First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Some funny commercials from 1971. One thing they forgot to add in their advertising was the exploding gas tank. :shock:

Explosive Pinto.jpg

Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
yeah I can remember the hoopla from GM and Ford when they launched the Vega and Pinto claiming "they would drive the Japanese from America's shores" paradoxically just the opposite occurred.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
yeah I can remember the hoopla from GM and Ford when they launched the Vega and Pinto claiming "they would drive the Japanese from America's shores" paradoxically just the opposite occurred.
Funny because in the early 80's I owned both the Vega and the Pinto. Both were winter beaters I had bought for $300.00. The first was a Pinto which only lasted one winter, it caught on fire in Bradlee's parking lot. :facepalm: The Vega was actually a fun little car as that one had a stick. Drove it for a couple winters and sold it for what I payed for it.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
That was the beginning of the 2.3 L Architecture and then developed up to the height of performance in the Focus RS. 322 Hp and 352 lb-ft of torque.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Don't remember the commercials I was only 8 in '71. But my Dad loved for some reason. The 1st was a black "sporty"one wothslotted mag wheels. 2nd was an orange one with white stripes that my oldest sister got rear ended by a dump truck in, no fire but years of back and neck problems. And the last was a pea green with white starsky and hutch stripes!

Mcssls

Friend in Cheyenne bought a pinto with a 302 transplant in it. He didn’t know the hood wasn’t attached. Found out when drunk. Hit 40mph and the hood blew off. He went to pick it up, fell face first onto it. Looked up and there was a cop

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
What year did Ford stop using the "paint finish that never needs waxing"? My old '72 Capri didn't seem to have that.

I did like the rack and pinion setup on the Capri. I believe it was the same as the Pinto.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
The idea was good, but I guess they did not deliver. We will never see another Car Manufacturer say, you can easily work on it yourself. Im guessing ofcourse.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Funny because in the early 80's I owned both the Vega and the Pinto. Both were winter beaters I had bought for $300.00. The first was a Pinto which only lasted one winter, it caught on fire in Bradlee's parking lot. :facepalm: The Vega was actually a fun little car as that one had a stick. Drove it for a couple winters and sold it for what I payed for it.
what winters did they go thru ? My sister bought a new Vega and after 2 winters in WNY the A pillars were rusting out, Pintos I think were better but Vegas had severe rust issues.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
what winters did they go thru ? My sister bought a new Vega and after 2 winters in WNY the A pillars were rusting out, Pintos I think were better but Vegas had severe rust issues.
It was right when I graduated so 82-84. I had the Pinto first and well that didn't work out to good. ? The Vega I kept for 2 winters and was great. They were both in ok shape when I bought them and for the $300.00 I spent I was happy if they just lasted through the winter. Both had some body rot but nothing to bad.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It was right when I graduated so 82-84. I had the Pinto first and well that didn't work out to good. ? The Vega I kept for 2 winters and was great. They were both in ok shape when I bought them and for the $300.00 I spent I was happy if they just lasted through the winter. Both had some body rot but nothing to bad.
Hi Dave,

A Pimple and then a Vegamatic? Sheesh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I bought a brand new Vega in 1972. That was the last time I ever believed the Motor Trend car of the year crap. Little sucker was fun for sure, and it took me on many dates. But, it got to where I would pull into the gas station, and tell the attendant to "Fill it up, and check the gas". That thing could drank some oil, and I never saw the dang thing smoke out the tail pipe. From North Carolina I drove it to my sisters house in Hollywood, Florida. I put 6 quarts of oil in the back, used them all, and bought more for the trip home. :turkey:

Also, I was riding around in a friends Pinto while all the commercials were out about them catching on fire if hit in the rear. :rockon:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
When I was a teenager, a guy in my neighbourhood had a Pinto with a Chevy 350 in it (People do weird things). Big boots on the back, skinny tires up front, traction bars, and one of those McDonald’s garbage can hood scoops.
It looked kinda funny but I’m sure he loved building it up - he sure loved driving it…FAST. ?

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
When I was a teenager, a guy in my neighbourhood had a Pinto with a Chevy 350 in it (People do weird things). Big boots on the back, skinny tires up front, traction bars, and one of those McDonald’s garbage can hood scoops.
It looked kinda funny but I’m sure he loved building it up - he sure loved driving it…FAST. ?
I'll do ya one better. A friend, and mechanic put a 350 with a blower in a '74 Vega. I took one ride in it, and told him, "Don't ask me to ride in that thing again". :)
Sponsored