First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I’m worried the wear & tear on the starter will out way the benefits.
I am highly skeptical that modern starters will have any issue at all with this. Auto stop/start has been around for some time on many makes and models and we would be hearing about starter failure by now. Guessing Phil would be able to add some more color here.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The nightlight is the easiest (and cheapest) way to disable it. I've had mine plugged in for 2 years now and never have to think about pushing the button. Before the nightlight I'd always forget to push it as this is my first vehicle with A/S/S. I hate it and the savings for me is minimal as I only put around 8000 miles/year on my Ranger. For the extra buck or two I might save in gas it's not worth the hassle for me.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Turn the truck off then shift to Park. Problem solved.

Edit: see you have the lariat. Maybe you can press the ignition button to turn the truck OFF then shift to park.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I am highly skeptical that modern starters will have any issue at all with this. Auto stop/start has been around for some time on many makes and models and we would be hearing about starter failure by now. Guessing Phil would be able to add some more color here.
To each there own

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
you'll spend more money replacing tires and brakes than you ever will replacing a starter
Tires and brakes whether I put a starter on or not. What’s the point?

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
they are all consumable items. you use them....you wear them out.
the starter is no different.
thankfully they designed the started to last longer than the other two. probably alot longer.

if you're going to sit here and worry about the starter and it wearing out, park your truck...dont drive it. things are wearing out every foot you roll down the road.

the starter is currently on sale for $142, regular pricing of $158 with a core charge of $35.
The starter has so many cycles. Disabling a.s.s. will make it last longer. Simple math.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The starter has so many cycles. Disabling a.s.s. will make it last longer. Simple math.

I know they say the starter is designed for A/S/S but I do agree with this. The more you use it the quicker it will fail just like most anything else. If people like it then great use it, me personally I hate it and never got use to it. Now I wouldn't pay $90.00 to disable it but a $3.00 nightlight does the trick. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
this is going to be one of those eh? LOL

anyways, using some fat math, i have 48000km on my truck.
my average drive is 15km and i hit about 12 lights on the way.
that's 3200 average trips and a potential of 38400 activations of the ASS.
add on the first start of the day and i'm around 40000 starts on my starter already.

that's a worst case scenario, so lets just dumb it down completely in half to 20000 because we know i don't drive that exact scenario every day.

I can see your point, but its based on dreams, pixie dust and unicorns.
On facts, I have roughly 20000 starts and still going strong.
Granted it could fail tomorrow, but compared to starters I have had that have failed on my older cars, this hasn't shown one hint of trouble yet.

* show of hands to any member who has replaced their failed starter already?? (the number will be low i reckon)

If you want to continue to sprinkle pixie dust on your starters longevity, remember how cheap it is to replace. more fat math, even if i have a dealer install a new starter at a whopping $1000 all in, that comes out to $0.02 per km cost.

cover your windshield to protect from rocks on the highway.
turn of any bulb, they burn out faster if you use them
put some tire socks on your tires to reduce the wear
coast to all stops, dont ever touch that brake
dont even turn on your ac or heat, heaven forbid that motor burns out
windows stay up
seatbelts...dont click them...oh boy, the wear on the tab will be horrendous compared to not using it.
and lets not forget the seats. take them right out and replace them with lawn chairs to ensure the fabric and foam lasts
and to top it all off, change your oil every 10miles....it'll save you an engine rebuild at 400000 miles.
Darn, that's a lot of thought this early in the morning. lol You're slacking RP, in your analogies you forgot the most important one. You'll ruin your tailgate letting it fall 75,000 times without a damper. :wink:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5

add on the first start of the day and i'm around 40000 starts on my starter already.

that's a worst case scenario, so lets just dumb it down completely in half to 20000 because we know i don't drive that exact scenario every day.

Granted it could fail tomorrow, but compared to starters I have had that have failed on my older cars, this hasn't shown one hint of trouble yet.

* show of hands to any member who has replaced their failed starter already?? (the number will be low i reckon)

If you want to continue to sprinkle pixie dust on your starters longevity, remember how cheap it is to replace. more fat math, even if i have a dealer install a new starter at a whopping $1000 all in today, that comes out to $0.02 per km cost.

windows stay up
seatbelts...dont click them...oh boy, the wear on the tab will be horrendous compared to not using it.
and lets not forget the seats. take them right out and replace them with lawn chairs to ensure the fabric and foam lasts
and to top it all off, change your oil every 10miles....it'll save you an engine rebuild at 400000 miles.
I don't think I would be a good Canadian boy if I didn't back up my compatriot RP.

And I have a theory that most Americans don't like A/S/S because it was mandated by the federal gubbermint, next thing they will coming for mah guns!!!!

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR

If you want to continue to sprinkle pixie dust on your starters longevity, remember how cheap it is to replace. more fat math, even if i have a dealer install a new starter at a whopping $1000 all in today, that comes out to $0.02 per km cost.

windows stay up
You do you bud…enjoy your truck like I am. ??

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't think I would be a good Canadian boy if I didn't back up my compatriot RP.

And I have a theory that most Americans don't like A/S/S because it was mandated by the federal gubbermint, next thing they will coming for mah guns!!!!
For me it has nothing to do with the govt mandating it (but I do hate mandates) I just don't like it and don't feel it save me any money. I guess if you're the type who drives in a lot of stop and go traffic it might save you money over the long haul. I just don't think it's worth a couple a bucks a year savings for something I hate. ?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I read something a while back about ASS and starters. I don't have the details so take it for what it's worth. The author said starters once got around 50k cycles before going bad. Todays starters can get 500k cycles. So wear and tear is probably not a big deal.

But, if it bugs you don't use ASS. But, I don't remember the last time I replaced a starter. Probably on my 1984 Toyota corolla that had 250K miles on it when I donated it.
Sponsored