First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I honestly don’t even notice the injectors tick. All I hear is that little actuator squeak right after start up.
I feel like i hear that squeak from the engine bay after i open the driver door. Maybe its a different squeak then when the engine starts? I don't know if i have heard that one or if its the same one.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I feel like i hear that squeak from the engine bay after i open the driver door. Maybe its a different squeak then when the engine starts? I don't know if i have heard that one or if its the same one.
Ya I only hear it outside the truck. It’s common, mine has done it since day 1

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I guess that’s possible, sounds bazaar though. That would be a funny conversation at Ford.. (Ford Engineer #1)-“let’s quite the injectors down with a plastic engine cover” (Engineer #2)-“ Ya let’s do that, but eff the XL and XLT owners, just give it to the lariat guys”
The ranger has way less artificial segmentation than it's competitors, I can't fault them for extra sound deadening in their top trim.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
I guess that’s possible, sounds bazaar though. That would be a funny conversation at Ford.. (Ford Engineer #1)-“let’s quite the injectors down with a plastic engine cover” (Engineer #2)-“ Ya let’s do that, but eff the XL and XLT owners, just give it to the lariat guys”
Since Ford won't be doing it, I think one of you members with the cover should pick up an SPL meter (better invest in a quality one with a decent degree of sensitivity) and do some controlled tests for us. Be good to quantify the noise level differences. (yes, tongue is firmly in cheek)

I honestly don’t even notice the injectors tick. All I hear is that little actuator squeak right after start up.
You wanna hear some serious cold injector noise, hop in an older Tundra with 4.7l. Still have my '03 and took it to the dealer for its second round of inflator replacements this morning. I had forgotten how loud they are! I was also reminded why I thought the Ranger had the steering of an old Buick (just to complement that bouncy suspension). Funny how heavy the Tundra's felt this morning. That or my rusted rack and lines work (2 separate jobs, yahoo) has left it with no boost.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I think the only purpose of the cover is to help quiet down the injectors. I don't really think it is for looks, but maybe I'm wrong.
Agree.
Not really a cover like other vehicles. More like a block. Interesting feel. Soft to absorb sound, I agree.

Last edited:

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I bought BOTH the engine cover and the tailgate dampener!

For the OP, if you want to get either part, search this forum for recommendations on where to buy them. You will easily save ~$20 on both items.

I thought the engine bay looked terrible without the Lariat cover. Agreed it is not functional, but I like the look MUCH better.

Leave my tailgate dampener alone! LOL I don’t know where this open dislike and need to browbeat other Ranger Brothers comes from if they want one.

Peace!

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Since Ford won't be doing it, I think one of you members with the cover should pick up an SPL meter (better invest in a quality one with a decent degree of sensitivity) and do some controlled tests for us. Be good to quantify the noise level differences. (yes, tongue is firmly in cheek)

You wanna hear some serious cold injector noise, hop in an older Tundra with 4.7l. Still have my '03 and took it to the dealer for its second round of inflator replacements this morning. I had forgotten how loud they are! I was also reminded why I thought the Ranger had the steering of an old Buick (just to complement that bouncy suspension). Funny how heavy the Tundra's felt this morning. That or my rusted rack and lines work (2 separate jobs, yahoo) has left it with no boost.
The 4.7L V8 in the '04 and older Tundra's are an engineering marvel. IMO

Retamaman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Magnetic Sport, 2020 Genesis G80 3.8L
One of the nice things about being an "old geezer" is your hearing starts to go and you don't hear the "clatter" and "squeaks". My XLT sounds great :crackup:

agbulling

First Name
Aziz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2018 Indian Chieftain Vintage
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army CW4, I.T. Project Manager
I finally got around to working on my engine cover.

1. I painted it with 2 coats of adhesion promoter,
  2. Painted it with gloss black high temp paint next,
  3. Painted the ecoBoost letter and symbols with Tester paints and ultra fine brushes
  4. Cut out flat plastic to fit certain areas on the cover and painted them with paint I had mixed loaded in a rattle can at NAPA.
  5. Glued the painted plastic sheets to the covers,
  6. Painted the entire cover with two coats of Clear.
  7. Went to the junk yard and to an emblem off an Explorer, carefully shaved the FORD off the engine cover with and Xacto saw.
  8. Glued the Blue oval emplem to the cover.
  9. I attached the cover with 2 Thule three wing knobs

20200119_170821[1].jpg

Retamaman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Magnetic Sport, 2020 Genesis G80 3.8L
Very nice Aziz!

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
20200119_170821[1].jpg
[/QUOTE]

Do you worry about the paint due to the cover being flexible foam? Wonder if it will crack or peel.

Last edited:

ZCoker

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 Mini Cooper Clubman, 1981 Porsch Slantnose (550hp), 1980 BMW 528i (750hp)
For what it's worth, Lotta folks here refer to this engine cover as a "plastic cover" when in fact it's not. It's a thick foam-like sound deadening material and does quiet things down a bit. Works well.
Sponsored