Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Is there enough cable to mount the knob (B2 in the pic above) in the center console by the 4wd knob instead of on the left hand side where Ford suggests?
Not sure since I don't have my kit yet. That said, guys have done that with the RedArc alone and the kit we are talking about is basically that controller with the add-on CHMSL module. Given how automated the thing is, you could mount it almost anywhere because I don't think you touch it after you calibrate it for your trailer.
Sponsored

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure since I don't have my kit yet. That said, guys have done that with the RedArc alone and the kit we are talking about is basically that controller with the add-on CHMSL module. Given how automated the thing is, you could mount it almost anywhere because I don't think you touch it after you calibrate it for your trailer.
I figured there was enough cable, but you know how Ford likes to make things difficult for us.:curse:

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Yay!
upload_2020-2-13_15-44-55.png

Dustanmont

First Name
Dustan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Is there enough cable to mount the knob (B2 in the pic above) in the center console by the 4wd knob instead of on the left hand side where Ford suggests?
It would be much more accessible on the console that is for sure!

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
It would be much more accessible on the console that is for sure!
Yes there is plenty of cable to mount in the console. It is a much better place for the control knob since you can actually see it and manage the unit easily while driving.

image.jpg

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Yes there is plenty of cable to mount in the console. It is a much better place for the control knob since you can actually see it and manage the unit easily while driving.
Not to mention how cool that is next to the traction control knob!

Could you post exactly how you get that center console off?

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Not to mention how cool that is next to the traction control knob!

Could you post exactly how you get that center console off?
Check out post 80 in the Redarc Tow Pro Elite Install thread. It has some pics that show how it looks.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Check out post 80 in the Redarc Tow Pro Elite Install thread. It has some pics that show how it looks.
Got it, thanks! Frankly, that's scarier than the CHMSL headliner part...time to man-up.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Floor Console Upper Trim Panel Removal Procedure (per Ford)

Attachments

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Floor Console Upper Trim Panel Removal Procedure (per Ford)
This really only looks scarier than it is. The dash trip pieces and the fascia are really super easy (especially if you have trim removal tools), just pull the side panels from the front of them (toward the engine) and pull as straight back as possible. The center fascia needs a lot of force in the middle to come out, but give it a yank and you'll be fine. I didn't remove the center console, but that looks even easier.

Khyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Shelby GT350
I just found something that will help you guys about to tear your interior apart to access the CHMSL feed. This is straight out of the Body Builders handbook (think service beds, etc). Now you know what line to connect to, under the dash, rather than going to the back of the cab. source

upload_2020-2-7_11-16-24.png
I'm really hoping someone smarter and braver than me is willing to try tapping into this alternate location for the wiring.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
You would think there is a much easier place to get that signal from. I’m not an expert though.
There is, but it involves cutting the harness under the dash and performing a splice, which we know your average install technician cannot be trusted to do.

All those lights have to get back to the brain somehow, and that 99% of the time passes under the dash. If you just want the module, I think it's available through Ford Parts. It would be easy enough to cut off the connector and splice it into the harness.

That said, Ford will invalidate your warranty for anything electrical because you modified the harness.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
That said, Ford will invalidate your warranty for anything electrical because you modified the harness.
Yep.

...and, as someone pointed out, Ford had some nasty and expensive recalls over fuse panels. You want to talk about a nightmare wiring job, replacing a damaged one, especially the main one under the driver side, is just hell.

...and, as I pointed out, one of Lumens specialities is "plug 'n play" aftermarket modules. I am fairly convinced that this is why the loom runs to the back to catch the connector there.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really hoping someone smarter and braver than me is willing to try tapping into this alternate location for the wiring.
Did it the other day, ain't no thing.

It's actually a little easier to get to than the TBC wires farther under the dash.
Sponsored