First Time Truck Owner need some advice...

idesi1

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Ignot Silver with 501A + Sport package
So this is my 1st truck (pick up) ever and really love it .
the truck is for work commute mainly and occasionally will use it to haul stuff as needed.
Being a 1st time owner I am not much familiar with the bed area so I have few question for the pro's here
1 what I need for tie downs,
2. oragnizing n securing groceries so it doesnt move all around,
3. hauling heavy stuff and secruing them,
4. can I use the bed to haul bikes instead of the hitch .
5. get a spray in bedliner or a drop in
6. should I also get a bed mat on top of the liners?
7. tri-fold tonnuea cover - does is save gas ? is it secure enough for highway ride.
8. I am looking to lower it from rear as I hate the current nose dive look , so will this anyway damage the truck or worsent the ride quality? and what should I look for if I do a level kit?

I have already ordered the Running boards, All weather floor liners, and will be getting a Tow pack install at Uhaul. Looking to do some other mods too later.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

TIA
Shad
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
the truck is for work commute mainly and occasionally will use it to haul stuff as needed.
Being a 1st time owner I am not much familiar with the bed area so I have few question for the pro's here
7. tri-fold tonnuea cover - does is save gas ? is it secure enough for highway ride.
8. I am looking to lower it from rear as I hate the current nose dive look , so will this anyway damage the truck or worsent the ride quality? and what should I look for if I do a level kit?

I have already ordered the Running boards, All weather floor liners, and will be getting a Tow pack install at Uhaul. Looking to do some other mods too later.

TIA
Shad
Hi Shad

1. I use the ratcheting strap diedowns available at almost home center.
2. I use a bed extender in its stored position for groceries
3. See #1
4. Yes...there are many DYI racks made of PVC tube for this purpose
5. Your choice...Plus and Minus for either.
6. Your choice...I have spray in and like it.
7. No...I did windtunnels at the lockeed windtunnel. actually increases drag and small degradation in FE.
8. Not a good idea as strike thrus increase. Bad for rear axle and frame kickup.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I will add my comments
  1. Ratchet straps are the best, but spider web bungees (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Spidy-Gear-80112-01-Small-Security/dp/B000CEBX5A) are great for certain things as well (covering tarps or loads of firewood). I also have a couple of straps that aren't ratchet straps that are easier to use for certain things - a combination of straps is best I think. Ratchet straps are absolutely the best for big stuff to keep it from moving around.
  2. I would agree with Phil - a bed extender works great for this
  3. See #1
  4. I have no experience with this, but I've thrown bikes in the back of my truck many times (not secured, just put in the back)
  5. I would absolutely opt for the spray in - I bought a bedrug on this truck (the first one I've had) and I like it. Best of both worlds, IMO is a spray in covered by a bed rug. I didn't want to spend the money for both, so I opted for a bedrug - I figured the worst that I would do is trash the bedrug and I'd get a spray in.
  6. If you get a spray in I would recommend a mat over top of it - it is helpful to have a big of cushion in the bed. The bedrug takes care of this if you go that route.
  7. I got a tri fold (Extang Solid Fold 2.0) on this truck - first time I've had one and I really like it. I didn't get it for any MPG increase, but to keep stuff in the bed dry and secure so I don't have to put it in the cab.
  8. I have no opinion on this. I've never lifted or lowered any of my trucks.
Once you have a pickup you will wonder how you ever got along without one. I use mine regularly to haul stuff.

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase

TIA
Shad

Hey Shad,

Congrats on getting your first truck...you started with a great one!

Phil and Redland pretty much nailed it with their suggestions.

Ratcheting straps are fantastic...we use them at work for strapping down all types of heavy cargo, but the bungee cargo nets are perfect for lighter stuff. Grab both...they’re cheap and you’ll use them

Gotta do a spray in bed liner. However my last Ranger had a drop in plastic type and it actually was really good for sliding a mountain bike into the bed, but smaller stuff tended to slide around while driving. Things seem to stay put better with the spray in type as they’ve got a rough texture.

As for hauling bikes, I made a great pvc bike rack for my last Ranger, but I’m really loving the tailgate pad I have on my new truck. Look into them if you plan to cart bikes around often.

I’ve seen that people have been buying a 3” lift leveling kit for their Rangers. They’re lifting the front with the kit to bring the front up a bit to better match the height of the bed.

Enjoy!
Jason

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the others accept that for the grocery issue, a 2x8 cut to with works, I had a wire shelf on the hand I cut it to length and it works great

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Search Tuff Viking. They make a nice organizer.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. That matches what Phil said too. I still like my tonneau cover.
Hi Folks,

Hey...Lockheed wind tunnel is scheduled 24/7...our slot was somewhere around 2am. We did a ton of testing to see what it would take to SCCA Saleen racing Rangers that I built at Livernoise to the next level of aero. We were measuring required areohorsepower. We found that covering the bed with a toueau cover increased aerohorsepower. What helped was a 6" strip of aluminum across the back of the pickup box by the tailgate. However that gain was minor. I spend a sleepless night and $20,000, but we learned a ton about the aerodynamics of the Ranger in its day. So tailgate down or up...no difference. Take away is that aero is not intuitive visually...

Back story, Ford SVO found out I was at Lockheed and they wanted to get testing on the Saleen Mustang with this giant rear spoiler on the trunk, so I agreed to allow, on my dime, the Mustang time in the tunnel if we got our data on the Ranger. I was amused to see if this huge spoiler actually worked as it was to create such downforce on the rear of the Mustang at speed. I was helping Saleen with the Mustangs in the the endurance series, and nothing made sense in terms of handling as the cars were always loose and with this huge rear spoiler they should have glued to the track....Well...results of this was the spoiler created 200 lbs of lift, not downforce, so the spoilers looked pretty and agressive, but was useless for real racing...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta love those counter-intuitive things lol. Thanks for sharing that, Phil :D

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

TIA
Shad
I'll Play

1. I went with the cargo net. https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Stretches-Aluminum-Carabiners-Universal/dp/B07BMY46VM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=RXCUJI28WSS4&keywords=cargo+nets+for+pickup+trucks&qid=1567961669&s=gateway&sprefix=cargo+net,aps,142&sr=8-3

2.I use a ratchet bar. https://www.amazon.com/Sparehand-Adjustable-Self-Locking-Ratchet-Vehicles/dp/B0002BLMG8/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2LFTGMDJHMJK3&keywords=ratchet+bar+for+truck+bed&qid=1567961633&s=gateway&sprefix=rtachet+bar,aps,145&sr=8-6

3. Again a Ratchet bar or bed extender ( I don't care for bed extenders unless one is carrying motorcycles.)

4 Yes

5 Neither. Just buy a Bed Rug Mat https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Bed+Rug+Mat+2019+ford+ranger&ref=nb_sb_noss

6 I wouldn't use it on a BedRug

7 Not a fan of tri-folds, I use TruXedo Lo Pro soft roll-up. https://truxedo.com/lopro

8 For a cheap level; t at won't affect the street ride and a 2.5 spacer to raise the front slightly https://www.pandamotorworks.com/col...ducts/2-5in-ford-leveling-kit-2019-ranger-4wd

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered the ratchet bar...looks handy.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
+50 on the 2x4. I cut mine to the width of the bed, and then put something like a 30 degree angle on each end. It seems to work great.

Aaand in no particular order :)

I use regular old ratchet straps for just about everything, my brother in law has a super cool spider web looking thing with carribeaners to hook it down (only works without bedliner, or spray in only).

I have a gator roll up tonneau cover, and it's awesome. No water leaks, only dirt comes in the tailgate gap at the bottom (This is a truck defect).

I have a drop in liner, and i like that it's tough, and hard to hurt.

I've also hauled 6 mountain bikes in the bed, they all fit, but there wasn't a lot of room left for other stuff, and I had to take off the front wheels.

In a 4x4 I'd raise the front if you want it level, maybe drop the rear in a 4x2, but I'm pretty much all for higher unless racing is involved, except when it's mud, rock, or desert racing.
Sponsored