Ford BMS Battery Monitoring System: How it Works and How to Properly Charge Your Battery!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Had my factory battery (30 mos. old) replaced with a new AGM on warranty several weeks ago. Ordered this Desulfator from BatteryMINDer® Model OBD-12: 12V On-Board Desulfator (batteryminders.com) and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to setting it up and working to get more life out the new one.

Ironically, during the same week had my Galaxy battery also replaced on warranty. I've committed to make an effort now to try and extend the battery life on all my devices.

1680288965956.jpeg

1680289145806.jpeg
Sponsored

conductor

First Name
Rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
Found this video explains the BMS system. It shows how you should jump start and charge it too. So many have never had this system (myself included) and there's always questions about what to do with these. Overall a good helpful video but the guy does get a little repetitive towards the end.

Yes, this probably qualifies for the longest thread title on here. ?

I got done with the whole bms crap, and disconnected the the bms at the neg. terminal.
No More ASS. anymore and the battery receives a steady 13.8 to 14volts kust like before Fords better idea!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Had my factory battery (30 mos. old) replaced with a new AGM on warranty several weeks ago. Ordered this Desulfator from BatteryMINDer® Model OBD-12: 12V On-Board Desulfator (batteryminders.com) and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to setting it up and working to get more life out the new one.

Ironically, during the same week had my Galaxy battery also replaced on warranty. I've committed to make an effort now to try and extend the battery life on all my devices.

1680288965956.jpeg

1680289145806.jpeg
How is the battery minder working out for you ? I bought a competing less expensive product from pulsetech hooked it up to my 4 yr old battery but don't expect much from it mostly bought it for my Weize AGM bargain batt waiting for the oem to fail, then I expect it to yield results.

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/o... Battery MINDer,effective when used long term.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got done with the whole bms crap, and disconnected the the bms at the neg. terminal.
No More ASS. anymore and the battery receives a steady 13.8 to 14volts kust like before Fords better idea!
I watched maybe 4 minutes of that dude's video and it served to completely reinforce my decision some yrs back to disco the bms and committed to never again watch any of his pathetic videos.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
How is the battery minder working out for you ? I bought a competing less expensive product from pulsetech hooked it up to my 4 yr old battery but don't expect much from it mostly bought it for my Weize AGM bargain batt waiting for the oem to fail, then I expect it to yield results.

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/on-board-desulfator-battery-minder-vs-pulse-tech.html#:~:text=Pulse Tech and Battery MINDer,effective when used long term.
dtech,
I am very challenged when it comes to electrical systems. Tony @TJC is guiding me with steps on how to learn to use this system. I'm not sure yet how to monitor the BatteryMINDer results but here are the readings so far according to my battery tester and hope they help. I have a NOCO charger that I haven't used yet but need to start hooking it up when the battery shows that it needs a charge after testing.

battery testing log (12-15-23).jpg

NOCO Charger.jpg

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dtech,
I am very challenged when it comes to electrical systems. Tony @TJC is guiding me with steps on how to learn to use this system. I'm not sure yet how to monitor the BatteryMINDer results but here are the readings so far according to my battery tester and hope they help. I have a NOCO charger that I haven't used yet but need to start hooking it up when the battery shows that it needs a charge after testing.

battery testing log (12-15-23).jpg

NOCO Charger.jpg
Kee in mind batteries are chemical devices and readings are impacted by a number of factors , especially by temperature differences and if you still have the bms operational I'd expect to see a wide range of readings.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Yep, temps matter. I would try unplugging the BMS module at the neg terminal as an experiment. Drive it for a month of two and then check your results. You might be surprised.
Sponsored