First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Hi everyone, I've done tons of reading on the subject but am still a little unsure of how to go about installing my eibach level kit and BDS shackles.

Right now, I'm considering installing it myself, minus the spring compressor death missile part (I'd find a shop to assemble the strut for me) then take it home and install.

Also considering having a shop do the whole thing, but ford wanted 850 to do just the front, excluding alignment! They insist that the entire knuckle needs to be taken off per side.

If I do it myself, I understand I'll want to undo the axel nut with a 35mm socket and knock it through the hub so that the hub is free for me to wrestle with, then retorque to 221ft lbs upon install, right?

If I have a shop do it, what are the chances that they'll know to free the axle nut as well as opposed to just ham fisting it?
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Hi everyone, I've done tons of reading on the subject but am still a little unsure of how to go about installing my eibach level kit and BDS shackles.

Right now, I'm considering installing it myself, minus the spring compressor death missile part (I'd find a shop to assemble the strut for me) then take it home and install.

Also considering having a shop do the whole thing, but ford wanted 850 to do just the front, excluding alignment! They insist that the entire knuckle needs to be taken off per side.

If I do it myself, I understand I'll want to undo the axel nut with a 35mm socket and knock it through the hub so that the hub is free for me to wrestle with, then retorque to 221ft lbs upon install, right?

If I have a shop do it, what are the chances that they'll know to free the axle nut as well as opposed to just ham fisting it?
I did it myself with the old school spring compressors. Honestly the hardest part was getting the top hat off the existing front struts without an impact gun. Ended up burning out the nylon bushing with a small torch. 2nd hardest was compressing the spring. The axel nut removal and re-torque is easy.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I did it myself with the old school spring compressors. Honestly the hardest part was getting the top hat off the existing front struts without an impact gun. Ended up burning out the nylon bushing with a small torch. 2nd hardest was compressing the spring. The axel nut removal and re-torque is easy.
There is usually a spot for a hex key or the shaft will have a provision for a small wrench or socket at the top of the stud on the strut, that allows you to take the nut off while keeping the shaft from spinning.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
There is usually a spot for a hex key or the shaft will have a provision for a small wrench or socket at the top of the stud on the strut, that allows you to take the nut off while keeping the shaft from spinning.
No hex key and yes on the small wrench but they were so incredible tight they stripped. Plus when you get to the end of the threads you run out of room for the small wrench. For me this was the toughest part of the job. Would have been easy with an impact gun.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
If you have the proper tools and generally good wrenching skills ( minus the spring comp stuff, just take it to a shop for that ) it's a pretty easy job, I had my Fox 2.0 kit in in less than 3 hours on a 100 degree day using basic hand tools and a floor jack. ( I can do a watercooled era VW all 4 corner suspension swap in under a half hour on the lift with air tools ). There is nothing in there difficult minus your choice of wrestle with the axle/knuckle to keep it from popping out or undoing the axle ( do that, too many stories on here of folks having a problem ). Watch the vids, take your time. When it comes time to put the top ball joint back in, wrap a damn ratcheting tie strap around the whole assembly and ratchet it back into place to start that nut rather than trying to yard it down. There is no reason to work " hard ", it's pretty grunt free work if you are smart, the trucks are pretty new, there shouldn't be anything rusted/frozen to screw with you.

OP
OP
armoredpig

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I think I'll give it a go! At least I know I'll be careful with my truck. Will post updates for future reference as I go.

I've got a nice 1/2" 350ft/lb 20v impact gun and a cheap 1/2" air impact gun.

I think if I double up on the compressors (4 instead of 2), if one breaks I'll be still be able to eat solid foods ?

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I got a quote from a reputable 4x4 shop for $850:eek:

Decided that it was worth an attempt even though I'd rather not endure the sweat, swearing and blood but that is one big chunk of change! Lot more than the kit! After all the drama (see my build), I was happy I knew who did this work and that it was going to be secure...nothing like pride in a job self done right!:like:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I did mine on my own aside from the spring installation. You’ll be fine, it’s a simple and straight forward job.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine on my own aside from the spring installation. You’ll be fine, it’s a simple and straight forward job.
Oh DIY spring installation is an experience not to be missed... you must indulge yourself lol...

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Oh DIY spring installation is an experience not to be missed... you must indulge yourself lol...

The VW fronts only had a little tension on them. you could lay them on their side after wrapping them in a bath towel and zing the top nut with an impact gun, it would only move a little bit. Putting the lowering spring back in it could be compressed enough with the impact gun to get it started, So easy.

These Ranger ones have some hard core preload, they will mess you up if not treated with serious respect.

OP
OP
armoredpig

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Y
The VW fronts only had a little tension on them. you could lay them on their side after wrapping them in a bath towel and zing the top nut with an impact gun, it would only move a little bit. Putting the lowering spring back in it could be compressed enough with the impact gun to get it started, So easy.

These Ranger ones have some hard core preload, they will mess you up if not treated with serious respect.
Yepppp, 2 sets of spring compressors it is!

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
hey hope you dont think im jumping in here but i installed rear shocks today and noticed that on both sides of rear leaf springs there is a + and - on the leafs in yellow pain just curious what that is for. did not want to start a thread to ask a simple question thanks

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
hey hope you dont think im jumping in here but i installed rear shocks today and noticed that on both sides of rear leaf springs there is a + and - on the leafs in yellow pain just curious what that is for. did not want to start a thread to ask a simple question thanks
Front and back i think. they are not equal length.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Getting 4 compressors on the springs might be a challenge, getting 2 to fit was hard enough. Shops have easy to use spring compressors, automated, i would just pay a shop to do the swap in a couple of hours. Rest of the stuff is easy. i had to drop the stabaizer bar brackets, as the link bolt jusy rotated even with an inpact. that works just as well though, drop both sides

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport