First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2 302a
Occupation
IT
Question for anyone that has done the Eibach front strut install or had a professional install done. Did you reuse the stock lower mounting bolts/nuts? Were you able to install them back in the factory orientation with the bolt pressed through the strut crossbar from the top and the nut on bottom? Did you end up buying new mounting bolts or installing them another way (bolt on bottom)?

From my first install attempt it seemed putting the bolts in from the top would be almost impossible since the shoulder of the bolt is quite a bit larger than the hole in the shock. The bolt does fit if I put it in from the bottom of the control arm with the nut on top but I figured there must be a reason it was designed to go the other way and ended up reinstalling the stock struts for now. Stage3 didn't have any advice for me other than to contact Eibach but I figured I'd go ahead and ask here first.
Sponsored

OP
OP
StarDestroyer172g

StarDestroyer172g

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2 302a
Occupation
IT
Interesting, I wonder if the full coilover comes with new bolts whereas the strut only which I purchased does not. I'm thinking I could probably go down to the hardware store and find some to fit. I just find it odd that Eibach wouldn't call that out in the instructions. The other issue with the stock bolts is they don't have a hex head on them so might be difficult to tighten or get loose down the line if they're not pressed in to the shock.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you do buy bolts from a box store make sure they’re grade 8 or better. Nuts too! Preferably flange nuts.

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, I wonder if the full coilover comes with new bolts whereas the strut only which I purchased does not. I'm thinking I could probably go down to the hardware store and find some to fit. I just find it odd that Eibach wouldn't call that out in the instructions. The other issue with the stock bolts is they don't have a hex head on them so might be difficult to tighten or get loose down the line if they're not pressed in to the shock.
Ah ok, different scenario. It is interesting and odd though.

Last edited:

Alex70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I reached out to Eibach directly by email after purchasing front struts that did not have the lower control arm bolts included. They sent me the bolts free of charge after I sent them my proof of purchase. Not sure if these strut kits are supposed to have these bolts included or not.

OP
OP
StarDestroyer172g

StarDestroyer172g

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2 302a
Occupation
IT
Update after completing the install today. I ended up using some grade 8 hardware from Lowe's. 1/2" x 3" bolts fit perfectly with washers top and bottom. Stage3, to their credit, offered to reimburse me for the hardware even though I feel like the issue is really on Eibach. I would definitely recommend going this way over trying to press the factory bolts out of the old shock and reuse them, if only for the time saving alone.

Some additional tips I learned along the way:
- Unbolt the speed sensor wire AND the brake line from the knuckle, this way you can leave the knuckle hanging without pulling on the brake line
- Use a large hammer to knock the upper ball joint lose before the tie rod, the tie rod comes out a lot easier this way
- To disassemble the factory shock, use a strut spring compressor and then just pull everything straight off over the little retaining ring. At first it looks like the bump stop won't come off but it does rather easily.
- When putting the shock back in, use a ratchet strap to bring the upper control arm down and into the knuckle, otherwise you'll probably need another person to help you here
- Personally, I left the Eibachs at factory ride height and didn't need an alignment afterwards

My initial impressions echo all the other reviews I've seen. This is how the truck should have come from the factory in my opinion. The rears made a huge difference, the front slightly less huge but still definitely worth doing. For those who don't quite understand rebound and compression rates, I would describe the change as just being more pleasant to drive. The truck doesn't rock back and forth as much around turns and you feel the bumps less through your seat and the steering wheel.

Thanks everyone who posted for your help!

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Same thing just happened to me. Got Eibach Pro-Truck front struts, no lower hardware in the box. Which I noticed AFTER I had transferred the spring over from the OEM strut. Went to Menards and got M12x1.75/80mm/grade 10.9 flange bolts and matching flange nuts. Worked perfectly. Eibach will be getting an email from me, however, requesting reimbursement.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I too did this, have a done a lot of trails and no sign of them loosening or coming out of spec.
I have a few "engineering rules" that I follow when doing design work - just some lessons learned over the years that make for better designs. One such rule is to always orient screws in such a way that they cannot fall out. This allows joints to stay joined, albeit loosely, and the overall structure to stay intact until the fastener can be replaced. It also makes assembly easier if you can just drop the screw in place.

This may work for now, but installing them this way is fundamentally flawed and introduces a failure mode that is easily eliminated by using the factory orientation. It may never happen, but it will cost dearly the day it does.
Sponsored