lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hoover already has lost its ability to produce 25% of its rated power. They are next door to our power plant.
I am still at a loss as to why area's of the country decide to live in a desert where water is not abundant.
Sponsored

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Where’s that one Californucator that gave Texas shit for the February grid issues ?

Looks like we are in the same boat, dude. Let’s see what state keeps their power on longer this summer ?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
So, EV's make up less than 2% of the US car market, so I would suspect that any rolling black outs are due to outdated grid systems, overloaded substations, and population growth without the infrastructure keeping pace. We charge our EV during the day, mainlly because I have 6KW of solar panels and 2 Tesla powerwalls to power both my house and car charging needs. In the last month I have used NO grid power at all, and have sent 400KWH back to the grid, which I use during the winter months. If the power company would let me add 10 more panels I could be grid independent 90% of the year. So I think you can blame the blackouts on hotter weather, outdated grid systems, and population growth. I mean.... who ever thought building a city in the desert was a good idea?

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I am still at a loss as to why area's of the country decide to live in a desert where water is not abundant.
Because in the fall, winter and spring it’s awesome. Hardly any snow. I can think of a few good reasons. I’m originally from the North East and I’m slowly learning about adapting to this environment. I wear long sleeve solar shirts and hoodies in 100+ degree weather (sun is relentless). Always carry a yeti cooler full of ice and water, and a small tent just in case of a break down out in the middle of nowhere. Small things like that.

but you’re right, if you’re talking SHTF scenario…..I’d take my Yankee ass back north and east if it came to that. Everything you need to be self reliant with little to no help.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
You must be a hoot at parties.
what's my handle on the forum? ya that's right but I look at life like this- any day in the front seat is good day. you get it? huh? hippies usually don't

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I agree with this but remember one thing. The ones who are making the decisions don't have any common sense so more than likely the opposite will happen. :(
There was some really god R&D happening with Hydrogen until some politicians realized they didn't have a way to get money in their pockets from the outcome. Thusly that R&D was killed, and tons of money was thrown at Solyndra. And we all know how that played out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So, EV's make up less than 2% of the US car market, so I would suspect that any rolling black outs are due to outdated grid systems, overloaded substations, and population growth without the infrastructure keeping pace. We charge our EV during the day, mainlly because I have 6KW of solar panels and 2 Tesla powerwalls to power both my house and car charging needs. In the last month I have used NO grid power at all, and have sent 400KWH back to the grid, which I use during the winter months. If the power company would let me add 10 more panels I could be grid independent 90% of the year. So I think you can blame the blackouts on hotter weather, outdated grid systems, and population growth. I mean.... who ever thought building a city in the desert was a good idea?
I don't think many are saying that the rolling blackouts are caused by EV's now. I think they're (me included) are saying our grid system sucks now and adding more will only make it much worse.

I have solar at my house too and mine is a little smaller than yours but it does handle 100% of my needs. I don't have any battery backup because at the time it was really expensive and in the past 6 years we've only had one outage which lasted 90 minutes. What really sucks is the electric companies keep changing the rules making it harder to be independent from them! My house is grandfathered in for 20 years with them not being able to mess with my rates or my net metering, I only pay $16.00/month which are taxes and fees. But here's the kicker, if I want to add more panels I lose all that. So basically you get penalized for wanting to update your system here and now if I want to get an EV vehicle my system will more than likely not cover the 100% that it does now. Sure I can add more panels but I now lose all my benefits. So where's the incentive for me to go green?

Who would've thought building a city in the desert was a good idea? Probably the same ones who thought it was a good idea to build one that's at or below sea level. New Orleans. ;)

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Another thing I to keep in mind about living here in the desert is if the grid ever went down for any length of time here I can easily jump in my truck and drive 2 1/2 hours north to where it's much cooler. I hate camping but I could pitch a tent and still survive until power was restored and my house would still be fine. The only problem would be in July and August where the humidity rises and mold could set in but other than that I'd much rather be here than in souther states where it's a lot more humid.

Try doing that in the N'east or mid west in the middle of winter, you can't. Your pipes would burst and you'd have to drive days to get out of the cold weather.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Another thing I to keep in mind about living here in the desert is if the grid ever went down for any length of time here I can easily jump in my truck and drive 2 1/2 hours north to where it's much cooler. I hate camping but I could pitch a tent and still survive until power was restored and my house would still be fine. The only problem would be in July and August where the humidity rises and mold could set in but other than that I'd much rather be here than in souther states where it's a lot more humid.

Try doing that in the N'east or mid west in the middle of winter, you can't. Your pipes would burst and you'd have to drive days to get out of the cold weather.
But, but… We got tons of wood to burn to heat and lots of fresh spring water. ?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Passing a law banning farts is the answer. The fart-control movement is gaining ground too.
Can't say "farts", it's...[fill in the P/C blank] and you will be deconsecrated :LOL:

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
what's my handle on the forum? ya that's right but I look at life like this- any day in the front seat is good day. you get it? huh? hippies usually don't
I try to stay in the glass half full mode. Constant pessimism can eat you alive. What’s a hippy in 2021?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
There was some really god R&D happening with Hydrogen until some politicians realized they didn't have a way to get money in their pockets from the outcome. Thusly that R&D was killed, and tons of money was thrown at Solyndra. And we all know how that played out.
More like hydrogen wasn't the answer. " Using dirty energy to make clean energy doesn't solve the pollution problem-it just moves it around. "As a CO2 reducer, hydrogen stinks,"
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a926/4199381/

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
That argument lost traction when the Romans installed aqueducts. We can engineer a living environment on Mars. Phoenix and Antarctica are easier.
Sponsored