.... That was and is our goal.

Best,
Phil
Hi Phil, thank you! I have been reading over your posts and appreciate your knowledge and for sharing with everyone.

Do you have any advice or counsel around how to get the most mileage out of the 2.3 Ecoboost in terms of longevity? I am meticulous about my maintenance, and would love to keep the Ranger as long as possible.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil, thank you! I have been reading over your posts and appreciate your knowledge and for sharing with everyone.

Do you have any advice or counsel around how to get the most mileage out of the 2.3 Ecoboost in terms of longevity? I am meticulous about my maintenance, and would love to keep the Ranger as long as possible.
Hi Bryan,

I recommend you follow the Maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, especially the oil change intervals for the 2.3L. This is the schedule used on the durability trucks and the program folks at Ford in agreement that this schedule ensures longevity.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

bbuoni8

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Occupation
HR
Hi Bryan,

I recommend you follow the Maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, especially the oil change intervals for the 2.3L. This is the schedule used on the durability trucks and the program folks at Ford in agreement that this schedule ensures longevity.

Best,
Phil
Got it. Thanks again, Phil. Truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and expertise.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My former mechanic Dave (Ford certified) told me in early 2020 that he had previously serviced a fleet of F-150 Ecoboosts. Dave was not working for Ford then but for a reputable nationwide vehicle servicing organization and had previously been with Ford for a long time so I feel his information to me was unbiased. He did a lot of servicing on my 2011 Ranger and was one of the best mechanics that I have ever used. He said it was normal for these F-150's to go 200,000 without any serious issues. He had no qualms whatsoever with the Ecoboosts. If this comparison can be applicable to the Ranger 5g Ecoboosts then you can buy a Ranger with confidence! So far I have 0 regrets about getting my Ranger and if I had to do it all over again would jump on it! :thumbsup:

OP
OP

bbuoni8

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Occupation
HR
My former mechanic Dave (Ford certified) told me in early 2020 that he had previously serviced a fleet of F-150 Ecoboosts. Dave was not working for Ford then but for a reputable nationwide vehicle servicing organization and had previously been with Ford for a long time so I feel his information to me was unbiased. He did a lot of servicing on my 2011 Ranger and was one of the best mechanics that I have ever used. He said it was normal for these F-150's to go 200,000 without any serious issues. He had no qualms whatsoever with the Ecoboosts. If this comparison can be applicable to the Ranger 5g Ecoboosts then you can buy a Ranger with confidence! So far I have 0 regrets about getting my Ranger and if I had to do it all over again would jump on it! :thumbsup:
Thank you for the confidence boost.... what a great group of people that have responded to my questions. I drove the GM product today, and now I have driven everything. Hands down the Ranger was my favorite. Ride, power, comfort, etc. Now it's time to figure out which model. I'll keep you guys posted on what I decide. Thanks again for the support and answers -- very appreciated!

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
I have 82k on mine and I haven’t had any mechanical issues .. my drivers heated seat quit working but that’s been the only issue i have had .. I change the oil when the iolm suggests and air filters at 30k plugs at 50k and plan on changing all other fluids at 100k .. just recently changed the factory tires and factory brakes are still looking really good
Sponsored