r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
FEA and those optimization programs have done wonders for engineering and design. As someone who works with FEA almost daily it has changed the way I see parts and load paths and stiffness ribs and what not.

As far as the Sport Trac... I'm quite a bit younger than most of you guys on here, so I had a 1:24th scale Sport Trac (in orange no less) that cherished and always wanted to get one when I got older. In the end, I'm almost kind of did with the new Ranger. Same color and everything. haha
All the Ranger needs is a fold flat rear seat and power rear window and it’ll be the same!

Advertisement

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like a competitor to a ridgeline, its a 'car' with an open trunk space on a uni-Body. I laugh when guys look at it then as 'Gee ya think it will fit a motorcycle, be good for off-roading.." It's a niche utility vehicle like an el camino, ranchero, courier or sport-trac.

If its on the new 2020 escape architecture then it might be a good contender for the same/modified Atkinson Hybrid drivetrain system..
If it has some of the guys on this forum thinking seriously about getting one, then it will find its market more generally. For me, the Ranger is just the right size right now. I would consider going a little bigger and heavier in future but would not want to go in the other direction. To each his own....

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
My mom had an older Ranger, she loved it but traded it on a 2018 escape.
she incidentally hates my Ranger because its much bigger than hers was.

this would be right up her alley...small, good on gas, stylish and branded by the best manufacturer and can be the garden workhorse she needs. Potted plants and bags of soil dont agree with the trunk space of the escape on the scale she needs.

dano0726

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I've reserved a Bronco Sport Badlands for Wifey -- this Maverick truck may be my replacement, especially if it looks this the Bronco Sport (to the C Pillar) and has a Badlands Trim (with the 2.0L)

TORQUERULES

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Hot Pepper Red with Black Package
Occupation
Public School Administrator
If this has the 2.0 Ecoboost as an option just like the Bronco Sport, which I am sure it will, then there will be some really quick AWD Mavericks on the road in no time after this comes out... Just you wait, this will be a fun little truck. My wife is ardent SUV/CUV and has a wonderful Mazda CX-5 currently, but when I showed her this she was VERY interested. I might try to talk here into one if she doesn't go Model Y Tesla with her next ride.

TORQUERULES

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Hot Pepper Red with Black Package
Occupation
Public School Administrator
I think Ford will sell TONS of them. The tuner crowd will eat them up too. One of these lowered, with AWD, a modified 2.0 Ecoboost, sticky tires, etc. would be a fun little ride and have utility that a hatchback or wagon would never have.

dtech

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4 abundantly chromed, Saab 9-5, Hyundai Sante Fe (all turbos)
I think earlier this year sales of pickups surpassed those of cars in the US market and that trend is expected to continue , selling trucks remains highly profitable, esp for Ford GM and FCA, so wise move by Ford to intro a new model, probably relatively low developmental cost as it appears to utilize some design attributes of the Ranger.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If this has the 2.0 Ecoboost as an option just like the Bronco Sport, which I am sure it will, then there will be some really quick AWD Mavericks on the road in no time after this comes out... Just you wait, this will be a fun little truck. My wife is ardent SUV/CUV and has a wonderful Mazda CX-5 currently, but when I showed her this she was VERY interested. I might try to talk here into one if she doesn't go Model Y Tesla with her next ride.
The 2.0 Ecoboost will have plenty of power for how small this thing will be. Heck, the 2.3 in our trucks has more than enough get up and go. A hybrid variant similar to that in my wife's 2020 Escape would be huge in my opinion as well, and since the Maverick is based on the Escape/Bronco Sport platform it seems very possible to make that happen. To get a little truck that can get up to 40mpg would be a huge move and something I would absolutely jump at.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape SEL 1.5L 4wd; 2009 Mercury Mariner Base 3.0 V6 awd: 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 1980 Kawasaki: KZ 750E
If it didn't have "Maverick" on the tailgate I would say this is the 6g Ranger.
Looking at the contour of the hood and the taillight cutouts, I see Bronco Sport. The bed would probably hold a 250cc dirt bike with the tailgate down- they fit in a Ridgeline.

I'm skeptical about the powertrains. The 1.5L I-3 is "drony" in a '20 Escape IMO; the 8-spd short shifts at too low an rpm. The 2.0L I-4 is starting to show the same P0301-P0304 codes -engine misfire coolant in cylinder that the 1.6L and 1.5L I-4s are experiencing. I'd consider the hybrid AWD, but it will only be available in a crew cab, so a pass for me.

What nickname should it have? Mav? "MavLine?" 'Rick? 'Ricky?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I wonder if we'll see a Maverick RS with the 2.3 and a manual. Or an ST with an automatic would even be ok.

I like the Ranger, but I kind of like speed too.

dtech

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4 abundantly chromed, Saab 9-5, Hyundai Sante Fe (all turbos)
would think it might be offered in an all electric version at some point .

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I wonder if we'll see a Maverick RS with the 2.3 and a manual. Or an ST with an automatic would even be ok.

I like the Ranger, but I kind of like speed too.
Tune it.
Then lower it.
Ranger Lightning.

Reactions: Doc

geophb

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Was just doin a build on a 2021 f150 for fun. It really made the new ranger feel outdated.
Maybe that was just me. Good thing the ranger has all the features I would need and isnt over 50 grand.

But that 7.2 kw power pack and the 36 gal fuel tank on the f150 though. OOOo hubba hubba. 🥴 dios mio

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement