Ranger XLT erratic and jerky, also other issues.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I have had my 2019 ranger for about a month now and I've been feeling this jerky feeling when pressing lightly on the gas pedal under 30mph. Definitely more noticeable when the engine is cold. Today the truck did the jerky feeling then straight up lost power like not getting fuel then came back. So something is going on. I have the damn dash rattle that everyone complains about and it sucks. All i can hear is the rattling. Lastly the brakes are super mushy feeling. When at a stop light it seems the brake pedal almost hits the floor. Anyone else experiencing any of these issues?

Thank you for any advice..
James
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm happy with my brake pedal feel and luckily do not have the dash rattle.

When driving at low speeds and the transmission has settled into 6-8th gear, depending on my speed I do get a feeling like it lugs when speeding up as a transmission in too high a gear, but think this is how the 10 speed works.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my 2019 ranger for about a month now and I've been feeling this jerky feeling when pressing lightly on the gas pedal under 30mph. Definitely more noticeable when the engine is cold. Today the truck did the jerky feeling then straight up lost power like not getting fuel then came back. So something is going on. I have the damn dash rattle that everyone complains about and it sucks. All i can hear is the rattling. Lastly the brakes are super mushy feeling. When at a stop light it seems the brake pedal almost hits the floor. Anyone else experiencing any of these issues?

James
HI James,

Mine has this feeling too when cold....and this is after the reflash of the ECM due to my late January build date. The calibrators did not get the fix right in my opinion for some reason...There is a calibrator that occasionally imputs here to suggest that the injectors fire twice per intake into the cylinder for some reason and this clears up when warm.... I feel they need to do better, but I am far removed from day to day operations.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport

James
James,

I have a post about loss of power on my Ranger under full throttle. No CEL and no warnings of any kind. I would be willing to bet that we are getting moisture buildup in the intercooler. The temps have been crazy here in the Panhandle over the last month 30's to 80's with a 100% humidity with all the rain.

The intercooler moisture buildup happened to my 2014 F150 EcoBoost. Solved it by placing a weep hole in the very bottom of the intercooler. However, with that said I haven't yet pulled the tubes on the Ranger intercooler to inspect. I don't have the low speed shutter like your describing as mine occurs under heavy load. Until I find time to inspect I've been staying out of the throttle and it's been doing fine. Like others have stated I do notice a difference in pep in the morning's when I let it idle and warm up a bit.

FERDI BRITS

First Name
Ferdi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 For Ranger XLT

James
I have a 2019 Ranger XLT has the same issue. There is a service bulletin out on this issue. ( TSB 19-2052 -2019) I took it to the dealer and it was rectified. Actually had to take the car back twice for there was an update to the update. Now my vehicle runs normal for the first time.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw

James
I have the exact same thing, jerky/hunting when freezing cold. Just noticed it the other day. Only when it's near or below freezing and under very light throttle. Almost like it's confused on whether to shift or not shift or it's a missfire. Has been silky smooth up until this issue and was pure chance that I discovered it. I think my build date is after the hard shift tsb, so I'll probably just live with it unless it gets worse. My dash rattle was the defroster grill. I removed it, just pops off, and put felt along the edges. Rattle gone.....
Sponsored

Last edited: