First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Did anyone else not get a engine cover when purchasing their truck? My 2020xlt does not have one. I’m pissed to actually buy a truck for that much and not get one! Did anyone get one with their 2020 that wasn’t a lariat?
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Did anyone else not get a engine cover when purchasing their truck? My 2020xlt does not have one. I’m pissed to actually buy a truck for that much and not get one! Did anyone get one with their 2020 that wasn’t a lariat?
Far as I know its Lariat only. Many buy it on their own.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
yup Ford cost savings :-/
My parts guy bought one and said there are better places to spend your money....

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Only comes with the Lariat Trim. The engine shroud is one of several things I think should come standard on an XLT. Another would be LED lights and color matched door handles/mirror caps. Likewise, an exhaust tip should come on the Lariat and not the XLT. But it is what it is. ?‍♂

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Only comes with the Lariat Trim. The engine shroud is one of several things I think should come standard on an XLT. Another would be LED lights and color matched door handles/mirror caps. Likewise, an exhaust tip should come on the Lariat and not the XLT. But it is what it is. ?‍♂
LED lights are +- $1200 per corner... Halogen headlights <$10.... Incandescent taillights <$2
Glad the STX doesn't have LED.
I'll Prolly get the engine cover on a future trip to the salvage yard, (if I ever want one)

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
LED lights are +- $1200 per corner... Halogen headlights <$10.... Incandescent taillights <$2
I'm liking my LED lights even more now that you mention their price - besides the fact that being older they do help with making nighttime driving safer for me, have xeons on my Saab and those are nice as well along with auto dimming rear and side mount mirrors. I don't think the Ranger's side mirrors auto dim.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is an XL and at first I thought that I would buy a eng cover but after driving it for a year and a half I dont see the need. In fact there is nothing on a XLT or a Lariat that I want. ?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm liking my LED lights even more now that you mention their price - besides the fact that being older they do help with making nighttime driving safer for me, have xeons on my Saab and those are nice as well along with auto dimming rear and side mount mirrors. I don't think the Ranger's side mirrors auto dim.
Until one fails and you have to cough up the cash.
I have headlight and taillight bulbs in stock for my vehicles.
I'm "older" as well, so corrective lenses and eye exams for such things as cataracts are important, but the stock headlights are more than adequate, especially on modern roadways.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lighting is subjective but the IIHS rated the Rangers headlights as marginal - article I don't believe mentions the trim but I'd assume they are the halogens. Ill take the leds irrespective of cost - I find them to be more effective.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/06/2019-ford-ranger-crash-tests-well-but-misses-a-top-award.html
Never out drive your headlights... as a factor in crash worthiness, referencing headlights is just plain silly and distorts the facts.
Do you really think a replacement headlight is worth $1200? Irrespective? do you mean no cost is too much?

I think the headlight/ driving light combo on my Ranger is excellent without paying a ten thousand percent price increase at replacement for a marginal "improvement".
That amounts to extortion if not outright theft.

LEDs would have been a deal breaker for me.
Drive both at night and compare.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I'll Prolly get the engine cover on a future trip to the salvage yard, (if I ever want one)
Whatever makes you feel better and happy is all that matters.

I didn’t mention anything about STX, neither did OP. In fact this thread is about an engine cover on an XLT. But thanks for the letting us know about your feelings on your stx and making it about you.

Comparing the cost of a entire headlight housing ($1200 LED) with the cost of a bulb for your halogen headlights ($10) is weak and nonsensical. But I agree the led headlights are over priced. But so is everything.

Lastly, my comment is more about the looks. When someone pays $35,000 for their mid size truck (XLT) and it doesn’t have led highlights it is a shame (last truck (that I sold to buy the Ranger) was 04 dodge Dakota and had the same ugly brown color headlights). I have the lariat so I don’t care, I have them.

My perspective is this-

I bought new Mazda in 2009 that cost $25,000 and had HID lights (headlight, high beam and fog) AND a dial on the dash to lower the lights when you carried a full load. In 2009. I can see your truck or XL not having them.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Why are people replying to posts and NOT replying to the post. Is this some new way of making a statement that I'm not getting?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obijack;
You are right, the thread is about the engine cover, it was your mention of the LED lights which prompted my response, but thanks anyway for letting us know about your feelings on that irrelevant tangent... and making it all about you? ;)

BTW the comparison is apt unless you could replace the LED elements without replacing the entire assembly.
That would certainly make them more acceptable and a better value.

As for the engine cover,
At first I thought it was kinda cheap of Ford to leave it off, until I realized that it was at least in part about giving me the best Value of any truck on the market , while still reserving a few nice extras for those who are willing to pay for them
(like LED lights and color matched door handles/mirror caps and exhaust tips)

Last edited: