Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Like my 2019, but a manual trans. and I would trade her in, in a heartbeat
Unfortunately, so few drivers like or even know how to use a stick nowadays, the market is really too small to be worthwhile for most models.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yet one of the new bronco models will have a manual transmission option so slide that into a Ranger for me please LOL

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yet one of the new bronco models will have a manual transmission option so slide that into a Ranger for me please LOL
For myself, I used to love driving a stick, but my knees are no good anymore. Still, I agree that they should at least offer the manual transmission on new Rangers as an option for guys who want one.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
For myself, I used to love driving a stick, but my knees are no good anymore. Still, I agree that they should at least offer the manual transmission on new Rangers as an option for guys who want one.
I'm curious how much extra the people who advocate for that are willing to pay so someone else can choose a stick? Remember, this is a company that took two bent pieces of metal and four screws out of the ranger to save a couple of bucks per truck--they certainly aren't going to be the ones who eat the cost of an unprofitable transmission option.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That is exactly my problem. My 2005 was a 5 speed but I was having a hard time using it as a daily driver in traffic due to my knee. I love my 10 speed - it makes a GREAT daily driver and doesn't kill my knee - and has WAY more power than my 4l v6. I still have my '73 Capri to drive when I want to drive a stick. We had a nice day here today and I took it out for a long drive. As long as I don't get in stop and go traffic it is fine, but that seems to be more and more common around here (although COVID has helped with that a bit)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Why offer it in the bronco then if it’s a loss of money
Because they think enough of the target market for the bronco will take the option to make it worthwhile. Just like the wranglers take rate on the manual, while still small, is much higher than the industry average. Or maybe, even if it's a money loser, it's worth eating the cost to head off a bunch of complaints that the bronco doesn't have a manual but the wrangler does.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Why offer it in the bronco then if it’s a loss of money
I think (guess, hope) that the economy of scale would be over the threshold to include the option of the 7-speed manual in the 2023 MY(6G) Ranger. It is or will be EPA-certified in the Bronco so hopefully the same would be true for the 6G Ranger, probably in a Raptor/Wildcat edition.
Plus, a manual isn't currently offered in the Colorado ZR2.

Last edited:

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Might have to go check to see if they offer standard in the Gladiator ,

Devil6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
HI Rich,

Back Story, we had a program called UPN105. It was a common chassis program for Ranger and Explorer when we switched from Twin I Beam to Short/Long Arm (SLA) front suspension. Then the Explorer SUV diverged and not a lot of comonality. So the Sport Trac was body on frame SUV with a pickup box. Sales were below expectations, but the folks that bough them were some of the most ardent supporters of the brand. Alas...the CUV scuttled the Sport Trac. I still have two friends with them and both are above 300,000 miles and the owners are going to keep them going regardless of cost.... I just smile.

At the time I had chassis FEA, and we were trying to get a grip on the steering knuckle...aka spindle. I hooked up with a fellow from Ford Scientific Research that has developed a optimization program to guide to an optimized design. It was poopoo's by engineering, but I saw the value and my analysis engineer and I worked with him (RenJay Z.) Our first analysis gave really weird results of a new design but when we realized what it was telling us with respect to thickness and ribbing of the casting, we were able to make the spindle 5 times more robust and took three pounds per spindle out of the design for a 6 lb reduction in unsprung weight. Absolutely unheard of ever before in suspension design. Testing of prototypes validated this and Renjay, Amar O and I won a Henry Ford Technical Achievement award for this (Ford's version of the Nobel Prize.) My satisfaction was that the customer got better handling, fuel economy and durability. Take away...sometimes you have to gamble on doing something in a new way, accept the arrows in the back from disbelivers and forge ahead. The accolades were secondary but nice...bigger pay check...promotion and satisfaction of a job well done... Take prudent risks. Think out of the box... Do not be afraid to fail.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Congratulations on your award.

I purchased one in Anchorage and really liked it.

What I couldn't understand about the vehicle was (minor memories):
AdvanceTrac vs 4WD. In the snow it never seemed to engage the front wheels unless it was in 4WD.

No matter how much I tried, I could never get over 19 MPG on the freeway unless I was coasting downhill.

No tow hooks. It was impossible to pull someone out of the snow.

Chrome clad wheels. That is when I learned about shinny plastic that cost a lot of money.

The heated windshield. Very useful in Alaska.

Passing the rear axles through the frame. I thought this was really neat engineering, then I learned about how it limited what I wanted to do with the truck. When the Boss 302 became available, this is what killed it for me.

Reactions: Doc