Factory trailer plug not wired correctly?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
IIRC when I was under there poking around the trailer connectors, the wires were thin, maybe 16 gauge. checking the capri site, what they charge for the extra battery, I doubt they include a charge controller. you spent a crap ton $ on the camper so don't skimp on a little part that will help with battery charging. check out redarc systems. they are well worth the price and piece of mind. you can also jump your truck off it if your main battery dies.

I'd also take it in for the dealer to check the plug
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would assume trailer charge is regulated the same way it charges the truck battery or at least controlled by the trailer module. So a separate battery charge controller would be pointless.
But we all know what happens when you assume. :p

To the OP:
It should operate how you would expect once it recognizes/sees the trailer. I wouldn't go hacking up wiring just yet.

OP
OP
banerjek

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Gotta thank you guys for solving my problem. Before wiring in some resistors, I decided to do an internet search to see if someone produced exactly what I needed, and turns out they do.

At $25, I'm happy to avoid the hassle of figuring out exactly what load it will take to trip the thing off and mess with the soldering iron. I tested it, the truck instantly detected it, got plenty of voltage, and I'm a happy camper (literally).

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Gotta thank you guys for solving my problem. Before wiring in some resistors, I decided to do an internet search to see if someone produced exactly what I needed, and turns out they do.

At $25, I'm happy to avoid the hassle of figuring out exactly what load it will take to trip the thing off and mess with the soldering iron. I tested it, the truck instantly detected it, got plenty of voltage, and I'm a happy camper (literally).
Interesting, reading what this does. My TT has LED lights and I have no issues with my truck detecting the trailer. Maybe my trailer has built-in resisters for this. Funny we haven't heard of this before now. ?

danotech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Phil
Running, brake, and turn signals are working. Trailer brakes work fine also. The interior lights do not operate. Also, I do not get any messages that trailer is not connected or disconnected.
Trailer operates as expected. What do I need to do to get the interior lights working?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Phil
Running, brake, and turn signals are working. Trailer brakes work fine also. The interior lights do not operate. Also, I do not get any messages that trailer is not connected or disconnected.
Trailer operates as expected. What do I need to do to get the interior lights working?
@danotech, just a couple questions, does your trailer have a battery? Is it charged? Do you get the dash messages that the trailer is connected and rear sensors and cross traffic detection are disabled.

Interior trailer lights normally run off the trailer battery. The 12v feed to the trailer only works if the truck detects the trailer and it is running. This is a safety feature, so you can't drain the truck battery.

danotech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
@danotech, just a couple questions, does your trailer have a battery? Is it charged? Do you get the dash messages that the trailer is connected and rear sensors and cross traffic detection are disabled.

Interior trailer lights normally run off the trailer battery. The 12v feed to the trailer only works if the truck detects the trailer and it is running. This is a safety feature, so you can't drain the truck battery.
It does have a battery. I’ll have to check the charge. Was thinking it charged while connected. I do not get any indication that is connected other than exterior lights working as intended. I have the SXT with no BLISS or sensors. Got some homework.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It does have a battery. I’ll have to check the charge. Was thinking it charged while connected. I do not get any indication that is connected other than exterior lights working as intended. I have the SXT with no BLISS or sensors. Got some homework.
Do you have the factory tow package? If you have an afterarket 7 pin connector it may not have the 12v pin connected properly. Could also be why your not getting a trailer connected message. You should get that message when you start the truck and step on the brake. A dead battery may also be causing the problem.

danotech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Big Blue, went and checked the battery and it was good. Had a bit of corrosion on the trailer plug hot wire. Cleaned it off first. Started the truck no interior lights. Started the truck with brake on and lights! Started truck without brake then depressed brake.. lights came on. I do not have sensors so do not get message. I don’t think I have that function. Only trailer related setting is sway on/off.
so, I think my issue was corrosion and/or sequence with brake. My guess is that is when the truck seeks whether it has a trailer attached.
Problem solved. Thanks for the advice!!
Sponsored