Slow tire leak from delivery used '19 Edge

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
So wifey bought her '19 Edge SEL earlier this year with whatever the highest level of CPO vehicle is. But after only a couple of days we noticed a slow leak in one of the tires. They had put two new tires on the front but the rears had signficant wear, and it was a rear that was leaking. We figured since it slow enough, we would just have it addressed the next time she took it in for service. Well today I discovered that the leak was coming from a small nail. But since she puts very little miles on it, the next service could be months away. So I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and explain the situation and see what they say. But I think they should have caught the nail on inspection at minimum, and not leave the higher mileage tires on the rear to begin with if it was CPO.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
hate to say this but they are going to tell you to pound sand, unless you paid for road hazard warranty on the tires
So the bumper to bumper doesn't cover tires, even if defective upon delivery?

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
So the bumper to bumper doesn't cover tires, even if defective upon delivery?
correct. and you have the additional issue of being able to PROVE it was there when you took delivery and they are sure to ask if you knew about it and failed to do anything why did you wait?

now he may offer you a fix in the name of good customer relations but don't bet on it. Frankly if the tires were in bad shape I would have insisted they be replaced before taking the car but that is just me.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
You bought a vehicle with worn out tires, so I’m not sure why you’re expecting replacement. You could have picked up that nail as you drove away from the dealer.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
@Discount Tire will fix that for little or nothing...literally.
Take it there and be done with it.
Then buy your next set of tires from them. They'll take good care of you all over the country.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I bought my tires from discount tire an the guy told me they repair tires for free to keep people safe. When they decide they want to replace the tire they hope they come back for the service. I doubt the dealer replaces the tire for free. They may offer you a "deal" on 2 new ones for the back.

Good luck with it

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I went to trade a Toyota minivan for a Toyota minivan. It was a "CPO" but had dooooodooo tires on it. I asked the sales guy what I could do about that to help make the deal since mine had not new but really good tires - he told me to take their 8 passenger for an extended test drive and swap over the tires from my 7 passenger.... . .. .. . lol.

Back on topic (sort of.. ill make a point eventally.. maybe). I have always found the certified pre-owned inspections to be a bit gimmicky and no telling if they really did it. So did they check the tires? Depends on the techs/management. I have noticed the price bump for the CPO title is cheaper than aftermarket or factory extended warranties - so it isn't all bad.

Then while being a turd on CPOs; my wife's current Kia is one. They put new brakes on it, new tires, and a new windshield at 32k miles. (that last bit was because it was traded in with a busted windshield for a Telluride.. golfing accident) As well as changing all the fluids. I thought they were full of it until I poked around it and could see the work was done/new fluids etc. So some take that a bit seriously. A different CPO I bought myself years ago as a pure commuter/cheap car wasn't even cleaned out all the way... actually got a bit taken off because of that.

but to bring it back and get a new tires - after even a day; I am guessing no.

Adding to the point others made about tire shops being nice about a fix - NTB yanked a screw out of my Ranger's tire when it had about 10k on it or so.. and double-checked it for leaks for free. They were even going to patch it for free and I had no warranty with them on those tires. I just use them a lot so that is probably why they are nice (even though Firestone is getting the business on this one for my next set). I did tip the guy 20 bux for being nice and helping me make sure I wasn't going to end up with a flat later that day when the screw came out.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
First arguing with them to fix a flat is probably a waste of time. Like others have said, Discount Tire will fix the leak for free. If you want to try to argue that the older tires should have been replaced when the Edge was certified, I think you have two possibilities: (1) If the Edge is all-wheel drive, then the tire tread depth needs to match. They are well aware of this and it should have failed the certification process if the tread depth does not match. (2) You need a tread depth gauge to see if the tire tread is in the Green (good), yellow (need to be replaced soon), or red (replace now). If the tread depth shows up in the yellow or red, I think you stand a good chance winning an aurgement that the tires should have failed certification. If you take the car to Discount Tire for the flat repair, they will check the tread depth.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
correct. and you have the additional issue of being able to PROVE it was there when you took delivery and they are sure to ask if you knew about it and failed to do anything why did you wait?

now he may offer you a fix in the name of good customer relations but don't bet on it. Frankly if the tires were in bad shape I would have insisted they be replaced before taking the car but that is just me.
Yeah, you're probably right about proving it was there from the get go. My mistake was looking at the front tires and, seeing they were new, didn't even bother to look at the rear until we got a low tire warning.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
First arguing with them to fix a flat is probably a waste of time. Like others have said, Discount Tire will fix the leak for free. If you want to try to argue that the older tires should have been replaced when the Edge was certified, I think you have two possibilities: (1) If the Edge is all-wheel drive, then the tire tread depth needs to match. They are well aware of this and it should have failed the certification process if the tread depth does not match. (2) You need a tread depth gauge to see if the tire tread is in the Green (good), yellow (need to be replaced soon), or red (replace now). If the tread depth shows up in the yellow or red, I think you stand a good chance winning an aurgement that the tires should have failed certification. If you take the car to Discount Tire for the flat repair, they will check the tread depth.
Good info, thanks!

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
@Discount Tire will fix that for little or nothing...literally.
Take it there and be done with it.
Then buy your next set of tires from them. They'll take good care of you all over the country.
There is no Discount Tire near me.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You bought a vehicle with worn out tires, so I’m not sure why you’re expecting replacement. You could have picked up that nail as you drove away from the dealer.
I was not necessarily expecting replacement. Just came here for some insight.
Sponsored