Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport Supercab 4x4, '19 Lance 1995
Occupation
Retired
211018CS-9961s.jpg
Just returned from our first big trip towing our (new to us) travel trailer, a 2019 Lance 1995. A great experience, the truck handled everything well and we had no issues. The trailer weighed 5740 lbs (520 tongue/5220 axles); truck weight 5800 (2560 front/3240 rear); GCVW 11540. I’m using an Equalizer 6000# WDH. Tire pressures were 35psi front and 40 psi in the rear.

The route took us from Los Angeles to Colorado Springs via Flagstaff AZ and Durango CO. We easily made it over Wolf Creek Pass (10,856’); I never felt like we were low on power. Awesome! Returned via Albuquerque NM/Sedona AZ/Blythe CA, 3300 miles total. Averaged about 11.5 MPG towing (calculated using actuals), drove mostly around 62 MPH. In hilly/mountain areas I was in Sport mode, Normal mode on the flatter sections.

I did not use tow mode (because I didn’t know it existed until I got back and was poking around this forum). Had to deal with high winds a couple of times, the worst was a cross wind of about 25 MPH. That was a bit hairy, so we quit early that day.

A couple of times, I thought something was amiss with the engine. It felt like it lost power. After it happened the second time, I noticed that I could see a little bit of one side of the trailer out of one of my towing mirrors, which was not normal. The towing mirrors (https://www.etrailer.com/Towing-Mirrors/K-Source/KS69ZR.html) don’t have quite enough reach to see around the trailer. I realized the wind was pushing the front of the trailer enough to angle it a couple of degrees, resulting in a new view and scrubbing the tires enough to slow us down. That got my attention…

Otherwise, the rig handled great. I never felt any hint of sway, even when passing semi’s going the other direction on a two-lane road. I did practice hitting the trailer brake controller button on occasion, just in case things got out of hand, but never needed it. Very impressive truck!

I’m using a Haloview MC10 rear view camera, which works great. Very happy with it. Wireless from the camera to the monitor (no repeater). The monitor mounts over the rear view mirror in the truck, so checking behind me requires no new habits. I have the camera wired to the trailer parking (running?) lights, so turning the light switch to the first click turns on the camera. The monitor includes a front-facing camera and is recording constantly.

I couldn’t have been happier with pretty much everything - well, a bigger gas tank would be nice… Looking forward to our next trip, during which I’ll try out tow mode.
Sponsored

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
That's excellent to hear. That's a pretty good sized rig so what I have in mind someday should be no problem at all. Stay safe!

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
Truck weighed 5800#? I'm guessing driver, passengers and gear in the bed?

OP
OP

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Truck weighed 5800#? I'm guessing driver, passengers and gear in the bed?
My wife was not in the truck at the time (she was paying for the weigh); otherwise you are correct. The tongue weight was also included, since we were hooked up at the time.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Good to hear your experience. I give you a thumbs up on your Lance...they are very well built trailers and have a great reputation. I wish they were readily available here on the east coast, but no dealer within many hundreds of miles. Even used ones that show up occasionally bring high $$$
And, next time, use the tow mode...it is a night and day difference when towing. Even when not towing I use it for everyday driving...like driving a totally different truck.
Instead we have a Jayco 24TL on order, similar in size and weight to yours.
Safe travels any happy camping with your rig.:like:

Last edited:

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I was going to say the same thing as Steve, very nice camper. They are pretty rare here in the Midwest as well.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Carl, keep your eyes on the topic in the Towing for Clearview Towing Mirrors. Whole new ballgame for us that tow, instead of the strap on type. Hopefully available sometime early next year.

ATGC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thanks for the thorough towing report! I have very similar experience towing a slightly lighter and smaller twin axle camper. I suspected my Ranger could comfortably tow a larger unit, and your Lance is exactly the model I would upgrade to if I decided to go bigger. It is reassuring to know that my Ranger would be able to handle it well.
PS. I have the same rear view camera as you. Love it.

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
I recently towed my 16' Scamp and you really can't tell it's back there. I averaged about 15.5mpg ranging from 62-68mph. I used tow-haul, but I still had to lock out 10th gear as it would do a lot of shifting on rolling hills. 10/9/8 at about 62mph. Versus 9th which it tended to hold.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Good to hear, thanks. I am in Vegas and tow to UT and AZ regularly with our smaller '21 Geo Pro 19BH. Tows it so easily except cross winds are not too fun. I assume the single axle makes it tougher than a dual axle. In a couple years we may try moving up to a larger bunk house but want to keep the Ranger so your report gave me some peace of mind. Especially with the routes you took.

We also use a WDH, couldn't tow with out it.

ramondjode

First Name
Ramond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Jeep
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting experience! I'll be doing my first tow next week too.

Energy1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Architect
I did my first tow about six weeks ago from Yakima, WA to Caldwell, Idaho towing a Lance 2285 (27’) with an e2 WDH. I was worried that I would be overloaded, but the calculations showed that I was only near the limit. There was nothing in the trailer so the drive over the passes went flawlessly and there was plenty of power.
I can’t wait to dewinterize it and take it for my first
4AEC5455-A122-4669-8E74-4A1657EC8B3E.jpeg
real test.

OP
OP

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You are near the limit, so make sure your WDH is dialed in and you watch your weights. Power isn't the issue, but stability will be.

Good luck and happy travels in your Lance. We love ours.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The OP would have a tough time making it over Wolf Creek Pass yesterday and today - as would everyone else as it's been closed off and on, 3' of snow and another 2' expected this week. I live down the road some and well over 2' of snow in the last 3 weeks.
Sponsored