First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone used the Ford performance tune? If so, what are your thoughts.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If he doesn't see this you can message member @Ace Holliday. He has the FP tune and also just got the Livernois tune so he could give you a good comparison.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I have used the FP Tune for about 6 weeks and have dyno numbers on it. It is a substantial bump in performance. Makes the truck so much more fun!
I just flashed the Livernois 91/93 Performance tune a day or so ago and only have 80 miles on it. No dyno yet but I will get that done within the next couple of weeks.
I can say the truck is a beast in Sport Mode with the Livernois tune. Shifting is firmed up and the shift point is increased to redline. Traction would be an issue if I was on a track. The truck will surprise a lot of folks! Especially mine with the stock wheels and tires.
I hope to get some miles on it this week. I want to dyno the Towing tune as well. Hoping it has a lot of low/mid torque. I'll probably use the Towing tune as my daily.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have used the FP Tune for about 6 weeks and have dyno numbers on it. It is a substantial bump in performance. Makes the truck so much more fun!
I just flashed the Livernois 91/93 Performance tune a day or so ago and only have 80 miles on it. No dyno yet but I will get that done within the next couple of weeks.
I can say the truck is a beast in Sport Mode with the Livernois tune. Shifting is firmed up and the shift point is increased to redline. Traction would be an issue if I was on a track. The truck will surprise a lot of folks! Especially mine with the stock wheels and tires.
I hope to get some miles on it this week. I want to dyno the Towing tune as well. Hoping it has a lot of low/mid torque. I'll probably use the Towing tune as my daily.
I think I'm going to flash the tow tune this week. I'd like a little more low-mid, actually I'd like a lot more lol but this tune is very impressive.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I owned a 2018 Ford Explorer with a 2.3 ecoboost. On Ford's website it stated the HP/TQ numbers as 270/310 "when used with 93 octane fuel." I used high octane and a K&N replacement air filter. The explorer ran much better, although I don't have any scientific evidence of this.

When I got the 2020 Ranger, I did the same thing; used High-Octane fuel and replaced the air filter with the K&N. It performs very well.

I recently installed the Ford Performance tune. It seems to perform as well, maybe.... just a little better than stock and high-octane fuel.

If the Ranger is 270/310 hp/tq with regular unleaded, then with an upgraded air filter and high-octane fuel, it improves that number noticeably. Adding the tune is a marginal improvement over this.

There is still a certain lag when you stomp down on the accelerator. There are electronic devices that can be installed to the pedal to overcome this "delayed" response. I'm thinking about getting one, but I haven't decided.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I've posted extensively about the Ford Performance package elsewhere on this site, so I'll be brief.

Besides the Ford tune, I have their performance exhaust system, and the Roush cool air intake unit (if you can call it that). Corrected to SEA LEVEL, dyno-measures HP hovers around 345 HP, depending on the temperature, and the fuel being burned at the moment (all E10ā€”variations in Reid Vapor pressure if nothing else). The torque corrected to SEA LEVEL, is almost 400 foot-pounds. If I do everything correctly (a bit of torque load on the converter), the 0 to 60 (according the my Draggy @3,500 altitude) is just under 6 seconds. That relates to about 5.4 seconds at SEA LEVEL, or about what other tune programs offer. The difference is, the Ford Performance tune is covered under warranty!

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
What's the stock number of the K&N filter?

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
What's the stock number of the K&N filter?

Straight filter for filter swap:

K&N engine air filter, washable and reusable: 2015-2019 Ford (Everest, Ranger, Ranger Raptor) 33-3086

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I was planning the same. Really looking forward to your update.
Livernois Towing Tune

269.2 Horsepower @ 5450 rpm

328.9 Torque @3350 rpm

HotRod

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 2WD
Occupation
Rehabilitation Facilities Manager
I owned a 2018 Ford Explorer with a 2.3 ecoboost. On Ford's website it stated the HP/TQ numbers as 270/310 "when used with 93 octane fuel." I used high octane and a K&N replacement air filter. The explorer ran much better, although I don't have any scientific evidence of this.

When I got the 2020 Ranger, I did the same thing; used High-Octane fuel and replaced the air filter with the K&N. It performs very well.

I recently installed the Ford Performance tune. It seems to perform as well, maybe.... just a little better than stock and high-octane fuel.

If the Ranger is 270/310 hp/tq with regular unleaded, then with an upgraded air filter and high-octane fuel, it improves that number noticeably. Adding the tune is a marginal improvement over this.

There is still a certain lag when you stomp down on the accelerator. There are electronic devices that can be installed to the pedal to overcome this "delayed" response. I'm thinking about getting one, but I haven't decided.
I have a 2020 xlt crew with 9K mikes now. Drove easy ( break in ) on 87/89 octane for first 1K miles. Then did muffler delete, pedal commander and have ran 93 octane ever since. No k&n filter yet but will at some point. Pedal commander helps alot with lag especially from a roll. I feel this device is safe as long as you make your selections while off the throttle. In sport plus(+4 ) its snappy to say the least. Thank you for your input about how close you think a stock tune and filter on 93 octane compared to the FFP feels. Based the ffp advertised gains i thought it woukd be only slightly better. I may wait untill 60,001 miles and go for the livernois or 5 star. Soooo! many tough decisions with this truck!

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Thank you for your input about how close you think a stock tune and filter on 93 octane compared to the FFP feels.
I really believe that the stock tune, high octane and the K&N filter will improve power output. If you put it in sport mode and disable advance trac, you will really feel it.

But I have an update. I installed the most recent FPP update for their tune. It is supposed to address an issue related to towing. I think that it is getting me better fuel mileage. I need to drive some more and eliminate other variables, but it would be nice if the MPG Iā€™m getting short-term continues.

Sauve30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have run 92 octane with a k&n filter since my truck had 500 miles on it (now has 16,000 miles) and I was pretty impressed with how it performed compared to that first 500 miles. I have averaged 22-23 mpg most tanks of fuel as well. That being said, I just installed the FP tune about 3 days ago and to me there is a night an day difference in how my truck handles and performs. Acceleration is smooth and shifts are more crisp and firm. And over the last 3 days I have been averaging 24.8 mpg. Also my truck feels like a rocket.
Sponsored