Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
More like hydrogen wasn't the answer. " Using dirty energy to make clean energy doesn't solve the pollution problem-it just moves it around. "As a CO2 reducer, hydrogen stinks,"
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a926/4199381/
Inside your article:
"... ELECTROLYSIS: Most of the remainder of today's hydrogen is made by electrically splitting water into its constituent parts, hydrogen and oxygen. This year, a PM Breakthrough Award went to GE's Richard Bourgeois for designing an electrolyzer that could drastically reduce the cost of that process. ..."

Seeing your article reminded me that in 1973-74, I had read in Popular Mechanics that someone in Japan had created the same thing with an electrolysis compound and they used a Mazda RX3 as the test vehicle. Filling tank with water/chemical, it split the water into component parts, used hydrogen in the wankle engine and by product oxygen. I saw the article in another Popular Science and then it "disappeared" from public consumption.

Interesting that they down play something like it again because they have to use electrical grid for electrolysis...
Sponsored

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I like that EVs got the memo on range and power. Low 0-60 times and 200+ mile ranges are a hit. The charging time and places to charge will both improve. The solid state stuff is quite promising.

Putting environmental or political stuff aside - it won't be too long before EVs are a more attractive value proposition to a new car buyer than ICE. The 2008 Toyota Matrix in our garage is getting long in the tooth and with WFH, it's rarely driven therefore we have decided that the car that will replace it will be EV and that purchase will be made in 2023 as a new crop of EVs hit the market.
Give me a 300 mile range and a <15 minute charge to another 300 mile range and I'm ALL IN. I service my own vehicles and not having to change engine oil, trans/diff/powersteering fluid anymore is some nice icing on the cake.

Considering how horny this country is for trucks and SUVs - once those things can do 300+ miles while towing and then recharge in 15-20 minutes, it will be hard to sell me a Truck with an ICE - hell, it will be hard for the OEMs to justify building them and at that point ICEs will be like Manual Transmissions. But achieving this a level of energy storage and delivery that isn't immediately around the corner.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I will honk at you eco boys waiting in line to plug in your toys. They will probably serve you drinks and soylent green pills while you wait. LOL Exxon charge stations will charge more because they have special additives. What Amp will you run? LOL in case of fire run fast.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I will honk at you eco boys waiting in line to plug in your toys. They will probably serve you drinks and soylent green pills while you wait. LOL Exxon charge stations will charge more because they have special additives. What Amp will you run? LOL in case of fire run fast.
Hey now what are you doing sitting at a computer like some nerd when all the real men are outside doing real things? When I was a kid, people spoke about computers the same way you speak of EVs. Times are changing. What seems niche today ends up popular tomorrow. What we aren't capable of today we seem to find a way to do tomorrow.

As I keep saying, half of the stuff discussed in these threads is already old news or obsolete information. In particular to your comment, EV batteries have been developed that can be charged in just 5 minutes. There are still hurdles preventing that from materializing, sure, but the list of hurdles is rapidly shrinking thanks to people coming up with solutions. By the time EVs are really commonplace, 5 minute charging will probably also be commonplace. The grid will have probably adjusted for it. We don't really know, so it seems silly to say EVs are bad because of how things are today. They're still in their infancy. You wouldn't judge someone's life a waste at age 5 would you?

I think these threads are a waste of time because it's clear to me that half the people in them are fixated on old problems that have often already been solved, but they are committed to their viewpoint or brainwashed into thinking everything opposing it is bad.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If the business that you are in only uses all the generality's that you use then I will be long dead before your scenario will appear. Me thinks that your money is invested in your ideology.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it's bc I'm in IT and deal with cutting edge technology every day but I'm all for the EV migration. Best vehicles to drive, best technology, better features, almost silent and doesn't stink like oil and gas.

Almost no time spent maintaining the vehicle which leaves more time to drive. Never stop at a gas station to buy $50 of of liquid that disappears in 2 days. Take 2 seconds at end of day to plug in vehicle and it's full in the morning at a max cost of $9 for 300 miles($9 @ 2.80/gallon and 20mpg would get my 64 miles in my 2019 Ranger) Plus with solar I'm my own fuel station as long as the sun shines.

sklnbnz

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
The number of EV Charging stations with huge diesel generators sitting right next to them tells me that they are planning ahead for blackouts or other power issues, even though it seems counter productive to run a diesel generator to charge the emission friendly EV's.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Maybe it's bc I'm in IT and deal with cutting edge technology every day but I'm all for the EV migration. Best vehicles to drive, best technology, better features, almost silent and doesn't stink like oil and gas.

Almost no time spent maintaining the vehicle which leaves more time to drive. Never stop at a gas station to buy $50 of of liquid that disappears in 2 days. Take 2 seconds at end of day to plug in vehicle and it's full in the morning at a max cost of $9 for 300 miles($9 @ 2.80/gallon and 20mpg would get my 64 miles in my 2019 Ranger) Plus with solar I'm my own fuel station as long as the sun shines.

Liquid energy doesn’t bother me. Shorter range and long charge cycles do. Fix that within my budget and we’ll have another look.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Liquid energy doesn’t bother me. Shorter range and long charge cycles do. Fix that within my budget and we’ll have another look.
Toyota may have that answer first: Can Toyota take pole in the solid-state battery race? (techwireasia.com)

from article said:
The two biggest drawbacks of electric cars — limited range and slow charging — will likely persist until battery makers can solve the dendrite problem. It’s estimated that a solid-state car could have a range of 1000 kilometers (621 miles) and take 10 minutes to charge. Solid-state batteries deteriorate less over time, and Toyota aims to retain 90% of the battery’s performance over a 30-year lifespan. Toyota leads the solid-state battery patent count, owning over 1,000 patents related to the technology.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Interesting...will the Greenies give up their opposition to nuclear power?
I’m not a greenie but nuclear has too much baggage. I’m holding out hope for fusion. It may be a fools errand but IMHO commercially available fusion energy would change the world.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I guess you don't understand. Going all green power and switching to EV's is the only moral and correct way to move forward. It just feels good doing so. And if it feels good and seems morally superior, then all facts that try to point out the reasons why it's not the smart thing to do are obviously wrong and contrived.

Don't worry though, I will get you caught up to speed in the way you are supposed to think.... :wink:
You need to write in the sarcasm font.
Sponsored