Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was the same, 10 min and a 10mm ratchet fixed it
^^^ Ditto. Better, but not perfect. Not going to break out the Dremel and enlarge the fender holes, but it should have come "perfect" from the factory. As P.A. Schilke noted above-- a "no adjust build process", IMO, just opens Pandora's box for issues....there should be a random "Quality Check" to ensure the jigs/machines are set correctly. To expect that every part is perfectly identical to those used to make the initial adjustment, is just foolish.
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ Ditto. Better, but not perfect. Not going to break out the Dremel and enlarge the fender holes, but it should have come "perfect" from the factory. As P.A. Schilke noted above-- a "no adjust build process", IMO, just opens Pandora's box for issues....there should be a random "Quality Check" to ensure the jigs/machines are set correctly. To expect that every part is perfectly identical to those used to make the initial adjustment, is just foolish.
It's a shame Rangers were delivered with the fit and finish issues many of us have. Randon check isn't good enough. The plant no doubt saw these issues at the final check and let them through to get on dealer lots.

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Well it sounds like the dealerships aren't doing a good job of inspecting Rangers before delivery either. There are tons of reports of tire pressures that are way too high, washer fluid very low, etc. The topic of this thread, and all these little issues are what kinda scare me about buying a Ford. I've been a Toyota guy for a long time, so hopefully the Ford will prove to be great.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Well it sounds like the dealerships aren't doing a good job of inspecting Rangers before delivery either. There are tons of reports of tire pressures that are way too high, washer fluid very low, etc. The topic of this thread, and all these little issues are what kinda scare me about buying a Ford. I've been a Toyota guy for a long time, so hopefully the Ford will prove to be great.
From my perspective all that stuff is easily fixable. (tire pressure, washer fluid level) The things I care about most I've not had any problems with (mechanical or electrical issues, etc). Almost 3 months in and I've not had any issues other than the slightly leaky turn signal lamp in the passenger mirror which was easily fixed.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
From my perspective all that stuff is easily fixable. (tire pressure, washer fluid level) The things I care about most I've not had any problems with (mechanical or electrical issues, etc). Almost 3 months in and I've not had any issues other than the slightly leaky turn signal lamp in the passenger mirror which was easily fixed.
My bed alignment is off, but it's completely even on the passenger side and you can see about ~1" of the cab on the passenger side. So it looks perfect on the side I see 98% of the time. Looks easy enough to fix. The dealer acted like it was a big deal.

My hood was super hard to close, and again, the dealer blew me off, but that ended up being an easy fix. Having fixed it, exposed the reason why they made it so tight. The gap on the passenger side is now slight larger, so the factory probably made the hood close super tight to even up the gaps. It's not bad, and I'd rather have a normal closing hood.

Other than that, knock on wood, no fit and finish issues nor mechanical problems with ~1200 miles.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I thought I was getting sc@%$ed because they favored high end trucks and delayed building my STX SuperCab.
Do you think they were just waiting 'til they could get it right? ... Mine's flawless... built in May.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously? Tire pressure and washer fluid have you scared??????

What did the rusted frames do to you then?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi HD409,

Good point...Ranger has a fully boxed frame...Super strong!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retied

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I was getting sc@%$ed because they favored high end trucks and delayed building my STX SuperCab.
Do you think they were just waiting 'til they could get it right? ... Mine's flawless... built in May.
Hope you're right. My STX supercab due to be built in 2 weeks.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4

It may not be a big deal, but I do think it shows a lack of quality control. If they cant line up the hood/fenders, then what else did they miss? (theoretically).

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It may not be a big deal, but I do think it shows a lack of quality control. If they cant line up the hood/fenders, then what else did they miss? (theoretically).
Not to trivialize the flaws some have suffered in their new Rangers but only to offer a little perspective...
I appreciate initial quality and have learned to expect that from Ford,
The initial quality of my new Ranger is as good or better than any other vehicle available in 2019.
Still...
I really only start to appreciate true quality control sometime during that second hundred thousand miles.
I've had that experience 14 times on new Fords, quality which no other automaker can match.

For those of you who have too much air in your tires, not enough washer fluid or even a minor inclusion in the paint...
Do you care about or even notice the beauty mark on her cheek?...

Best-Marilyn-Monroe-Movies.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Well, since those two are the responsibilities of the dealer,it means nothing to the quality of the manufacturer. Not a damn thing.

Gaps? Most times are good, but perfect 100% from the OEM will never happened. From any manufacturer. Just not reality.

If you were into classic cars and restoration, you would know this. Why do you think restorations are marketed as "better than factory"?

Mass production of anything does not result in 100% perfection.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, since those two are the responsibilities of the dealer,it means nothing to the quality of the manufacturer. Not a damn thing.

Gaps? Most times are good, but perfect 100% from the OEM will never happened. From any manufacturer. Just not reality.

If you were into classic cars and restoration, you would know this. Why do you think restorations are marketed as "better than factory"?

Mass production of anything does not result in 100% perfection.
I spent more than a few years working for a tier one automotive supplier for interior and exterior parts. Even making parts for Ford. These vehicles are and should be inspected and initial quality checked at the manufacturer as it rolls off the line. If they spot defects they pull the cars out of the line and they are set aside to be repaired or fixed. Now a good dealer should also notice the issue and take care of it if possible.

I don't think its fair to say you need to be into classic car to appreciate good body gaps. And if it was a less noticeable gap like something low on the car I think it would matter less and most people wouldn't notice. But the hood to fender gap is typically an "A" datum that most manufactures try to nail because its so noticeable.

Don't get me wrong I think for the most part its well put together, and I think the interior quality on my ranger is actually higher than the Tacoma. But it doesn't have to be black and white, it can be good and still have flaws.

Reactions: Doc

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually? Well yeah!

There is a story about a cosmonaut doctor who once said...
" There is no perfectly healthy man.... Only one who has not been examined enough!"

Lexus used to advertise "in relentless pursuit of perfection" implying that they had not yet caught it...

;)I always visualized a Lexus chasing a Ford and never quite catching up!:giggle:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think that the Lexus quote is in reference to the Toyota Production System philosophy of KAIZEN or continuous improvement (Ford has also adopted this along with other aspects of the Toyota production system). As you said, nothing is perfect, but you can always improve. As for the quality differences between Lexus and Ford, I think both manufacturers make good products and trade blows in the ratings depending on the year.
Sponsored

Last edited: